Clarks Desert Boots Lately

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by tmal, Jun 7, 2020.

1. tmal

tmal One of the Regulars

I think I need to replace my desert boots which are LL Bean, and have worked well. But it does not look like Bean carries them anymore. So, back to Clarks, which I have not owned since the 70's. Has anybody had a pair lately? Do they still run large? What is your overall impression? I take my desert boots seriously. I would estimate that nearly one half of my late teen/adult life I have worn them. The best pair I ever had I bought in 1969. They were made in Czechoslovakia. The crepe sole seemed thin, but wore like iron, and were very grippy. The fit was perfect too. If you know where I might still be able to find these, let me know, they were the best.

2. Corky

Corky Practically Family

Try Amazon, but be careful to get the ones which are real split leather cowhide. Look at the inside of the shoe to see which ones are real leather and which ones are substitutes.

tropicalbob likes this.
  3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Got mine from an eBay search a couple years ago. Unworn, made in Viet Nam. I too wore them in the 70s and these are every bit as comfortable and well made.
    Try a Google search for plenty of information. They are still made and it was nice to return to them after a long absence.
    B

tropicalbob likes this.
  4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

There's an online mens clothier that I use from time to time. They have the classic desert boot in the original sandy colour, or you might like the navy pair that would go well with blue jeans. They do a rather unusual grey pair too. I haven't worn desert boots since the seventies, and those too were Clarks. I have bought an excellent pair of leather Chelsea boots from this company. They do international shipping but you will have to check the price with them. The Boots cost fifty-five pounds.
    https://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/mens-shoes/new-shoes

5. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Staff Member Bartender

So, what's the difference between a desert boot and a chukka?

6. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The desert boot is a fashion item worn on the foot.
    A chukka is the colloquial Indian name given for a period of play in polo. The duration of a match is 42 minutes, divided into six periods of seven minutes each with specified intervals between each period.
    I do hope that has cleared up any ambiguity.

Feraud likes this.
  7. AbbaDatDeHat

^^^LOL

8. AbbaDatDeHat

I think they are about the same PC.

I meant to mention before, nothing beats a pair of old Clarks Wallabee for comfort. Imo
    B

9. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Staff Member Bartender

Thanks Bowen; that's what I was thinking. When the OP called them desert boots, the first thing I thought of was the tan combat boots worn in the Middle East. Then I realized he was probably talking about what I have always called chukkas.

Feraud and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  10. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

I liked my pair of Clark's desert boots, but stopped wearing them due to constantly picking up static and getting zapped whenever I sat on the couch.

tropicalbob and Trenchfriend like this.
  11. DavidTen

DavidTen New in Town

Red Wing makes a nice pair in both Weekend and Work series. May give them a go after wearing out my old Clark’s. The are pricier though.

Feraud likes this.
  12. Talbot

Talbot One Too Many

Nunn Bush used to make em as well.

13. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I have the Red Wing Weekender Chukka and LOVE them! Comfortable right out of the box and only feels better with use. I can wear them all day and do a lot of walking and never think about my feet. The run slightly large, I went down 1/2 size.
    They're a pricer than Clark's. I've been thinking about getting a second pair. Definitely worth the money.

DavidTen likes this.
  14. DavidTen

DavidTen New in Town

Check out the Weekender Chelsea too!

Feraud likes this.
  15. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I haven't worn Clarks desert boots since the 70's but I remember the soft soles wearing out very quickly if you did any walking. I used to wear out a pair in about 6 months. 'Desert boots' must be the English/Australian term for these. I've never heard of Chukkas.

16. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

I like a pair of desert boots and have found the latest Clark’s run a bit large and don’t work for me (loose in the heel). They did a collaboration with ‘Pretty Green’, now those are some nice boots of which I’ve had a few pairs...

17. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

Feraud and tropicalbob like this.
  18. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

That's what everyone here called them in the 1960s when they were very popular, especially among the hippie contingent: check out photos of the San Francisco bands like The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, etc. Also big were Engineer boots. I wore both.

19. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thursday Boots have them as well, for $149.00. If they're anything like their other boots (I have three pair), they;re comfortable and durable. They offer both regular hard, studded rubber soles and crepe ones.

Feraud and bn1966 like this.
  20. Interbak

Interbak One of the Regulars

I wore Clark’s for years, the last pair I bought had the crepe soles, they were junk. The soles were only glued on. There was a stitch line around the sole but it was just for show, didn’t actually have any structural purpose. I returned them when the sole separated, the shoe store said it was pretty common.
    B

Trenchfriend likes this.