Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleavage

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This thread is LADIES ONLY (no men posting). Inappropriate pictures will be promptly removed.

Ive wanted to do this thread for a while, because I do think it needs discussion. I know I can count on you ladies for enlightened and vigorous talk.

Now I know that standards of modesty have loosened over the decades, but what Im finding in todays world is not only have stilettos found their way into business and casual attire, but serious cleavage as well! I find it distracting seeing a woman in a lovely tailored business type suit at 11 in the morning showing cleavage down to her ribcage. I always assumed cleavage was left for after 5.

On the beach, sure, going to the opera, perhaps, but making a run to the grocery or hardware store, nah.

I dont want this to be a thread about how I hate modern dress, thats not the intent. What Im looking for is a culmination of thoughts on addressing cleavage in your vintage wear and how, if you go to a formal event do you show cleavage, or go backless, which Ive always felt was the cleavage of yesteryear :rolleyes:

Id LOVE for ladies who have any vintage etiquette guidelines on the topic to post them, please! Any crazy 'contraptions' of the vintage era as well.

LD

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My personal mantra is that I generally try to avoid showing cleavage unless we're going out at night. Unfortunately I have a somewhat disproportionately large chest, so I usually end up showing more than I intend to anyway. (Like last night, when the top button of my shirtdress unknowingly came undone while I was walking around the grocery store...) I can't wear wrap-style dresses or blouses because they look downright vulgar on me. None of my vintage 40s and 50s dresses are cut low enough for cleavage to be an issue, and I don't do backless stuff so again, non-issue for me there.

I would assume that cleavage has generally (and should, IMHO) be reserved for "after 5." Same with backless. But I would be quite interested in seeing some vintage documentation!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Great topic! As a women with a fairly big bust, I often find that regular tailored dresses / sweaters seems much more suggestive (even in the right size) on us larger busted ladies than the small busted ladies. And these are pieces that doesn't even show cleavage. I often stear away from dresses that shows a v-cleavage and opt for sweetheart necklines if possible, because I think these are more forgiven and doesn't cut so low. I also prefer boatneck sweaters than v-necks ones and I also reinforce shirts with safetypins so it doesnt gap in between buttons when I sit down - because a shirt can fit me perfectly and still gap when I stand/sit in certain positions.

It is also on VERY rare occasions I look good in a halterneck dress unless the back has to go up to/past shoulderblades and the halterpart has to be very wide! It also has to be fitted and not loose.

In my very personal opinion, I also think a woman with a smaller bust looks more elegant in a dress that shows cleavage, than when I get in the same dress and I feel less elegant and more provocative unfortunatly.

so my tips are :

Sweetheart necklines for dresses.
boatnecks for sweaters (I would much rather show off my collarbones).
reinforce shirts with a safetypin.
Rarely wearing haltertop dresses.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I try not to be judgmental about other women showing cleavage but I have to admit that i don't like it much and that it doesn't do the women around them any favours. It seems to give the impression that one is presenting oneself as a sexual object, whether that is the intention or not. It invites people to look at your breasts and personally I have no interest in that happening! I realise that for ladies with larger busts it can happen in relatively high-cut tops and I certainly don't think that women with big boobs should have to walk around in polonecks all year round! I have a friend who ALWAYS wears low-cut tops and always draws attention to her breast verbally too. She once said to me "You have great boobs, you should show them off more" and was baffled by my response that I didn't want random strangers looking at my chest!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
As I have quite a small bust I have never really bothered showing it off - don't get me wrong - I'm very happy with it as it's in proportion to the rest of my body (I'm a UK size 8) - it just hasn't ever really been my thing. I have always preferred to show my back instead - for example I have a lovely black chiffon dress that seems quite conservative from the front but the back plunges into a deep V just at the small of my back. It's not something I would wear every day - just on a special occasion. I'm quite a conservative dresser really.

I firmly believe that there is a time and place for showing off cleavage but the office certainly isn't the right place. Same goes for too short skirts.

Anyway I think I prefer sex appeal to be hinted at and not to be blugeoned with it.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I don't really have a cleavage, my girls are too far apart and I don't own a wonderbra! lol But I do have some balconette style bras that ...prop them up somewhat, and I also do have some vintage inspired knitwear and tops that are cut quite low. But I save them for weekends, not work. And they still seem to fit in with my fairly demure vintage look, even when paired with pencil skirts, I guess because it's just a hint of low cutness and not these hugely cutaway things you see more and more.

Inky

One Too Many
I've never been a big cleavage girl, even when I was young during those brief 15 minutes when you could have actually called them "perky."

I agree they are certainly out of place in the work environment and when I was a bank manager in the 80's, there were several occasions when I had to give a girl a chat and send her home to cover up.

I think the look on Sophia Loren's face say it all - even while dining at Romanoff's there is such a thing as just too much, Miss Jayne.

3408077740_9341601dd5.jpg

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
I've never been a big cleavage girl, even when I was young during those brief 15 minutes when you could have actually called them "perky."

I agree they are certainly out of place in the work environment and when I was a bank manager in the 80's, there were several occasions when I had to give a girl a chat and send her home to cover up.

I think the look on Sophia Loren's face say it all - even while dining at Romanoff's there is such a thing as just too much, Miss Jayne.

3408077740_9341601dd5.jpg

That is by far one of my favorite vintage pics. Its says SO much!
From personal experience, cleavage is overrated, especially if you have a larger bust. I have found that cleavage draft on a windy day is the worse feeling ever so I just avoid it all together.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I'm a big fan of the style of Joan from Mad Men and she has a large chest.
Interesting to compare the way her character deals with the curves versus the actress herself. Hope the second picture won't need removing - it is little much!

joan-ep210.jpg

Picture1-7.png

Inky

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
Interesting to compare the way her character deals with the curves versus the actress herself. Hope the second picture won't need removing - it is little much!

joan-ep210.jpg

Picture1-7.png

Great comparison! She's lovely to look at on Mad Men, but her girls need some serious coverage in that second shot - just not flattering under any circumstance!

She looks much, MUCH sexier in her 60's garb.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Inky said:
Great comparison! She's lovely to look at on Mad Men, but her girls need some serious coverage in that second shot - just not flattering under any circumstance!

She looks much, MUCH sexier in her 60's garb.

I couldn't agree more. There's something about the way her curves are all 'bottled up' in the show that is just so sexy.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Whoa! She looks like she smuggled two VW Beetles off the showroom floor!:eek:

Personally, I don't care to show too much cleavage at work. I can "alter" a garment's look with a scarf and/or a vintage dress clip to make a deep v-neck a bit more modest, plus, they are just nice accessories.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
I consider myself to have a relatively large chest, and like others have mentioned, I sometimes have trouble finding clothes (mostly modern) that fit well on a smaller-sized girl, but look provocative on me. I'll usually wear a cardigan or something to cover up with if I feel like I'm showcasing the girls to all of Walmart or something lol. But I definitely feel that cleavage needs to stay out of the workplace.

Once thing that really irked me was at my last job. I was a CNA, and as most of us know, modern scrub tops tend to have V-necks, though some are deeper than others. Some girls would come into work wearing these tops, and then have a fit when Mr. So-and-So would thrust his hand in down their shirt as they were bending over. I know sometimes it's difficult to avoid in that line of work, but some people are just asking for it. Especially in a setting like that...pretty much taunting these lonely old men :rolleyes:

And I agree with Inky - "Joan" looks much sexier in the first pictures. It's like she's trying too hard in her real-life shot.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I tend to show some curve. With my build the choice is sort of emphasizing that it's my chest, or just looking "big all over" in a bad, shapeless way. Now, sometimes I can find flattering turtlenecks or whatever, but not as often as I'd like. I don't want to look like I just have a thick mid-section.

So I have a few lowcut day sweaters and tops, and then in the evening even moreso. During the day I'm more likely to do that red shirt from Madmen than something more...drastic...but I still need some sort of contour or cling up top or it just falls like a tent.

I try not to be judgmental about other women showing cleavage but I have to admit that i don't like it much and that it doesn't do the women around them any favours. It seems to give the impression that one is presenting oneself as a sexual object, whether that is the intention or not. It invites people to look at your breasts and personally I have no interest in that happening!

To me its like lipstick or nicely done hair; I do it for myself feeling good as much as guys staring or whatnot. And I honestly don't understand what you mean by not doing any favours for the women around them?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
yeah, how about "remove it"...

Do we ladies really need to see this on FL? Its a shame she feels she needs to show it off so blatantly in her personal life. The pics of her dressing modestly as on the show are actually much more attractive...

MissHannah said:

joan-ep210.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner