Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clip-on Bow Ties

Michaelson

One Too Many
I have one somewhere, but danged if I know what box it's currently housed in. I haven't laid eyes on it in years.

Regards! Michaelsln

Feraud

Bartender
I have one clip bowtie and have never worn it. Then again I rarely wear my bow ties. Whenever I am in a thrift store I will look for and buy any interesting ones tho'.

Clip on or manual bow tie is a matter or taste. I probably could not tell a clip on tie if the guy were standing one foot away! ;)

moustache

Practically Family
Prefer tie your own...

because it shows:1--you know HOW to tie a bow tie!!
2---The traditional bowtie NEVER looks perfect and...
3---One can make their own so much easier.A little fabric and away you go!!!

JD

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
So when exactly did the bow tie die? Clip on or otherwise. Or has it died off yet completely?
I can find tons of tie it yourself types by Brooks Bros. and other makers at one of my local suppliers.

moustache

Practically Family
Never has died

Maj.Nick Danger said:
So when exactly did the bow tie die? Clip on or otherwise. Or has it died off yet completely?
I can find tons of tie it yourself types by Brooks Bros. and other makers at one of my local suppliers.

Try finding bow ties (other than black and white Tuxedo ties) at your normal mens shop.Not very likely.Or try the chain stores like Macy's or The Bon.Nothing.Online a few are available. But too expensive for a well made tie.Long ties are all over.Even at Walmart!!!!or Target!

Bow ties have had their adherents for many years and will always be around.Thanks in part to those who don't let it die away.Same goes for the tuxedo.
Heaven help our culture if the pajama/sweatpants crowd keep THAT in fashion for the next 100 years.

As for clip ons:To each his own.I just don't like them.

JD

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It seems the bow tie was quite common before the 1930's or thereabouts. I see a lot of bow ties especially in pictures from the 19th century.
Not seen very often today. I'm glad you, and a few others are keeping them alive. :eusa_clap

moustache

Practically Family
And during the 50's and 60's

Maj.Nick Danger said:
It seems the bow tie was quite common before the 1930's or thereabouts. I see a lot of bow ties especially in pictures from the 19th century.
Not seen very often today. I'm glad you, and a few others are keeping them alive. :eusa_clap
Especially by academics and many business men.One of my workmates told me how his mother dressed him up in a bow tie as a child.Now he sports a mowhawk haircut,tattoos all over his body,piercings all over his face, and ratty clothes.

Seems the bowtie just wasn't "popular" enough.

I'll take the bowtie over tattoos and pierced body parts anyday!!At least i can take mine off.

JD

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
...I plan to attend a formal event in the near future and the bowtie that will go best with my outfit is a clip-on. I have plenty of the tie-your-self ones, but they are just solid colors and boring patterns...nothing exciting. Any thoughts?

Formal (and semi-formal) dress is supposed to be boring. Well, it's supposed to be subdued, anyway, and some find that boring. You're of course free to do whatever you like, but I always think it looks best when men stick to classic black and white. If you want some color, go with a colorful flower in your lapel, or maybe some interesting socks.

moustache

Practically Family
Good suggestions

Orgetorix said:
Formal (and semi-formal) dress is supposed to be boring. Well, it's supposed to be subdued, anyway, and some find that boring. You're of course free to do whatever you like, but I always think it looks best when men stick to classic black and white. If you want some color, go with a colorful flower in your lapel, or maybe some interesting socks.

I agree with said suggestion above.Staid and dull for the formal attire.A shame isn't it??But that how it has evolved.
Beau Brummel would have disapproved.

JD

Haversack

One Too Many
I think it was here that in an earlier thread it has pointed out the clip-on ties, (both bow and four-in-hand) are much safer for law enforcement officers and others who have to present a professional appearance yet must be ready at a moments notice to engage in physical combat.

As far as the wearing of bow ties go, they have traditionally been associated with professions which involve drawing or drafting boards. (For a practical reason). Hence their reputation of being worn by creative types. And of course there was that opinion piece a short while back that called the bow tie the nose ring for conservatives.

Haversack.

Haversack said:
I think it was here that in an earlier thread it has pointed out the clip-on ties, (both bow and four-in-hand) are much safer for law enforcement officers and others who have to present a professional appearance yet must be ready at a moments notice to engage in physical combat.

It also makes sure they can't be strangled when overpowered ...

I have no problem with clip on bow ties on other people. I wouldn't wear them myself, because i actually enjoy the battle to get 'em to look right. It would be quite low on my list of sartorial no-no's.

bk

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I only have one- but every once and a while I'll wear a clip on bow tie. The tie looks pretty cool I think. I wouldn't be caught dead in any other kind of clip on tie, especially new ones.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Okay, I'm going to resurrect this dead thread.
I bought nine vintage clip on bow ties over the weekend and want to start wearing them. I know a lot of people don't like clip ons but when they're all you have you use them, especially when they are vintage.

What kind of collar can one wear with a bow tie? Could I wear a button-down or pointed collar with a bow tie? Sorry, I lack basic bow tie knowledge, I haven't worn one since I was a little guy. ;)

Thanks,
Billy

Baron Kurtz said:
It also makes sure they can't be strangled when overpowered ...

Shacked by BK! I actually did have someone try to strangle me with my own tie once, so it's either clip-on (where's the 'vomit' emoticon?), breakaway-fitting (preferred, but I can't find those fittings made anymore) or "tie it, cut the band and add Velcro or other quick-release fastener" (effective, but a lot of work).

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
thunderw21 said:
What kind of collar can one wear with a bow tie? Could I wear a button-down or pointed collar with a bow tie?

Yes. I had read somewhere, years ago, that button-down collars shouldn't be worn with bowties, but those partial to the American trad (prep, Ivy league, whatever) style have done it for years. I'd say that the very widest spread collars don't look good with bowties, and obviously tab collars are out, but other than that you can wear them with just about anything.

manton

A-List Customer
Orgetorix said:
Yes. I had read somewhere, years ago, that button-down collars shouldn't be worn with bowties, but those partial to the American trad (prep, Ivy league, whatever) style have done it for years. I'd say that the very widest spread collars don't look good with bowties, and obviously tab collars are out, but other than that you can wear them with just about anything.
I would add that a straight point doesn't work too well with a bow tie, either. A medium spread collar looks nice with a fancy woven bow tie (a Jermyn street design). Prints, reps, challis and madder go better with the button down. I think bow ties pair exceptionally well with button down collars and am surprised that anyone would rule out the combination.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I don't know how to tie a bowtie, but my wife has been promising for some months to cultivate that ability herself, so she can tie them for me.

While waiting for that eventuality, though, I decided to buy this pre-tied one.

Clip-ons I won't brook, but pre-ties with a neckstrap will do in a pinch, and I like this one pretty well.

The flash photo (the first one) is sharper, but the second probably captures the colors a bit more accurately:

bowtie1.jpg

bowtie2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Mmn. I'm known to prefer the untied variety by some considerable way (I'm also known to have complained bitterly when I've been involved in a sedding party and subjected to the indignity of a pre-tied cravat, but that's another story entirely!). I did at one time opt for a pre-tied on the basis that they are tighter and neater than the real thing ever could be, and as I am never seen in public wearing an untied one.... Over time, though, I came to prefer to "do it right" and, like the good Baron, I prefer the slight imperfection of a self-tied variety now. It's very rare I would wear a bow tie, though- I favour either a four in hand or a cravat for daily wear (I just might attempt a burgundy bow with a tweed suit one day, though...). Generally speaking, though, I only wear a bow tie with evening wear, and I have a strict preference for black or white as appropriate.

That all said..... while I wouldn't be keen on a clip on myself, they're certainly period correct. Even for wear with "black tie" - I'm sure there were plenty of folks back in those days too who favoured alternatives to the traditional black tie dress code. I suspect too that as a four in hand replaced the bow as the neckte of choice for the average man, clip ons and pre-tieds became more common, bearing in mind that the average man in the street back then probably didn't wear black tie a whole lot more often than many folks nowadays, and thus probably was not so likely to cultivate the skill of tying one. I do highly recommend learning - it's really easy once you know how, no harder than a four in hand. (Think of it as sitting inside a shoe and tying a bow in the laces...). There's a definite sense of satisfaction to be had from tying your own and being pleased with the look.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Skyvue, you can learn to tie a bow tie in less than five minutes, and you'll never forget.

It's not a biggie but IMO it's something every man should learn to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy