Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Cream

3487847473_a0701a85fd.jpg

Black (with red and ivory)
3487847515_d86afb52f7.jpg

Sky Blue with Black. Couldn't wear this blue on its own. Only wear it like this or with orange.
3487847489_5cd583bfac.jpg

Gray
3487847519_5bb92ca759.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
chanteuseCarey and Paisley are pretty sure I'm a winter, and I agree, I'm not a fall because I can wear black beautifully. I think it was just the red hair that made you think I'm a fall. I'm not going red again any time soon.

But even though I know I'm a winter, I find that some colors out of my palette still suit me well, but maybe I'm mistaken, and that's why I posed these pictures. Just knowing what season you are doesn't make it clear, not to me at least. I think my skin is more neutral than cool, but again, I don't know. So Lillemor what does it mean to be a winter with fall influences?

Your eyes, hair, complexion or some part of you may lend itself beautifully to some of the colors in the fall palette the way I understand it. It was all explained on that site I linked to some posts back.

I know there are colors I can't wear by themselves but look better with other colors. I also know that blue/red and plain orange don't suit me but a coral red/orange looks stunning on me if the shade is clear and deep.

I can wear dark chocolate brown but no medium or light shades of brown. Some shades of taupe work but not camel. Sand is a color I always have to try on to see if it looks right. Generally though, sand is best if it's really light or greyish.

Your complexion may not be the same all over. At least I'm finding that certain colors look best near my face, or my arms or my legs but not in the other areas...just to add to the confusion.:rolleyes: lol

I love bright orange so I wear it in my hair, away from my face. Fx. I'm looking for an orange clip barette or to wear in the back of my hair. I bought a nougat colored clip barette because I like it and think it can look very classy on the right person but not on me, so I wear that as a ponytail holder quite often.

Now I'm totally confused, I wish I hadn't posted anything:eusa_doh:

Laura Chase

One Too Many
crazydaisy, you are beautiful, but I already knew that! ;) Is that your natural hair color?

Your skin color looks different in every one of those photos, so I find it hard to determine... But seeing how beautiful the pink lipstick in the last photo looks on you, I believe you are a winter too. I think we have very similar coloring, but your skin might be more yellow, yes. My natural hair color is also slightly darker than yours, but our eye color looks very similar too!

I agree that that grey isn't your best, maybe try another shade of grey, I think it would work really well.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
black alone
3388943529_31933f9ae9.jpg

Mostly black: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36778968@N03/3488711820/sizes/l/

Daring to introduce the dreaded yellow, but not to my best advantage:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36778968@N03/3488711822/sizes/l/

Purples and some funny greens. This is better in reality, brighter, light was bad and only half made face. It looks kinda autumny.http://www.flickr.com/photos/36778968@N03/3488711806/sizes/l/

Forget me not blue/ Cornflower - not sure but like it although it does bring out the yellowness in my skin:
3488711772_5ba3a4eb8a.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Laura, my skin seems to look different according to light and the color I'm wearing [huh] . And yes, it's my natural hair colour. I will not dye it until is a must. My grays are starting to appear now here and there, but on a minor scale, I think I can still have it natural.
Thanks for the compliments, but do bear in mind I am trying very hard not to post the unflattering photos :eek: - got plenty of those too!

Some hot pink and purple, to counteract the dullness of the gray
3488711748_449e92c5be.jpg

An example of a BAD shade, too cool and fluorescent for me. EEK this is sooo bad!!
3488711742_6bb12592ed.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Blue/cornflower makes you look tanned, very summery.

Black is not the best, no, but you can easily wear it.

The cream looks fine but not spectacular

I agree about that blue, not good...

But the purple/hot pink beret - now that's spectactular!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Mary said:
You look wonderful!

Some hot pink and purple, to counteract the dullness of the gray
3488711748_449e92c5be.jpg

This is such a beautiful combination. CrazyDaisy, your coloring is similar to that of my MIL and she had her wedding dress dyed cornflower blue. It's the only shade of blue I've ever seen her wear. She wears a lot of heather shades (purple/violet/pinkish but not really pink) too but the ruddier ones and not the clear ones which I prefer.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Light gray, this doesn't work very well either, in spite of trying to spike it up with some red. I should stay away from grays altogether. http://www.flickr.com/photos/36778968@N03/3488760628/sizes/l/

Or from anything pale like this pink http://www.flickr.com/photos/36778968@N03/3488760668/sizes/l/

Ok, I love this orange cardigan. This works, but other oranges _ like the fruit - don't.But look underneath at the brown (slight taupe shade, maybe), I think it washes me out. Stll think I am an autumn, Lillemor?
3488760650_ab0bab12b8.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36778968@N03/3488760634/sizes/l/

And last but not least, white with electric blue , a step towards fluorescence from royal blue, but I can still pull this one off. It's best though without the acidity. And with a hint pf purple in it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36778968@N03/3488760692/sizes/l/

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Laura Chase, the pink lipstick is the lip and cheek stain from Bodyshop.
The nasty "blue" is supposedly a teal green.

Lillemor, MIL ?!!:eusa_doh: Who do you mean?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Tinseltown, you have lovely freckled skin and I think Carey and Paisley will be able to tell you your season. My gut feeling is that you are fall, but I'm awful at this.

crazydaisy, to me it seems like you already really know your colors. Not all women fit easily into one season and I tend to think you are one of them, and I think I am too.

The pale gray is blah, yes. But what about a silver grey like the one that suits me?

Oh and about the taupe, I kinda like it, it gives you a very sophisticated look but if you want the same sophistication but more flattering on your skin, I have a coat that is just a tad more over towards charcoal, and it's good on me!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Yes, I do know - based on a trial an error system, with a lot of errors :) - some of the colors that suit me. Made a lot of faux pas, I'm afraid. There are still a lot of shades that I can't really decide upon, and lately I am frightened by brown and its myriad of shades. At one time I thought it could be my black. But too cool browns don't do much for me, so I tried warmer ones. Then I saw pictures of me in those and I thought : eek... that really looks like pooh.
That taupy brown is slightly metallic, and I thought it was nice when I bought the trench coat. I don't know anymore. When I go for muted, soft, I end up washed out.
Maybe is not the color, but the way I accessorize?!

:eek:fftopic: brown eyeshadow is a challenge as well; some advisers say is great for brown eyes, others that is a no no; in terms of finding the right shade I encounter the same dilemma as in clothing, but warmer seems better.

Clothing wise silver is better than gray yes, still not my best color I think. Gray eyeshadow is disgusting on me; silver - very metallic - just about bearable. I think I have one that is actually periwinkle and when on looks silver.
Can't wear gold though!

Tinseltown, you look like an autumn in that picture, but I'm no expert. Dunno about the pink top, but picture is kinda small to tell.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Bear in mind, you need to check the colors against you WITHOUT any make up, and in good natural light, but not direct sunlight--a large window open to the North in the Northern hemisphere, and South in the Southern hemisphere in the morning, is the best.
The least bit of make up and bad light/artificial lights will throw everything off.

Lillemor

One Too Many
crazydaisy said:
Laura Chase, the pink lipstick is the lip and cheek stain from Bodyshop.
The nasty "blue" is supposedly a teal green.

Lillemor, MIL ?!!:eusa_doh: Who do you mean?

mother in-law. I'm dehydrated, overworked and stressed due to birthday preparation for tomorrow. Excuse my nonesensical posts today. I know this combination of quick checks and posts here between baking, etc. isn't a good one.lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
LaMedicine said:
Bear in mind, you need to check the colors against you WITHOUT any make up, and in good natural light, but not direct sunlight--a large window open to the North in the Northern hemisphere, and South in the Southern hemisphere in the morning, is the best.
The least bit of make up and bad light/artificial lights will throw everything off.

This works for me: If I'm wearing something that doesn't really suit me, then wearing make-up that REALLY suits me evens things out and it doesn't look so bad.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
This works for me: If I'm wearing something that doesn't really suit me, then wearing make-up that REALLY suits me evens things out and it doesn't look so bad.
That's how it works. That's why you need to find your color palette without make up first. If you have make up on that suits you and you check the palettes out, you are not going to get the correct palette because the unsuitable colors for you will not wash you out the way they do when you don't have any make up on.
At the CMB personal consultation I had, the consultant first had the participants (there were 3 of us, the consultations are done in a small group so we can see how the colors work with different seasons) wash off all make up before starting. Later on during the day, we had a make up session as well, so, we didn't have to go home bare faced. ;)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
LaMedicine said:

I tried doing all this in the photos I posted on the previous page, but even with all these precautions, some of the colors, especially one of the purples, looks different in the photo than in real life. Also, as Lillemor says, different screens show colors differently. So all of this is very biased, in any way. But still, ok for giving you an idea, especially when you have no idea like me. lol

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Of course, that involves knowing what suits one in terms of make up lol
Are you baking something nice, Lillemor? :)

As for trying to establish the correct palette by wearing no make up, La Medicine, that's a great tip. Will surely narrow down the choices!! lol

Will have to pull all my courage to go in town with nothing on - I can't see myself buying a swatch of all possible shades to try them at home. I'll try a fabric shop rather then clothes shops, in there the lighting is often so altered you cant see left from right - in some shops it is so dark you can't distinguish anything! :mad:

Sorry Lillemor, you did not say I was an autumn, got it wrong, looks you're not the only one tired around here.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
snip>>as Lillemor says, different screens show colors differently<<snip
That's why I don't do any online shopping, even the slightest difference in shades or hues in real life can be disappointing.

crazydaisy, glasses or sunglasses are great camoflage when you need to go out with your face au naturel. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn