Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloggies unite! Are you Dutch? Come on in.

missjo

Practically Family
I've noticed a few Dutch people here and there and because being vintage in the Netherlands isn't as big as it probably is in other countries, I thought it might be a good idea for all us clog wearing, cheese eating, tulip loving Dutch people to sign in.
Maybe even get together for a cup of tea somewhere in our little flat country.

I am Jo, living in Amsterdam.
Have a fulltime 1930s/1940s lifestyle.

Next!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, I have Dutch ancestry. My mother's maiden name was Hotaling. Now she told me that means the family was in America a long time, because more recent Dutch immigrants would spell it Houghtaling. The ancestry almost certainly came from Greene County in New York State. Greene County is along the Hudson Valley, on the west side of the river, almost all the way up to Albany (i.e. about 120 miles north of New York City). It's where some of the first Dutch settlers in the 1600's came and started their farms. There are an amazing number of Hotalings still in that area.
There is still a large amount of Dutch influence in New York Sate, including two presidents with Dutch surnames (Roosevelt). I also have a good friend from near Schenectady whose last name is Van Voast. Her ancestry also goes back to the 17th century.
Probably the largest Dutch population in the US is in Michigan, centering on (of all things) the town of Holland, Michigan.
I'm very proud of my tiny percentage of Dutch ancestry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80