Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Arcade and Video Games

dakotanorth

Practically Family
The one game I can't forget...

Of all things, it was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
I even downloaded the MAME emulator and played it about a year ago- I STILL, to this day, cannot make it to the bridge!! :rage: lol :rage: lol

Jp

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Here's a question. If any of you had the chance to replay these games, would you? I still have a working black and white gameboy and color one. Games still work last time I checked.

happyfilmluvguy said:
Here's a question. If any of you had the chance to replay these games, would you? I still have a working black and white gameboy and color one. Games still work last time I checked.

I actually used to carry my Game Boy around along with my old laptop, back before I got the Godless Gamer Briefcase Monster of Doom... (old laptop topped out at C&C: Tiberian Sun and Quake II for gaming)

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Some games stand the test of time - normally ones that were built on solid game play. Some just seem better in retrospect.

I did play a lot of Joust. I do remember also going down to the arcade at the Seattle Center to play Space Wars quite a bit.

And still, one of my all-time favorite games was on the Atari 400/800 and the C-64 - M.U.L.E. Wow, racked up a lot of time with that game.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I play Galaga (just like Galaxian) almost every day on my lunch break. There's a small arcade in the mall where I work and they have it!

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
So did I, on GameBoy (original gray brick model).

Anyone else remember Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis back in the 486/early Mac era?

Oh, definitely. I had that not too long ago. Still my favorite Indy game from a puzzle solving point of view.

Still, I was never that much into the video game thing. On the other hand, I do have a garage full of 5 vintage pinballs, ranging from a 70's Captain Fantastic to a 1947 Barnacle Bill. I like games where I can see what's gone wrong.:)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I may have mentioned this in another thread, but we bought an Atari Pong when it first came out. My younger brother still has it and it works.

ataripong.jpg

A couple years ago, he took it to an '80s-themed party as a prop to sit in the background. It turned into the life of the party, because everybody was taking turns playing game after game. :)

Lee

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
My sister completed Super Mario Bros for Super NES so many times. I was never able to. I seem to remember her playing it again years later but those skills faded away with the game.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
Originally Posted by Diamondback

Anyone else remember Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis back in the 486/early Mac era?

Yup. It was using a superb technique for character movement called rotoscopy. But for my taste, the adventure company of that era was Sierra-On-Line. Their Space Quest, Police Quest and King Quest series were some of the best made.

Fortunately, I have three PC's in my studio and the oldest is a Pentium 200 that I use for vintage DOS PC gaming so I can replay all my favorite classics in blocky, 256-colors glory.

nyx

One of the Regulars
happyfilmluvguy said:

Some of the chain arcades have the old games on a machine or two in them. I've actually played Joust fairly recently, but alas, all of my ability at it has apparently gone with age. I'm blaming my poor score on my rheumatism lol

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:

That was definitely one of my old favorites. Along with Day of the Tentacle, another Lucas Arts release. Really, the only slightly more modern release of Lucas Arts that I've played and pay attention to is Grim Fandango. That one is just so unique and also has a noir-ish vibe to it.

Twitch

Curious how many people have all time favorites that have never quite been eclipsed or even equalled.

I used to review PC based combat simulation games and have the same feelings. And unfortuantely unless you have the space for old hardware the old stuff just doesn't run right on a new OS.:(

My favorite was 1989 Lucasarts Secret Weeapons of the Luftwaffe. While graphics were certainly nothing you'd want to look at today, playability and immersion is what made the sim rememberable

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I have an emulator for Super NES on my computer that works like a charm. For anyone who is unfamilar with that term, it is basically acts as the system that the games are played on. For instance, mine acts as a Super Nintendo and you can download the games and play them on this emulator on your computer. I have more Super Nintendo games on here than I ever did in cartridges.

Best one I've found.

The games on the other hand are a little harder to come by. Just search for "SNES Rom" or whichever system you want games for. Though I'd rather have the handheld controller than a keyboard.
And as a warning,
BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU GO AND WHAT YOU DOWNLOAD.

There are some safe rom sites.

Here's one: http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/snes.html

Undertow

Don't forget IDSPISPOPD (no clipping)!

I started on an Atari 5200 playing Joust, Pacman and Kangaroo. Moved right up the ladder from NES-PS2.

I've also been an avid computer game fan. C&C Red Alert, Retalitor (flight sim) Civilization, and then of course the id games like wolf3d, doom, Captain Keen, etc. I'm a huge Diablo II fan, although I don't play online. I used to really like Ultima Online, as well.

I recently purchased an FC Twin off the 'bay. It plays BOTH NES and Super NES games on the same console. I'll let you guys know how it works when I get it set up at my new place.

And yes, I WILL be playing the old stuff!

panamag8or

Practically Family
flat-top said:
I play Galaga (just like Galaxian) almost every day on my lunch break. There's a small arcade in the mall where I work and they have it!

I can still rock Galaga. The other day, I was watching a football game at a local bar. At halftime, I started a game, and when the 2nd half kicked off, I had not lost any ships and had aced all but one of the challenge stages, and that's because I had forgotten what it was.(I still got 39)

I hated to let all those ships die, but I had to put my initials on the high score, 'ya know.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff