Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Sorry ladies, didn't mean to take over this thread but can't resist posting photos of myself, in spite of being slightly ashamed. Obviously, slightly is not enough. lol

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well, posting in this because I got a new job that requires office-y clothing, so I put the wisdom of you ladies into practice and it helped a lot!

I got a gray pencil skirt, knee-length, in a sort of innocous knit pattern, it's not smoothly one color but it's basically a solid gray. I got a pair of simple black slacks that are not jeans. I got two button-down collared shirts, one a pale yellow with a thin black and thin red stripe, and one dark green and silky with frog fasteners - I mean the faux-Chinese-ish style frogs not ribbit-ribbit. I also got a blazer that is green with black detailing.

I already had a few sweaters and one or two cardigans and a bolero-ish layering shirt, and two white button down shirts, one cotton men's-shirt-style and the other silky. I also had a bunch of ankle-length skirts but nothing knee-length that was office-y and not evening. I think I'm good! I think I'll finally look like a grown-up! I have a couple cardigans but I need more.

This is my first office job. So I am terrified, but excited. Wish me luck.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I am an painter and so I just put things on and look to see if it is pleasing to my eye. I love bright colors and am very into the 30s-50s but especially the 40's (they are my favorite) and the thing then was to put bright colors together. I have a saying in my fashion things don't have to match they have to go. For example last year when i graduated I wore a pale teal Marylin Monroe type tress, with bright pink heel, and carried a bright blue clutch, it all went but it didn't match. If you are going to mix a number of colors you need to make sure that if you were to pair each color off with another color that it would go. Like that outfit I just talked about, the teal goes with blue, and teal and pink go, as well as the pink and the blue so all of the colors go together. Also something that makes people sometime think you are wearing a lot of different colors is to wear different shades of the same color, and then that way you know it all goes. Did that help?

JennyLou

Practically Family
Viola said:
Well, posting in this because I got a new job that requires office-y clothing, so I put the wisdom of you ladies into practice and it helped a lot!

I got a gray pencil skirt, knee-length, in a sort of innocous knit pattern, it's not smoothly one color but it's basically a solid gray. I got a pair of simple black slacks that are not jeans. I got two button-down collared shirts, one a pale yellow with a thin black and thin red stripe, and one dark green and silky with frog fasteners - I mean the faux-Chinese-ish style frogs not ribbit-ribbit. I also got a blazer that is green with black detailing.

I already had a few sweaters and one or two cardigans and a bolero-ish layering shirt, and two white button down shirts, one cotton men's-shirt-style and the other silky. I also had a bunch of ankle-length skirts but nothing knee-length that was office-y and not evening. I think I'm good! I think I'll finally look like a grown-up! I have a couple cardigans but I need more.

This is my first office job. So I am terrified, but excited. Wish me luck.

Wow, getting a new job is a rare thing these days. I've been trying for a while to get one. Congratulations and good luck.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Ok so now I wonder what I am, here I am with very little make up and one of the rare times I actually straightened my hair
hair001.jpg

and this picture shows much better how pale I truly am( please excuse the frizz in my hair)
n144100048_30211224_3813.jpg

and here I only have eye liner and mascara on (the straight hair pictures are the product of getting my hair cut earlier that day and my boyfriend not believing that my naturally very curly hair could go straight)
me003.jpg

and if it matters I my eyes are very dark brown nearly black, but they have a lot of redish amber under tones in the sun (as the picture above shows, where they look nearly the color of my hair), also even a bit of yellow. I wear a lot of bright jewel tones, and look good in black and white, white doesn't wash me out like people think ti would, and I can wear pastels a lot too. I just tend to love bright vivid colors just not red, I think it is too much with the red hair. Oh and I don't know if it is important or would help but my natural hair color is dark brown almost black. So what do you very skilled ladies think I am?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
A winter, if I understand the system right. Your ivory skin/dark strong eyecolor contrast says winter and that you can stand up to that jewel-red hair (lovely, btw) goes with that. I think.

Where are the ladies who actually know what they're talking about? 'Cause it ain't me. lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Yes, I think you are a winter. The red hair makes you look like an Autumn but that's mis-leading - it's your NATURAL haircolour that counts, that and the colours that suit you.

So naturally dark brown/black hair, dark eyes and ability to wear jewel tones and black and white = Winter!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Hi, Grant Fan. I agree with the others that you're a winter. Looking just at your face and covering the image of your hair, your skin looks pink, not peach. The pale pink lipstick and turquoise look great on you. My suggestion for a color palette:

1fad2d8c0.jpg

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Hi, Grant Fan. I agree with the others that you're a winter. Looking just at your face and covering the image of your hair, your skin looks pink, not peach. The pale pink lipstick and turquoise look great on you. My suggestion for a color palette:

1fad2d8c0.jpg

Wow see those are the colors I usually wear because I just think they are pretty, and it looks like following my instincts as an artist was right.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
ditto- GrantFan, a Winter

The light pink lipstick is better for a Summer though. In your pics it seems to be washing you out, though the red hair is too, as lovely and curly as it is:) ...
The lipsticks for a Winter are pinks, plums, burgundies, blue-red and clear reds.

Miss Sis said:
Yes, I think you are a winter. The red hair makes you look like an Autumn but that's mis-leading - it's your NATURAL haircolour that counts, that and the colours that suit you.

So naturally dark brown/black hair, dark eyes and ability to wear jewel tones and black and white = Winter!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
The light pink lipstick is better for a Summer though. In your pics it seems to be washing you out, though the red hair is too, as lovely and curly as it is:) ...
The lipsticks for a Winter are pinks, plums, burgundies, blue-red and clear reds.

In all of those pictures I actually have no lipstick on, I have clear lip gloss or lip balm on but no color at all. And I look just as pale with red hair as I do with my natural brown/black hair. Actually I would say that my natural color makes me look pretty colorless.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Ok, so I'm investing in an expensive trench coat, and want to do it right. What do you think, would stone or beige be best for my coloring? I'm thinking that both colors go with everything (right?), so I'm letting it be up to which one suits me best.

Although beige is a staple trench coat color, it's not a color I wear - I don't own a single beige item of clothing.

LADIES_TRENCH_COAT_Colours.gif

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Grant Fan said:
I. I have a saying in my fashion things don't have to match they have to go.

What you're talking about is the concept of coordination - teal and pink are coordinating/cooperative colors, as are chartreuse and purple (one of my favorites.) Lime green with red is another striking combination. Think 40's and go bold with your combinations - you'll find people are stunned very complimentary, even if they can't quite say what is so amazing about your ensemble.

I believe in carrying these coordinations to the extreme - i.e, belt, shoes and handbag all in a constrasting tone if possible, maybe a hat with a mix of both or stand-spray of one of the colors.

If you're a winter like me, it is important to keep in mind what color should be closest to your face. While I LOVE the chartreuse/violet combo, I keep the green/yellow tones as accents and the purple near my face.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
One thing to keep in mind when using complementary colors: use a main color and an accent. Half and half doesn't look right.

PDXvintagette, many of those color combinations are popular in the gardening world. :p

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
LauraC, since you are a Winter, get the black.

QUOTE=Laura Chase]Ok, so I'm investing in an expensive trench coat, and want to do it right. What do you think, would stone or beige be best for my coloring? I'm thinking that both colors go with everything (right?), so I'm letting it be up to which one suits me best.

Although beige is a staple trench coat color, it's not a color I wear - I don't own a single beige item of clothing.

[/QUOTE]

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
Ok, so I'm investing in an expensive trench coat, and want to do it right. What do you think, would stone or beige be best for my coloring? I'm thinking that both colors go with everything (right?), so I'm letting it be up to which one suits me best.

I vote for navy if you're going for a color that suits your complexion. Black would be good as well. If you need a traditional look, the beige is better.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Laura - I think you should choose the navy or the black.
Navy is really really great for pale girl and black is eternally versatile. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Navy--the new black?

I know most of us don't follow trends closely, but after 10 years of black, black and more black being the fashion, black is starting to become passe. Of course, it will never go completely out of style. But navy looks more up-to-date to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic