Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I ended up getting a grey coat (not the one I posted above, but a different one) and the color is perfect! It has the classic look of a beige one while still looking attractive with my coloring (winter).

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
I don't know about specific trends of eras, but for my own personal dressing I really enjoy nautical color schemes - navy, cream, bright red. However, my favorite color combinations are turquoise with coral and sky blue with lemon yellow (bright, I know!) Sky blue with coral and cream is an interesting almost nautical combination that I also enjoy. However, good old black and khaki is common in my wardrobe. I really like shades of mauve, but have a hard time finding it.

Shirin

A-List Customer
I will wear any colors except muted tones, neons and pastels. My favorites are jewel tones like ru by red, sapphire blue, emerald green, teal and garnet. I also like browns and blacks. I like white too, but don't really wear that color much anymore because it always becomes my sons napkin.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Cordelia- You look like a Spring like our 15yo daughter Sarah. She is very light skinned with peaches and cream complexion, light colored freckles, very light golden blonde hair that turns strawberry blonde in the summer, she burns instead of tanning, and has golden brown/hazel eyes. and here she is! Her hair is not this dark as it looks in this first picture, its very heavily hairsprayed and has gold glitter hairspray in it too! In the second picture, you can better see her hair color- even though the pic was taken outside at night.
360073201.jpg
359087595.jpg

I work with the "Color Me Beautiful" theory by Carole Jackson, she is one of the very first authors of the Seasonal color theory. I'm sure you can find it online. I agree that the irene one seemed very incorrect.

cordelia said:
So, i'm not the only one !
:)
And it is not a problem with traduction.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Just bought this in spite of not being a very good colour combination on me. But I couldn't resist the urge of getting my first vintage dress nor the fact that it fits perfectly. Tried and save the colour bit by adding red in accessories :) the good thing is that I'll be able to wear it at work...or so I plan. I work in retail and I'm sort of supposed to wear black...:D now this is close enough.
3750223940_1884d6f658_b.jpg

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
miss_smith said:
I don't know about specific trends of eras, but for my own personal dressing I really enjoy nautical color schemes - navy, cream, bright red. However, my favorite color combinations are turquoise with coral and sky blue with lemon yellow (bright, I know!) Sky blue with coral and cream is an interesting almost nautical combination that I also enjoy. However, good old black and khaki is common in my wardrobe. I really like shades of mauve, but have a hard time finding it.

Miss Smith, Those combos sound beautiful! I love the sound of the turqoise and and coral! My favorite new color for the 1940s is a dusty tiffany blue. I have a dress made from a dark grey and the dusty tiffany blue, its a unusual combination. I have noticed more and more original dresse and accesories made in that color.

Samantha

cordelia

New in Town
chanteuseCarey said:
Cordelia- You look like a Spring like our 15yo daughter Sarah. She is very light skinned with peaches and cream complexion, light colored freckles, very light golden blonde hair that turns strawberry blonde in the summer, she burns instead of tanning, and has golden brown/hazel eyes. and here she is! Her hair is not this dark as it looks in this first picture, its very heavily hairsprayed and has gold glitter hairspray in it too! In the second picture, you can better see her hair color- even though the pic was taken outside at night.
360073201.jpg
359087595.jpg

I work with the "Color Me Beautiful" theory by Carole Jackson, she is one of the very first authors of the Seasonal color theory. I'm sure you can find it online. I agree that the irene one seemed very incorrect.

Thanks for your answer, it's from a long time i've not seen the site !
I'm in holidays, and in paris monday, i saw lots of americans, i tryed to explain how to go to disney village, i didn't find words ! We 're in august !
It's funny, we are all te same, but, i recognize americans, japoneses(easier, yes, but not only !), italiens, there are details whitch indicate were we come from....

Your daughter is beautyfull, she seems gwyneth paltrow !
that's true, i look like her, but my hair is more like my son's(little boy on the photo), and my eyes are darker.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Favorite color combos!
canary yellow + grass green
orange + chartreuse
aqua or turquoise + chocolate brown
pumpkin + taupe + dark brown
apple red + emerald green
mint green + light pink or white or raspberry
black + chartreuse
black + white + red or pink
brown + pink

cordelia

New in Town
Shirin said:
Favorite color combos!
canary yellow + grass green
orange + chartreuse
aqua or turquoise + chocolate brown
pumpkin + taupe + dark brown
apple red + emerald green
mint green + light pink or white or raspberry
black + chartreuse
black + white + red or pink
brown + pink

i'm ok with all these combos, but not mixes between green and red/pink.
impossible for me if it is a red skirt and a green shirt for example.
if it's printed in a pattern, it's right. It stays primary colors, so a bit difficult.

I sould mix like that if i had to do it :

Shirin

A-List Customer
Yes, I couldn't do a solid red skirt with a solid green blouse. But I could do a solid green dress with a red jacket and red or green shoe/bag/hair accessory. It all depends on the tone of the color.

cordelia

New in Town
it's difficult, but possible
http://www.carolinedaily.com/2715.c2VjdHwx.html
:eek:
Usually, i associate a neutral color(grey, brown... dark or not, but neutral) with a color : red(often), blue, green, pink, or with a pattern.
It's easy, there is no risk, but often boring.

Monday, in the RER, i examinated what french women wear, it's typically that.
Lots of persons talk about parisian's look, it's only that.
Underdressed, not trying hard, simply.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I was told by my favorite vintage dealer/vintage guru (Miz Jula) that in the 40s especially, that they put lots of colors together that you would not see in combination now in our modern days. Think of those 40s rayon prints!
Here's one of mine, please forgive the very UN-vintage hair. I was just starting out and didn't know what to do with my dumb hair yet...
358982573.jpg

cordelia

New in Town
chanteuseCarey said:
I was told by my favorite vintage dealer/vintage guru (Miz Jula) that in the 40s especially, that they put lots of colors together that you would not see in combination now in our modern days. Think of those 40s rayon prints!
Here's one of mine, please forgive the very UN-vintage hair. I was just starting out and didn't know what to do with my dumb hair yet...
358982573.jpg

Your dress is lovely !
It's a pattern with pink very pale, green and blue/grey, so, i could wear theese kind of pattren.
When colors are as strong as i showed in example, i can't.
Pink is so pastel that blue and green are beautiful.

Emer

One of the Regulars
Skin tones & clothing colors

I know we have a thread for Redheads and what clothing colors look good on them, but I didn't think we just had a general "will this look good with my coloring?" thread. Feel free to merge if needed Bartenders--with my apologies!

Our Marine Corps Ball is coming up in November and I've already found a couple of dress candidates. But the one I really like, I'm worried won't look good:

dress-1.png

I tend to have a pretty yellow/gold coloring already. I think I'm what you would call a "winter?" This is from an online company, so I can't try it on before hand. Should I stick with bolder colors?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a swell dress!
I am also a winter, and I find that many yellows are hard to wear. But not usually the goldish ones, they are warm. I can't wear yellowy green or greeny yellow at all.
With the right makeup, I think this would be fine on you. Go very warm with your makeup colors - like a russet or brick or tomato lipstick/blush, and brown and gold eyeshadow - even a white skinned, gray-eyed winter like me can get away with gold if I manipulate what it does to my face.

Emer

One of the Regulars
I just looked it up, and I guess I'm techinically an "autumn," not quite a winter.

MissSis--I found that one one Google but thought it was more for what colors to pair with each other, versus what colors one could wearing with their skin tones. [huh]

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I guess originally it was, but it changed more into seasons/what colours you should wear to go with your hair/skintone. That makes more sense than just what colours to wear if you're a brunette, for example. You could be a warm brunette or a cool brunette and that changes things completely. I think it has good advice for what you're asking in your original question.

If you suit gold without major make-up, you sound more like an Autumn than a Winter. You may also suit browns, rusts, warm greens etc. If you are a Winter, it's clear jewel colours that will look better on you, like red, electric blue, emerald green etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy