Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

City Hatters

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Has anyone here been to City Hatters in Victoria, Australia?

I understand it's an institution. Been around for many a year, has a great look, feel and location under Flinders St station. This is my second time in there, but I have to say the customer service is fairly sub standard. Both times, it's been this fellow (I can only deduce it's Steve Adams) who doesn't smile, doesn't engage and didn't acknowledge anyone except those at the register. The first time I went in, Lisa was there and she was friendly, but I got nothing from Steve. I even made purchases both times (today without even a thank you at the end of the transactions).

I feel like not going there, save for scanning the sales tables. On the flipside, I've been to Smart Alec in Collingwood and really had a good conversation there. They even notified me when a particular hat became available (months down the track). I should get to know the people who work there by name. Their range of hats isn't as broad, but service wise I'll be happier to spend my hard earned dough there, than an "institution".

If you've been to City Hatters and have had a good experience there, share them. I suppose this is a final chance kind of thing (maybe they were having a bad time on both visits) otherwise I'll withdraw my patronage.

ps I saw the moonstone Stylemaster there. The grey is darker than I thought it'd be, would be good with a black ribbon.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
G'day Munchy.
Yep I've been there but just to browse and enjoy the atmosphere of the old shop. The place has been a hatshop since God was a kid.
The guy behind the counter didn't move the whole time I was there. No offers of assistane and no acknowledgement that I was even there. I'd have bought a hat if he'd made an effort but decided I'd spend my money when I got back to Brisbane - which I did at a local hatshop a few days later.

As for the Stylemaster, my local hatshop pointed out that his latest shipment of moonstone SMs has gone back to fairly mundane dark grey ribbons. They appear to have abandoned the lovely grey/green ribbon of a few months ago. So the grey/green looks like being a limited edition.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Not been there yet I'm afraid, but how much service does one need? (genuine question not meant to be rhetorical)

I agree that there's nothing worse than bad service, but when I'm browsing hats I'm generally happy to be left alone to play until I have a specific need.

If I asked a question and then got a poor response I'd be pretty unhappy.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
munchausen said:
Has anyone here been to City Hatters in Victoria, Australia?

I understand it's an institution. Been around for many a year, has a great look, feel and location under Flinders St station. This is my second time in there, but I have to say the customer service is fairly sub standard. Both times, it's been this fellow (I can only deduce it's Steve Adams) who doesn't smile, doesn't engage and didn't acknowledge anyone except those at the register. The first time I went in, Lisa was there and she was friendly, but I got nothing from Steve. I even made purchases both times (today without even a thank you at the end of the transactions).

I feel like not going there, save for scanning the sales tables.

I went there whith Splatt et al when we did the Art Deco get together and I found it totally disappointing.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
elvisroe said:
Not been there yet I'm afraid, but how much service does one need? (genuine question not meant to be rhetorical)

I agree that there's nothing worse than bad service, but when I'm browsing hats I'm generally happy to be left alone to play until I have a specific need.

If I asked a question and then got a poor response I'd be pretty unhappy.

Well, in terms of service I would hope they would be able to read customers and know who to leave alone and who to talk to. I'm more likely to make a purchase when I'm engaged or feel that connection with the retailer. At least carry through on the basics when finalising purchases, at least talk to the customer and THANK (did I mention there was no smile or thank you?) them rather than simply processing the transaction.

As discussed in a previous forum, if you're a brick and mortar store competing against internet retailers you need something going for you. It's a little sad that all feedback received to date is underwhelming. It paints a picture and that store has a lot of potential.

I'll write to them as a point of feedback to my experiences to date.

Ephraim, thanks for that tidbit. The ribbon used made the moonstone Stylemaster more dull, but that explains it. Maybe I'll have to spring for that Federation after all.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Local boys thoughts...

I've been going there off an on since the late 80's and the current crop is interesting. When I first went there as a late teenager they really took the time to talk to me about hats, hat care and what would suit me. Recently I have had pretty similar experiences to munchausen at City Hatters. However Lisa is a real super star and I have to admit if I go there I tend to hope for her to be there. There is a bit of a feeling that the place is a little depressed - not something you want to feel when buying your next lid!

Smart Alec is an excellent shop and the owner seems to be very much up on what a modern hat wearer is after and thinks (even reads the Chap!). I love the place but not so happy on the range - seemed a little limited when I was there last. But service will probably send me there next time I can sneak another hat in!

elvisroe

A-List Customer
munchausen said:
At least carry through on the basics when finalising purchases, at least talk to the customer and THANK (did I mention there was no smile or thank you?) them rather than simply processing the transaction.

Agreed - there is no excuse for unfriendly service. I was briefly a barman once upon a time and the most satisfying thing about the job was making customers feel welcome and see them leave with a smile. Sitting around being glum is about the worst thing you can do for your own job satisfaction let alone your business.

Based on this feedback I don't thing I'll be rushing down there when next in Melbourne,

I'd be interested to hear if you get a response to your letter. My wife wrote 2 to the Queen Victoria building in Sydney after being treated very poorly while shopping for a wedding dress (despite being a 26 year old professional she looked very young and was treated like a schoolgirl out to play dress ups) She got no reply from management so we've never returned there and always repeat the story if friends are heading there.

Bad service and a bad response has gotta be costly - certainly more expensive than a smile and a "thanksverymuch"!

elvisroe

A-List Customer
re the Stylemaster, I was just given the Hampton in cruiser grey and the ribbon colour sounds similar. I'll post some pix in Akubra Overload sometime soon.

Nice hat, but poorly delivered by Strand Hatters, Syd. That's 2 strikes for them with me and I don't think I'll bother pitching for a 3rd.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
lol Strand and City Hatters - Two Aussie institutions and there's a bit of discontent.

I made a Brixton hats at City once and got no response so I imagine I won't get any regarding this, but will post any responses.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
City Hatters / Smart Alec Expedition

After reading these posts I felt it was time for an exploration:

Day one - Day before Christmas. Today's objective - City Hatters. After a traverse of the Bourke St Mall cravasse (lost Wilkinson, Tooky and some of the bearers) we achieved base camp in Dymocks and awaited clear weather to make our final assault on Flinders St and our objective. Leaving the majority of the baggage and support crew near "Teen Fiction" Carruthers and I began a climb up Swanston st and over the Flinders St floe. On achieving City Hatters we were confronted with a totally empty store - Christmas eve and not a creature was stirring etc. There were two shop assistants discussing how to "find the key to get you onto level 6 after you kill the dragon". Very distressing. On the return Carruthers was set upon by a pack of Bogans and torn apart. Cold dinner back at "Teen Fiction" then a return to home.

Day five - Monday back. Today's objective - Smart Alec. With the aid of four wheel drives we made it up Victoria Pde and turned into the Smith St jungle. The cars gave out at McDonalds due to heat and we progressed on foot with liberal use of machete on tourists and locals alike. Objective achieved: Smart Alec. The place was full of natives worshipping at the shrine of 'Hat' however due to their depredations the range and selection was pretty limited. Staff were friendly and very very helpful. Unfortunately one of our party made a sudden move towards the panamas and we escaped leaving the offender to the grizzly rights of the local gods - apparently he was sacrificed over a rather nice Homburg.

Day 8 - Return to City Hatters. Attempted the easier 'North face' and got in within minimal loss of life (Taylor lost climbing the 'Bagpipes' under the clocks). Store full and same moribund staff now animated and helpful. Got away with a nice greenish Akubra Long Island - despite my intention to use Smart Alec.

Verdict: Smart Alec is excellent but seems to suffer from being too popular to maintain a good range. One guy bought 4 hats in one go while I was there. Doesn't seem to carry any Akubra?!? City Hatters seems pretty hit and miss. I'll still go there and just hope when I roll the dice that the service is good.

BTW - 2010 is the 100 year anniversary for City Hatters. I wonder if they will mark the event in some way?

theinterchange

One Too Many
Godfrey said:
There were two shop assistants discussing how to "find the key to get you onto level 6 after you kill the dragon". Very distressing.

I literally laughed out loud at this. lol

When I make it to Australia, I will probably check them out to see if the two dragon slayers are still working there, or if they moved on to a video game store.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot