Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Bebopbaby - your colors (hair, skin, eyes) reminds me of Joan from Mad Men, she wears green so beautiful aswell. If you can see the resemblance, she will be a great guide for you!!

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
I've always had trouble with deciding where I fall in this color season thing. I've got med. green eyes, very light sun-freckle prone skin, med brown hair with a bronzey tone in the sun, and ashy tone when not.

I tend to look better in cool colors esp. raspberry, teal, and deeper blue greens, but I'm not sure I'm quite contrasty enough for winter, as brown shoes always look slightly more natural on my bare feet than black. Yet I don't look as great in the lightest summer pastels. I look washed out in khaki and beige. Yet, Orange is my favorite color so I wear it a lot, (esp. burnt/cooler orange) and I get comments like "you look good in orange." I'm not sure whether they mean I look good in it, or they wish they had the guts to wear a bright safety-cone colored t-shirt! I went to the clinique counter once for some foundation, and found out I had more of a neutral skin tone, which has been no help at all either, so I've given up many times trying to decide. :confused:

Anyone got ideas? here's a pic of me in a raspberry jacket.

n2100021_31131803_9294.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
LaMedicine said:
If you purposely want to make something stand out, you can use this system in a reverse sort of way. For instance, if you want to procrastinate at work :p choose colors that drain color from your face ;) I am Autumn and do very badly with black--consequently, I manage to look mournful at funerals even if I am feeling chipper and bright, thanks to mourning black which is still very much the standard here. :rolleyes:
:eek: lol :eusa_clap Hysterical!
I think I like the pale, dead look, as long as you slap on some red lippy (like I should've done in the second pic). Makes you look like a vampire...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Soft Autumn

Jupiter's Darling, I think you and a few other people here might be a "soft autumn." This palette is a little confusing to me since it has warm and cool colors, but if it works for you, that's all that matters. According to this site, "You're [sic] coloring is quite neutral and you can wear soft colors from both the warm and cool colors but favor the warmer colors more. Avoid bright colors which will look garish on you."

Other soft autumns:

soft-autumn-becki-newton.gif

Becky Newton

soft-autumn-nicole-richie.gif

Nicole Richie

soft-autumn-leona-lewis.jpg

Leona Lewis (note the pink lipstick doesn't do much for her)

1fb11a970.jpg

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
Jupiter's Darling, I think you and a few other people here might be a "soft autumn." This palette is a little confusing to me since it has warm and cool colors, but if it works for you, that's all that matters. According to this site, "You're [sic] coloring is quite neutral and you can wear soft colors from both the warm and cool colors but favor the warmer colors more. Avoid bright colors which will look garish on you."

1fb11a970.jpg

Oooooohhhhh....I don't know if you were including me in the "few other people on here might be soft autumns" but I shore do *like* those colors....I think you might be on to something.....i will investigate..... :)

LaMedicine

One Too Many
You need to keep in mind that you may not necessarily look great with every single color in one's palette. When you test the individual colors, you may find some that won't do much for you.

When I had my consult, the consultant tested each color in my palette and gave them the range of one star to three, plus, making the suggestion to use the *off* colors only as mixes in prints, stripes and plaids. Three stars makes one look gorgeous, and use as the base colors for the wardrobe, choose when you want to make an impact etc etc, while the lesser stars are quite fine, but would be better in combinations or accssories or accent colors.

It was pretty funny when she was going through the palette, draping each color on me and giving explanations about them, and when she came to teal, she said "This is absolutely one of the best colors for Autumn, it's a three star color for everyone who's Autumn" and when she draped it against me, "Uh...um...:eek: it is rare but on occasions, well, it's two stars with you" lol lol lol

I got the "mix" with pewter, periwinkle, turquoise and forest green as well as a few others, while three stars were oyster white, camel, olive green, aubergine, bronze, gold, tomato red, mahogany and apricot as well as a few others. Anything with a recognizable bluish tinge mixed into the yellow base is an *off* color for me :(

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
BebBobaby, is this your natural hair color??

Sounds like an Autumn- probably. Were you deep redhead or strawberry blonde as a baby and a little kid? Do you tan? Is your skin on the peachy golden side, not pink cheeks.

Most often a Spring like moi and our DD will freckle and BURN- whereas an Autumn can get really golden...

Autumns can't wear pink well, red is good as long as its an deep orange-red, and colors like a persimmon or Campbell's tomato soup made with milk orange-red. Periwinkle is good, try on a deep periwinkle for size. A dark yellow, like Gulden's mustard is for autumns.

I can wear bright yellow summer straw hat (think daffodil) but our DD can wear a lighter (but not a pastel) yellow eyelet. Her Summer brother needs a pastel yellow button down shirt or polo shirt. He can wear a burgundy polo shirt, she and I need a watermelon pink. Baby pink is for my Summer sister, I need a peachy pink.

BeBopBaby said:
Hmm, not sure what I am. My gut tells me autumn. Greens and browns are my best colors. Robin's egg blue, cornflower blue and periwinkle look really good on me as well. Can't do reds, pinks, yellows or oranges very often. They make my face look really red. But dark golden yellows look really good. But hands down, green is my color. I have green eyes that are golden around the center and ringed in blue. Certain greens really make my eyes pop.

IMG_0359.jpg

Most of my wardrobe is green, blue, gray and black. I really need to start doing more brown colors.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
JupDarling... sound like an autumn...

Though if you look good in raspberry iits a Summer color like burgundy. Teal, deep blue greens orange are warm season colors, burnt orange is very different than orange. Sounds like the deeper shades in general are what's better on you. Beiges and khaki are autumn colors,its okay in pants or a skirt just not up next to your face. You need higher contrast hear your face, why the beige is boring at your face, if your face is almost beige (like the Clinique gal got you for foundation). Btw, my Mary Kay foundation is an ambivialent "Beige 1".

JupitersDarling said:
I've always had trouble with deciding where I fall in this color season thing. I've got med. green eyes, very light sun-freckle prone skin, med brown hair with a bronzey tone in the sun, and ashy
I tend to look better in cool colors esp. raspberry, teal, and deeper blue greens, but I'm not sure I'm quite contrasty enough for winter, as brown shoes always look slightly more natural on my bare feet than black. Yet I don't look as great in the lightest summer pastels. I look washed out in khaki and beige. Yet, Orange is my favorite color so I wear it a lot, (esp. burnt/cooler orange) and I get comments like "you look good in orange." I'm not sure whether they mean I look good in it, or they wish they had the guts to wear a bright safety-cone colored t-shirt! I went to the clinique counter once for some foundation, and found out I had more of a neutral skin tone, which has been no help at all either, so I've given up many times trying to decide. :confused:

Anyone got ideas? here's a pic of me in a raspberry jacket.

n2100021_31131803_9294.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Inky, have you tried a true emerald green??

you are right on with the other colors- especially is its in a print, as being used in small doses, just don't have the dominant one closest to your face. Good rule of thumb, sometimes you cannot get only your colors in a print.

A good one for you and Fleur as Winter vintage devotees- a black MINK!

Inky said:
Fleur - you are definitely a winter! CC has good color tips for you there.

I wanted to add that even though I am a winter, I will wear colors in other groups as skirts, accessories, belts, trousers, shoes, purses, etc, These are colors that are not particularly flattering near my face.

I love all kinds of greens, but they make me look sickly, so I avoid them near my face/upper body. So that's something you could try if you love orange for example.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
those eyes...

I'm going through my CMB (my seasonal color theory BEST book) and for Autumns they actually list "amber" eyes. With that eye color maybe the orange is just not so good close to your face.

What is your natural color of hair now, and what was it when you were a little kid? Haircoloring is the worst for throwing one off...

The Shirt said:
I just cannot figure myself out. Perhaps it is all the haircolor changes I go thru.
Vegas2008012.jpg

I love jewel tones and greens
Keiths001.jpg

Terrible in red - but more tru haircolor (a little more blond these days)
PIS.jpg

Brunette me (someday I might go back, close to my natural coloring). I think I look healthier as a brunette - it is just so much upkeep.
Oh and I literally have nearly orange eyes. They're weird, I know.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Paisley, I think you were right on the money. The pics for it, Becky Newton's kind of middling golden brownish hair colour and stuff make a lot of sense for me. I was thinking like you had to look like Marcia Cross to be a true Autumn which is not right. Thanks so much, I really appreciated getting walked through it slowly.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
if I had become a CMB color consultant,

(yeah I really did want to be one back in 1980), I'd be charging y'all $125.00-150.00 for an hour consult. And that is what I could have charged you in 1980- the prices have gone up over the years!

Last year I talked to a gal at our church about a possible 6 week class in wardrobe building; including seasonal color analysis, makeup, hair colors, accessories, etc. I'd bring in lots of sample garments from my own closet and of church gals I'm friends with, fabric swatches for draping, jewelry sets, scarves in different seasons, the works! Even do scarves as a giveaway item, one made for each season that someone could receive. I'd make them of silk charmeuse print fabric, sewn out on my serger machine.

Class based on my idea for a book I've had in mind.

I even created long ago my own version of a CMB "presentation" binder, packed with lots of info, including color pics from mags especially sewing magazines, showing clothing and models that are the different seasons. Still have it.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm naturally a brunette. In the summers I got red highlights. Now unfortunately just a lot of grey with dark brown. The second photo was my haircolor as it stands today. I will probably wear th ered thru the summer and will be about the time I think of going back to brunette.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
There's also a 12 season theory, apparently. So as a winter I can be either a deep, cool or clear winter. I don't get it... What's the difference? The site doesn't clarify it for me at all.

I think these celebrity examples on this site were fun to look through. Although often it seems like a matter of personal taste (for example For example in the case of their analysis of Drew Barrymore . I don't agree with them at all about which colors are best on her! Think she looks great with dark brown hair and also with red hair, red lipstick and a red dress!

drewbarryrighwrongcolors2dark.jpg

drewbarryrighwrongcolors1.jpg

But they say these colors are better on her. I think these colors are just plain boring on her, they turn her into a real plain Jane.

drewbarrymorerightcolors1.jpg

drewbarrymorerightcolors2.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
drewbarrymorerightcolors1.jpg

I think this look is much softer and prettier on her here.

drewbarryrighwrongcolors2dark.jpg

Than this, which makes her look a little more contrived and not as naturally pretty, to my eye. [huh]

Of course Drew is beautiful either way, which probably helps.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Hmmm.... soft autumn? Interesting. I do see some colors there that I like and wear.

Thanks for your thoughts! I've never really considered autumn before, since it has yellow and yellow greens, which I think make me look ruddy, but soft autumn doesn't look to have as many yellows... Soft summer is the counterpart of soft autumn, but a neutral on the cooler side, right? So if those two are the most neutral of all the palettes, I might just be one or the other. Yay, closer to figuring this out!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
If you get a lot of compliments in orange, you must look good in it. And in the photo taken in good daylight, your hair looks a little reddish. Overall, you look more warm than cool to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn