Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Casual Footwear Suggestions

Rambo66

New in Town
My style is very basic and classic and I’m looking for some suggestions for casual footwear. Currently I wear Chippewa Engineer boots, 6-inch Red Wing shoes, Converse Chuck Taylors etc….. I’m looking for something to wear with jeans, chinos, work pants etc….. military style oxfords etc… Any suggestions? Below are some of the style shoes I currently wear.

Slip-Ons.jpg
[/IMG]

Chucks.jpg

RedWing.jpg

conv_jp_blk.jpg

chipeng11.jpg

Edward

Bartender
A pair of basic cap-toe oxfords, maybe with a rubber sole, would be a very flexible casual shoe, and you can pick up reasonably good ones quite cheaply. Actually, when I'm doing the casual greaser look but don't fancy the engineer boots, I currently have a pair of plain black DM shoes I slip on, had them for years, and pair only GBP10 for them on eBay. When money allows, I'll probably add a few more fifties style shoes to my wardrobe for casual wear - things like this:

SL272518(1).jpg

SL272006.jpg

Or maybe, for a more toned down look:

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

These are all from Rocket Originals in the UK (www.rocketoriginals.co.uk). You can buy thm on eBay too, generally around GBP80 (USD160) per pair. I'm certain you'll find very similar shoes for half that in the US, though, as is normally the case with everything!

I'm assuming here of course that you're into a fairly 50s style from your descriptions of what you wear currently.... otherwise, if you're looking for a more 40s look, a basic black or brown Oxford shoe, perhaps with a rubber sole for comfort, would be your birdy.

Edward

Bartender
Rambo66 said:
Thanks so much for the suggestion, I think that's a great idea!! Any inexpensive oxfords you can suggest?

Thanks!

It seems many here don't like them, but I've always had good experiences with Clarks. Most every brand of men's leather shoes makes a basic Oxford style that hasn't really changed at all from the 40s (avoid the high-fashion models which - if the US is the same as the UK - are very trency at present. Fine if you want that pointy toe 60s look, though they can end up looking like flippers very quickly if you have human sized feet). You will probably find that you'll have to go into the 'dresswear' section of most shops, being as for the average Joe nowadays anything bar a pair of sneakers qualifies are dresswear. Also, try looking on eBay - I've had some incredible shoe bargains by patiently spending an hour or so sifting through all the listings for shoes in my size.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
High School, Maryland, 1940

If this picture is anything to go by, "casual footwear" was not much of a factor in the young adult wardrobe.
28266u_0.preview.jpg

One girl wears saddle shoes, another a boat-loafer-sortathing. But it's well-broken-in dress oxfords exclusively for the boys. No bucks, no Chucks, no loafers, no nuthin.
[Link is to biiig! file]

Rambo66

New in Town
I think I'd like to start with a basic black pair of oxfords, possibly a cap toe. I'm not really down with any sort of square toed shoe, a little too contemporary for me. I do like a nice thick sole.

Edward

Bartender
You shouldn't have any problem finding something like that. Actually, the problem is more likely to be too much choice! ;)

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Blunnies

I agree with Shortbow; Blunnies are my shoe of choice. I wear them most days to work and whenever we travel abroad they are the only pair of shoes (boots) I bring with me. They are casual, yet with a quick shine they are good enough for dressing up.

Cheers,

Scott

Rambo66

New in Town
I've been thinking about Blundtones, Colin Cripps who playes guitar with Kathleen Edwards and has sort of a slight greaser vibe (snap shirts and deep cuffs on his dark Levis) wears them and I thought they looked cool. He also wears creepers and while I think they look cool on others, I don't think they're for me.

I'll have to check out those Blundstones, thanks for reminding of them.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Blundstone's

You might want to check EBay for Blundstones. They are usually alot cheaper than the usual sources. Also, try to find older ones that were made in Australia. Unless I am mistaken they have recently moved their factory to China.

Cheers,

---Scott

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
I can't find a good photo of them online (even at the sasshoes.com website), but I usually wear SAS shoes. they're very well made, very supportive and very comfortable. I bought them when I was recovering and getting back to being able to walk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore