Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning Antique Furniture

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on what methods are safe to clean antique furniture. I just bought a Waterfall bedroom set, and there's quite a lot of built-up dust in the seams and crevices. Can I use Pledge? Is there anything I shouldn't use? I really don't want to do any damage to it in my ignorance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Look for Scott's Liquid Gold, red, yellow and silver can IIRC.

Pledge and many other furniture polishes contain wax and other junk which really does nothing good for wood ('cept make it shiny).
Nice find on the bedroom set!

D

DeaconKC

You might try Murphy's Oil Soap. Don't soak the furniture, use a toothbrush and wipe it right out. Very mild stuff mixed right.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
If it's just dust, brush it out with a dry toothbrush and remove it with the nozzle of a vaccuum. I would be hesitant to use liquid cleaners if you don't have to, because these pieces are covered in veneer and even the slightest amount of moisture can be damaging sometimes.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Antique Furniture Cleaners NO

IMO a clean cotton dust cloth & NOT using supermarket liquid cleaners is the way to go!

Many years ago some people used Butchers Wax????

Solid Citizen :D

Dont' DO what yo can't UNDO ;)

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Thank you all!
I think my MO's going to be to go as dry as possible.
Sweet Leilani said:
If it's just dust, brush it out with a dry toothbrush and remove it with the nozzle of a vaccuum. I would be hesitant to use liquid cleaners if you don't have to, because these pieces are covered in veneer and even the slightest amount of moisture can be damaging sometimes.
The veneer is one of my biggest fears as far as anything liquid goes. I would just die if I damaged it.
Tomasso said:
I use this stuff for all things dusty.
We use this at work all the time for electronics and such. Can't believe I didn't think of it.
Really, I truly appreciate all the feedback. You guys are the best!:eusa_clap

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
That said, I cleaned my deco bedroom set with a barely-damp cloth and a lot of elbow grease, as the vanity had a lot of greasy makeup on the top. The veneer had already been damaged from the makeup, so I didn't have a lot to lose!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart