Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning satin lining

Gilgamark said:
Okay, my turn for a few stupid questions, but I'm new to DIY and I have my first vintage eBay purchase on the way. I'm looking forward to taking a shot at this.

1. What is naptha? Where do I buy it?

2. Can someone point me in the direction of some good DIY threads? I've used the search function and can't find any, which, I'm sure, is due to user error. I'm looking for some good instructions on how to bash a hat, how to do a pinch properly, how to clean, etc.

Thanks
GMark, can't help with the naptha but hopefully RBH will chime in. I'd like to know do you put it in a bucket, definitely well ventilated, use rubber gloves, dunk & then rinse?

Bashing is something I've done by trial & error. Remember only real drastic creases will be hard to re-do. I use a teapot with a rubber stopper & a brass tube that channels the steam or I use a spray bottle with distilled water. In the teapot I use water from a Brita water filter. I do the back side first & work toward the front. Jimmy the Lid is the berries when it comes to bashing from my eye.

Cleaning for me is mainly an orange sponge & a good hat brush, always in counter clockwise motion. Serious stuff, I use lighter fluid, kind for a Zippo lighter. I have a jar of this pumice like stuff called Silver Label Miracle Spot Remover (powder). You rub it in, use the sponge, then brush it off.

That's about all I got. Best of luck...

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Gilgamark said:
What is naptha? Where do I buy it?

Naptha is one of the solvents used in dry cleaning.

You can buy it at Home Depot, Lowes or any good paint store next to the turpentine and mineral spirits.

Its advantage is you can clean a felt hat in it without staining light-colored felts. That's not true for many spot removers and home dry-cleaning treatments when used on light gray and silver felts.

It's disadvantage is expense. Hats soak up a lot of it which you'll waste by evaporation. Scout Hat Cleaner combined with an orange hat sponge isn't a cheap solution either, but they do a good job and are easy.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Bob Smalser said:
Scout Hat Cleaner combined with an orange hat sponge isn't a cheap solution either, but they do a good job and are easy.

Is there a liquid Scout? I ordered some Scout Hat Cleaner from Sheppler's. It's a large-grained powder that works fairly well with a hat sponge.

From what I'm learning so far, it seems that felt hats are a lot more rugged than they seem at first. Sounds like you can be fairly rough with them.

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
Stratoliner Liner Stains

I just received my first Stratoliner and love it except for the liner stains. The liner looks like many of my Open Roads with the Royal Stetson logo protected by a plastic layer. The remainder of the entire liner is covered with light yellow "splatterings". The liner is otherwise in great shape. It is sewn in so I hesitate to take it out. Any ideas what caused these spots and, of course, any remedies? I tried a spot application with alcohol with no luck. If I take the liner out, any ideas about sewing it back in?
Best wishes to all,
Chuck

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Chuck -- the "splatterings" you refer to may have resulted from contact with remnants of an orange/yellow cellophane that was originally packaged with your hat. If so, I highly doubt that such stains will wash out.

See if this looks familiar:

liner2.jpg

xcellophane.jpg

The last photo shows the disintegrated cellophane that at one point in time had been inside the hat, and that "bled" onto the liner. I have seen this phenomenon from time to time in various auctions, and this may explain the reason why.

Incidentally, those photos are of an otherwise NOS Stetson Playboy. I have chosen to simply live with those particular stains as remnants of vintage packaging...:)

Cheers,
JtL

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
Thanks Jimmy...I can see now that you're exactly right...now I can relax...life can be so much more pleasant if we learn to accept what can't be changed and be happy with what we got.
Best wishes,
Chuck

High Pockets

Practically Family
Ditto on the luke warm water and Woolite soak.:)
I've gently brushed a few light stains out with a soft tooth-brush.

Swish it around in a cool, clean, water bath, changing the water a couple times and dry over a up-turned cereal bowl, it won't take long to dry.

Worked on my liners,....can't promise the next one won't fall apart.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
High Pockets said:
Ditto on the luke warm water and Woolite soak.:)
I've gently brushed a few light stains out with a soft tooth-brush.

Swish it around in a cool, clean, water bath, changing the water a couple times and dry over a up-turned cereal bowl, it won't take long to dry.

Worked on my liners,....can't promise the next one won't fall apart.

I've used the 'Woolite soak' method successfully, but just had a failure: 40's Stetson with one of the gold-print circular logos - there is still sweat residue that I can actually feel. I tried scrubbing with Windex on the non-logo parts and it got the part you could feel, but you can see the stain. I'm hesitant to scrub the logo, given that it's already faded.

Any solutions? uh, I mean suggestions?

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
I've noticed that the white liner on my Stratoliner is starting to look a bit dirty. I'm sure it's the oils from the skin on my bald crown leaching into the liner where it sometimes touches. Is there a way to clean the liner and keep it clean or is that just part of regularly wearing a hat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
I post what I thought was a new topic and see it's now part of an existing thread. Pretty impressive moderating!

double sided tape works very well if you want to secure the liner. I just use three small pieces and it holds perfectly secure.
If the liner is not branded or printed and is glued in how about purchasing a new one? I have gone that route on hats with plain liners. It saves a ton of fuss and muss. FineVintageFedoras on Etsy sells them in silk for a reasonable amount.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hand wash liners from vintage hats regularly in cool water and hand soap (liquid) carefully rotating sides using fingers and palm to clean . I say carefully as on vintage hats you run the risk of washing away the tip logo imprint if it gets too wet or if you use hot water ....
Let it dry and spray starch on it before ironing and it will look like new again .
Good luck

RJR

Bond here on the Lounge IS Fine Vintage Fedoras and he does have nice replacements reasonably priced.I don't know how much work he's willing to do but DOGMAN makes some really unique custom liners as well.

viclip

Practically Family
I've considered using a sheet of cellophane food wrap to protect the liner, tucked in place behind the sweat. Sort of a liner over the liner & replaceable for pennies with minimal effort.

Sounds good in theory. Has anyone tried this?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
The cellophane will trap the heat and will not let anything inside to breath.
I wouldn't do it.

As Fruno, I'm also thinking of a pin-up for a hat.

Bond here on the Lounge IS Fine Vintage Fedoras and he does have nice replacements reasonably priced.I don't know how much work he's willing to do but DOGMAN makes some really unique custom liners as well.

Does Dogman have a website? I would love to add a custom liner or two to a few hats.

RJR

Try PMing Dogman or I wouldn't be surprised if he sees this thread.He does really cool pin up liners and,recently,brocade that look very rich.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy