Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Class rings, onetime popular mementos, losing popularity

Bustercat

A-List Customer
http://www.dailycomet.com/article/2...gs-onetime-popular-mementos-losing-popularity

By Kevin Simpson
The Denver Post

Published: Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 4:06 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 4:06 p.m.

DENVER — At East High School’s lunch hour, a few students find their way to a folding table lined with small white boxes of tradition.

Veronica Roybal, an 18-year-old senior, opens hers to find the class ring she ordered — nearly identical to one her mother wore.

“I found hers a couple of years ago and wanted to wear it,” Roybal says, “but her hands were too small and it didn’t fit me. Still, I love my high school and want to represent it well.”

Although Roybal reflects the kind of passionate tie that drives some students (or their parents) to shell out an average of $350 for a class ring, many others regard it as a rapidly receding tradition.

“It’s something your parents did,” observes Morgan Smith, 17, a junior. “It doesn’t have the significance it used to.”

For many students, high school no longer represents the social focus of years past. Increasingly mobile populations churn student bodies and dilute even long-standing traditions. Remembrances of school days move in and out of vogue.

And there’s the economy, of course.

“I’d love to tell you sales are up,” says Rosslyn Kennon, office manager for the Denver franchise of ringmaker Jostens. “But it’s definitely a luxury item, one of those things that people are maybe going to pass on. Still, there’s a lot of interest.”

Some schools simply have a stronger history of ring purchases. Some have kept the ring option as a senior-year rite of passage, while others have expanded the option to juniors and sophomores and even freshmen to widen the window in which they’ll actually wear the rings.

New schools often prove fertile markets amid the excitement of establishing new traditions. And some parents still pull out all the stops in anticipation of the graduation milestone.

In fact, Kennon says, the local office sold its most expensive ring ever this year — a $1,350 piece featuring diamonds and 14-karat gold.

But recognizing tough times, companies have rolled out layaway options, easier payment plans and a mind-boggling array of designs that personalize rings by recognizing everything from athletics to activities to ethnic heritage. Jostens even introduced a line of political-party engravings after it decided to offer one recognizing Barack Obama as the 44th U.S. president.

“It’s definitely not your mom and dad’s class ring,” says Kennon. “The options are limitless.”

Anna Nitschke remembers buying her class ring in 1968, when it seemed everyone had one. They were all identical — the same aquamarine stone, with “Bulldogs” emblazoned on the side.

Now, as secretary and attendance clerk at Moffat County High School in Craig, she helps organize the ordering process and senses slowly declining interest. Part of that reflects current economic woes, but she also sees kids nowadays pursuing such diverse interests that the trappings of high school have lost their cachet.

“I just think a lot of things were more important then than they are now,” Nitschke says. “To me, it was kind of a tradition; everybody had class rings. It was something to be proud of. I got it as a sophomore and wore it probably until the year after I graduated. Then it went in the jewelry box, where it sits today. But I still have it.”

Tim Callahan, who has operated a Balfour ring franchise in the Denver area for more than 30 years, says he sees sales rebounding after a five-year lull — but he has no idea why.

“I keep hearing about the bad economy, but sales are up and kids are buying more of the high-end product,” he says. “Is it the best year I’ve had in the business? No, but I feel blessed.”

He says market penetration tends to be higher in rural communities because of their smaller, tightknit nature. But even some of those schools have noticed fewer kids on board with the tradition.

Tawni Gribben, who helps handle ring purchases at rural Burlington High School near the Kansas border, believes interest has waned — just as it has for another mainstay of high school life, the letter jacket — over the past few years.

Cost seems to be one driving factor, she says, noting that her son seemed ambivalent about the idea earlier this year with the economy being so rough. Companies offer rings from around $50 — even Walmart has joined in — but precious metals, high-end stones and various add-ons can push the price significantly higher.

“He could have gone either way,” says Gribben, who still cherishes her ring from the Class of ‘84. “But I wanted him to have one, and then he got excited about it. I think he decided he might regret it later if he didn’t get one.”

At Fort Collins High School, the class ring and, for that matter, the letter jacket appear to be relics of a bygone era, says athletic director Rob Larson, who oversees the ordering process.

Although some kids, but fewer than in years past, may buy them as keepsakes, class rings are rarely seen at school.

“The ring is not that ‘in,’ per se,” Larson says. “They’d rather wear a T-shirt or hoodie with the school logo and mascot on it.”

One notable exception: When Fort Collins won the boys 5A state soccer title, the players jumped at the chance to commemorate their title with a specially designed ring — even though the cost was comparable to the average class ring.

Larson speculates that several factors influence class rings’ eroding popularity — perhaps most significantly, a more mobile society.

“Fifteen years ago, you’d grow up in a community and go kindergarten through your senior year in that town,” he says. “Classmates meant so much. Now, with the global economy, so many families moving in and out, the buy-in isn’t as big. That’s a big piece, the fluidity of our population.”

He really sees the shifting shape of school memorabilia at homecoming, where alumni from decades earlier mingle with current students.

“We’ll get some alumni from the ‘40s and ‘50s, and they’ll wear their letter jackets because it means something to them,” he says. “It’s funny to see that, and then look in the stands, and none of our kids have them on or have that class ring. It’s funny to see that generation gap.”

But there’s no such gap between Ollie Bass and her daughter. Bass purchased her ring from the Tennessee high school where she graduated in 1974, and in the foyer at East High School she stands admiring the just-acquired class ring of her 16-year-old daughter, Sharice, a junior.

Although tradition holds that mostly seniors purchase rings at East, Bass bought her daughter’s as just another incentive for her to work hard over her last year and a half in high school.

“Getting this ring encourages me to do well in class,” says Sharice, who can’t think of any classmates who bought one. “I got it now to give me an edge on what I need to do to graduate.”

Tee MacDonald, director of student activities at East, says the school has been trying to revive the tradition, but these days class rings aren’t the easy sell they were in 1979, when she proudly purchased her own. “I think it’s trying to make a comeback,” she says, “but it’s trying to make a comeback in a hard time.”

Brooksie

One Too Many
I never got a class ring because I was never that "into" highschool however I do have my grandma's class ring from when she graduated highschool in 1923 the ring is so tiny it fits on my pinky, I also have her wedding band from 1928 and it fits my wedding ring finger perfectly. I will have to say that I do cherish both of these rings and I am glad that I have them.

Brooksie

Geesie

Practically Family
I got a class ring because I went to a fairly prestigious high school that I enjoyed. However, I can certainly understand not wanting to drop a couple hundred bucks on something you'll wear for a year and then drop into the memento box.

I also think that the wide array of choices these days dilutes the meaning of the ring and negates its purpose.

Geesie

Practically Family
I took it off when I graduated high school and never got a college ring because I went to a state school that has like 30,000 students.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
These are all good reasons not to get a class ring, but I'm sure the reason kids don't get them anymore is that they're passe. I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing one.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
My high school class ring is still in the original packing. It is a 10K gold dome ring. In 1972 it cost exactly $36.57 from Josten's. Gold was off hard today, but I am still ahead on this one. In with that class ring is my gold wedding band, worn once by mistake. That one really cost me.;)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I didn't get a class ring. Instead I bought a very nice full hunter mechanical pocketwatch (which still cost less than the ring) and got my graduation year engraved on the case.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
As a mom I'll say that it may seeem to be losing favor because of the cost. Its crazy! My daughter wanted to get hers as a sophmore. I told her to wait until sr year and she had to pay a portion of it, plus she never knows what will happen from then and there, as in what to put on it.

I bought my sister a class ring for her birthday prob 10 years after graduation (she's 5 years older), years later its still one of the rings she continues to wear. Small, classy and with her birthstone. I dont have one, but have considered getting one.

Also, I wont get my daughters through Jolstons, the class ring people. Prob get it through wallyworld, like I did for my sis.

vintage_jayhawk

One of the Regulars
I got a class ring, I believe when I was a sophomore. It spent most of my senior year with the boyfriend, and I wore his on a chain around my neck. I wonder if kids still do things like that these days??

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I got my high school class ring about halfway through my junior year of high school, and being a ring-wearer since the start of high school, I wore my high school ring all the way through to graduation. Even after graduation, I wore it, but turned around facing away from me (as the tradition stated you were supposed to do once you graduated).

About my junior year in college, I had to stop wearing my high school ring because it was getting way too lose (metabolism and diet changes I guess). I planned to get it re-sized, but my parents commented that as an individual who actually continued to wear their class ring, I should get a college one instead, and was offered this as a Christmas present.

I graduated from college almost a year ago, and still wear my college ring. To me, it symbolizes more than just the classes, as I matured a lot over the course of four and a half years, and learned a lot through the jobs I had for my professional career.

However, I will say that class rings are not for everyone. In fact, they may only be important to a small minority these days. Still, I would say if an individual has the funds to afford one, and would wear it and appreciate what it symbolizes to them personally, than it's worth it.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I considered buying a class ring, but what "school pride" can someone who was home schooled have for a building in Chicago that graded my papers and mailed me a diploma? Yes, it was/is a real school, but there was no formal connection, and I sure as the world didn't fly there for graduation exercises.

Plus, add to that the fact that like others have said, the ring would never be worn, sitting in a box.

Having said this, had I went to a physical school full of fond memories, a ring would have been very fitting.

Randy

Edward

Bartender
This is an American tradition that has never fully transitioned over here. I don't think we have the same concept of School Identity, school sports and all that, so I supppose that's part of it. Some UK universities now facilitate graduation rings; I did look into having one of those made up for my degrees from Queen's in Belfast, but ven for a fairly simple design it was going to be pushing the sort of money that would go a long way towards a nice suit or leather jacket.... I'm still going to investigate the possiblity of a gold signet ring with the University crest on it, though, when I'm over there in a couple of weeks' time. University was a big time for me; without that I literally would not be where I am today.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I still have my class ring although I think I only wore it for a couple of months. I gave it to my wife to wear while we were dating and today it is in a shadowbox with other mementos hanging on the wall. It has a lot of sentimental value and I'm glad I got one back in '82!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo