Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Classic" Vintage Clothing Stores on the Endangered Species List

YETI

A-List Customer
When I started buying and selling vintage clothes 15 yrs. ago, there was a bevy of stores who had a buy, sell, trade policy here in the Bay Area. Business was good, especially at the height of the swing craze in the mid - late 90s. When that deflated, it all of a sudden came to a near sudden halt. And one by one all my favorite shops(RIP - Lundberg Haberdashery, Vintage Silhouettes, Gabardines, Guys and Dolls/Vendima Vintage, Sparky's Vintage, 3rd Hand Store, etc.) closed their doors for good. These were high end quality vintage clothing stores mind you and not glorified thrift stores. The Haight used to an oasis for 30s - 50s attire. A fine example was the Wasteland that displayed only their finest gabardines and alohas on the wall. Now, all you see are lame nasty looking overpriced rock t-shirts on the wall. I understand you have to adjust to changing trends to stay in business. But no matter what, classic vintage was a constant despite the newest fads. Resale stores no longer have well informed enlightened buyers. Everyone's a hipster or scenester it seems. What the heck happened? At least there's still La Rosa vintage to give me hope.

YETI

A-List Customer
I suppose. But you can always hope. I mean Johnnyphi just reinforced that. Imagine if he held on to the clothes he had found with the hats and let his fellow loungers bare witness to that treasure as well. How often do you find deadstock 40s suits? I only found one in my lifetime. Although I do recall he had over 1000 pieces and that would have been work.

Foofoogal

Banned
I have been a dealer since 1996 and online since 2002 on 7 different venues. Now currently 2. It is not only the vintage clothing stores. Antiques and collectibles online and brick and mortar are having a very difficult time.
I am hoping the silver lining of recent events will once again bring people back to existing items. Vintage clothing is generally better made then newer as well as other household items.
A dealer friend of mine who has been in the business for 60 years and her mom before her for 60 years swears it is a 20 year cycle and we are about in year 18. I sure hope so.
I see myself more as a protector of vintage items really than a seller. lol
It does break my heart to see alot of the stores shutting down. I love vintage everything.

Feraud

Bartender
Foofoogal said:
I am hoping the silver lining of recent events will once again bring people back to existing items. Vintage clothing is generally better made then newer as well as other household items.
This would mean more people using up what is left of the surplus vintage goods. At inflated prices too.
I hate to sound selfish but I do not share your sentiment. :)

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Sadly, some people who find themselves handling the estates of grandma and grandpa and not knowing what to do with, or seeing the value in their "old clothes," toss them away or take them to Goodwill.

I grew up in the Bay Area too, and got some of my first experiences with vintage shops that were in the Castro. Currently, a local "vintage" shop removed all their true vintage clothing because their customer base was more interested in the repro 1950's garb. You're right about not having true, high-end vintage shops. It's pretty much a hunt & peck process to find pieces in various other establishments now.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Many factors. One, culture is less dressy. Two, cultural standards have changed so that very cheaply made low quality clothing is acceptable and people will spend hundreds on it. Three, the trend is not towards vintage eras, that could change. Four, people are bigger, so clothes do not fit. Five, internet ha put shops out of business, and also put shop owners on line with their good stuff. Six, supply has dried up, estates are more likely full of seventies and eighties stuff. Nine, while vintage interest cycles, since we have already seen seventies trends, an eighties or nineties trend would be pointless as clothing was neither well made or distinct enough to inspire much of a trend. Ten, much of the vintage clothing of interest is old t shirts etc, which are easy to reproduce, thus buyers buy repro, not vintage. Eleven, designers copy, so again, people buy new. Twelve, vintage is big business and most of the good stuff gets bought up by pickers roaming the country, usually shipping to japan and also on line. Thirteen, standards are low, so the public will accept say, a cheap wool hat or cheaply made zoot suit, rather than buy true vintage.

Kind of a bummer, but it translates into more supply for the true believers.

Did I miss anything?

celtic

A-List Customer
something tells me that ebay might have something to do with that as well.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Depletion of vintage stores

I agree with what was said, too- everyone bought up a huge amount of the stuff during the peak of the swing revival. I've noticed this both as a buyer online and a buyer in the "live" stores. 10 years ago I was passing up on shirts that I thought were too expensive, which today, would be a bargain! Keep in mind though, I did not buy them, but someone else did. It's like playing cards, no one wants to give up there Ace unless they absolutely have to; you see this on Ebay. People selling high-end stuff usually say "I need the money" or "I can't fit into it anymore" or "I am moving overseas" etc etc so there is a pressing need to get rid of it.
Over the years I watched the GRADUAL decline of stores, too. First they had everything, then they had a lot, then some, then a few, then as-is stuff only. Every once in a while something good turns up but it's typically 10 people looking for the same (one) thing so it gets snatched up and viola! The rack is once again empty of anything worthwhile.
I'd like to say the reproduction market has responded to the barren market of vintage, but I have yet to see a good reproduction of most anything. Too many corners get cut which, by definition, is the difference between vintage and the modern counterpart.

Foofoogal

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofoogal

This would mean more people using up what is left of the surplus vintage goods. At inflated prices too.
I hate to sound selfish but I do not share your sentiment.

I am sort of missing your point. It is either they throw the stuff in the trash as many will or taking care of the older stuff. I don't know about inflated prices though. Don't really think so. I am having to come down on stuff.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I believe he means if folks all suddenly switched back to wanting vintage....it would -then- become a sellers market....

While that is great for you as a dealer....some of us prefer our -bargains-....instead of having to walk into a 'Vintage Clothing Store' and pay 'trendy' pricing for the same things we currently get at 'thrift store' pricing.

I suspect this all depends on which side of the equation you are on.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
reetpleat said:
Did I miss anything?
There are certain large U.S. charities that send their clothing collections directly to the Third World, without offering them here.

Foofoogal

Banned
I believe he means if folks all suddenly switched back to wanting vintage....it would -then- become a sellers market....

I think you both may be misunderstanding me. If there is a global market depression and like Tomasso states lots of the stuff gets sent to 3rd. world markets then there will be less supply.
Supply and demand is business. Now I would of course like to sell my stuff at top dollar I do understand with the economy this is getting less and less possible.
My point was that now instead of people buying new junk they would start buying existing items. To me vintage collecting which I am most definitely a collector first is the ultimate in conservation.
I am on FL alot. I am much more about life than selling my stuff. Believe me or ask my honey.
It is a good thing I am not a zillionaire or I would have storehouses of stuff just to preserve it all. The fact that since this is a throwaway society makes me want to save it all and the history of it all. Doesn't it scare you that some of this stuff will be lost forever. I find deals and have to pass them up all the time. I know right now where a tray that is worth $425.00 is for sale for $25.00. The old lady I know does do this and it sort of scares me more I will end up like her. Talking to her children it is not so funny. :eek:fftopic:
So what is the answer?
In best scenario I sell. In next best scenario I don't sell and put it up to maybe just maybe in about 30 years there will be an even bigger appreciation for my stuff and/or the economy skyrockets and I get top dollar. (Lord willing and the creek doesn't rise)
Any item is worth what a person is willing to pay. Period. It has really no bearing to me as I have watched it all online since 2002. I don't listen to books, ebay, dealers, market or anything. I am not that kind of dealer.
I am a collector first and always will be if I close tomorrow or not. I do this for enjoyment just like I come here for enjoyment.
I like to clean up stuff, look at my stuff, others stuff, smell it, feel it and sometimes talk myself into sharing it with others for their enjoyment. . Tangible beautiful vintage stuff with history. Things made with love by artists and craftsmen. I get passionate about it all and I think even more as time goes on. I think the OP was hinting of this really. :eek: Sorry. Sandy

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
There are certain large U.S. charities that send their clothing collections directly to the Third World, without offering them here.

And there are certain charities that pick out the good stuff, as well as the rag mills, and ship to top dollar places like Japan. So much of this stuff is no longer available for your average vintage shop owner or picker to get into your local shop. that would be what, thirteen?

YETI

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
And there are certain charities that pick out the good stuff, as well as the rag mills, and ship to top dollar places like Japan. So much of this stuff is no longer available for your average vintage shop owner or picker to get into your local shop. that would be what, thirteen?
I've seen first hand how they operate. I was able to be chummy enough with the nice lady in charge of the boutique section at a local thrift store, where she took me to the sorting room for denim alone. It was a sea of jeans. But they just had a few redlines and 1 pr big E Levi's.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I have been told of japanese dealers with pockets full of cash roaming the southwest and rural parts of Washington and Oregon looking for vintage western, going from thrift store to thrift store and garage sales all day.

YETI

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
I have been told of japanese dealers with pockets full of cash roaming the southwest and rural parts of Washington and Oregon looking for vintage western, going from thrift store to thrift store and garage sales all day.
I just read your profile and noticed you've been in the biz. Do you know Ken Tada? After almost 20 yrs., I still see him here in Vallejo at all the thrift stores with a basket full of gear. I pay no mind to the Japanese market anymore. It's schizophrenic. Imagine how affordable and available quality vintage would be today if Japanese youth stuck with kimonos. I know I'll take heat for that. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff