Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Style for the Colorblind?

Jefferson Smith

New in Town
Seven to ten percent of men are colorblind; surely some of them (besides myself) are interested in dressing well. What tactics do you use to avoid clashing?

I've just started dressing well (my prior uniform was either jeans or cargo shorts, usually with a black t-shirt), and I'd like your suggestions on how to cope? (Unfortunately, I don't have a SO at the moment to consult, so that's out for the moment.)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You do need to have somebody to consult to help you through the tricky parts, but you can also simply learn things that work. You can match almost anything with a grey or navy suit, for example.

What sort of things are you wearing now that you've stepped it up a notch?

Jefferson Smith

New in Town
AlanC said:
You do need to have somebody to consult to help you through the tricky parts, but you can also simply learn things that work. You can match almost anything with a grey or navy suit, for example.

What sort of things are you wearing now that you've stepped it up a notch?

Well, I'm slowly building my wardrobe because I'm in the process of dropping weight (50 lbs down and at least another 50 to go). Right now I have a blue worsted suit (and an odd set of trousers for the suit jacket) and a grey check suit. Once I get to my ideal weight, I plan on investing in vintage suits; for now, I'm limiting my vintage items to accessories (cufflinks, tie clasps, pocket squares, ties.) I currently have three shirts that (according to salesperson (who seemed like a straight-shootin', old school guy)) match both suits and ties ties that match as well.

I guess I'm trying to figure out a tactic to use once I start buying more items.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorite swing bandleaders, Joe Haymes, was noted for being a snappy dresser despite being severely colorblind. Every piece of his wardrobe had small tags sewn in to indicate the colors in it.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
There was a chap in high school whose mom designed a system for him. His clothes all had a symbol on the label and based on a sheet, he knew which symbols went well together. The sheet said things like "square goes well with triangle, rectangle, but never circle." It was a bit convoluted, but it seemed to work for him.

I would suggest that when buying the item, ask what color it is, and ask what would go well with it. Generally when you explain that you are color blind, people are really nice. Then label the item when you get home with the advice that the people at the store gave you.

When shopping for the hubby, I often have to ask for help, and people are always very nice. I even ask near by shoppers for help if I don't see a clerk :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick