Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure you experts are sick of people asking, but I'd love to know your opinion on what I am!

Edit: Here's a really old candid (about early 2006 I think?) I have very little makeup on, and my skin is the same colour now as it is here, and my hair's the same colour at the mo.

264958387_5dfd233a2c.jpg

I have never really thought about what suits me - I just wear anything and everything from pastels to jewel colours, black, white and neutrals. I may have made some dreadful faux pas because of this! :eek:

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Could you possibly elaborate on this? I don't quite understand what the contrast refers to. Hair/skin? Eyes/hair?... :eek:
Hair/skin/eye/lips, the total impression. I should have said delicate or soft contrast instead of low.
Typically, Autumn/Winters have darker hair and eyes against lighter toned skin while the hair/eye/skin tone contrast is softer (so the tones are closer to each other) with Spring/Summer. This is a very overall generalization, so when you try the actual swatches, the result may not be spot on.

Fleur, you look gorgeous in anything, I've always admired your photos, your taste is absolutely fantastic.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Fleur, I think you are one of those gorgeous women who can cross over freely! But I would think you are a winter, but is it just the black hair that's fooling me? What's your natural hair color?

Please allow me to post this photo as I think it shows your skin color really well:

fleur.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cherry lips said:
Thanks Carlisle! I think most people here had this reaction though *yucky* "Not another cherry lips pic or post, I can't take it!" hahahahaha
I'm actually not that in love with myself (maybe just a little tihi!), I was sincerely curious about the season I belong to... honest haha! Any ideas are welcome.

If they do then 1. who cares; 2. They have no taste. lol lol lol

Post away I say. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys, and I've no problem with you posting that pic LC, it does show me at my paley-pale-ington best! Actually, I am going to edit my original post with a better picture of my skin colour. My natural hair colour is a darkish brown, with a slight auburn tint... and some greys... or I wouldn't be bothering to dye it!

Foofoogal

Banned
Back in the 1980s or 90s I was caught up in a series of home parties. One of these was this one where "color" was done. Did anyone else host these parties?
It was fun. They would have different drapes of color to show the different seasons.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Foofoogal said:
Back in the 1980s or 90s I was caught up in a series of home parties. One of these was this one where "color" was done. Did anyone else host these parties?
It was fun. They would have different drapes of color to show the different seasons.

Oh yes....my mom sold Jafra cosmetics in the early 80's and they implemented the whole Carole Jackson thang. By the late 80s they had simplified it to just "warm" or "cool" categories. For each, there was a paper fan with colors and you had to hold the fan up under your chin to see which was more flattering.

I saw some blip on the news years and years ago about a woman who did color analysis......it turned out she was actually a summer instead of a winter or something.....and she was *crying* because she was afraid during her time as a color analyst she had mislead people. (?)
I remembered thinking, "What a sad and shallow world we live in."
But it's still fun. :) And frankly, when trying to make a good impression, it is a good way to help you look your best.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Winter! yours is easy...

Yes, Black, white and jewel tones are all fabulous on you. Chinese red and royal blue, royal purple... Keep your pastels "icy"- white with just a drop of color in it. And with your figure and height, you are a "dramatic" Winter! Blue-red lipstick, not an orange-red, no orange anything!

Fleur De Guerre said:
I'm sure you experts are sick of people asking, but I'd love to know your opinion on what I am!

Edit: Here's a really old candid (about early 2006 I think?) I have very little makeup on, and my skin is the same colour now as it is here, and my hair's the same colour at the mo.

264958387_5dfd233a2c.jpg

I have never really thought about what suits me - I just wear anything and everything from pastels to jewel colours, black, white and neutrals. I may have made some dreadful faux pas because of this! :eek:

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Ha....and since we have been writing about this stuff, I have been looking at photos of myself a little differently---this one cracked me up (and not just because my little brother has scary Fabio hair--although that is a big part of it---this is 15 years ago, and I am sure I was at a Phish show the night before...rock on) because our skin tones are *so* different. Look how pink he is and yellow/olive I am. And how young, and tan, and thin I was! :)

colors.jpg

Anywhoo....and these are of me summer before last and last fall, respectively. The stark white background in the second one makes me look like a ghost...my hair was dyed a dark and warm brown:

fall_me.jpg
ragroller2.jpg

I am not wearing makeup in any of them (well, some mascara in the smiley one). And I have a hell of a time finding foundation that matches my skin. When I was in theatre and mixing my own base, I would have to add alot of yellow and green to it. I've been told I am an autumn...spring and summer shades look terrible on me...but sometimes I can wear winter shades. My best colors are forest green, teal, deep rust and brick red.

From now on I want to make sure all of the dresses I sew from my vintage patterns have these colors....I made one in a deep blue the other day and even though the dress itself is really cute, the color does nothing for me.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
chanteuseCarey said:
Yes, Black, white and jewel tones are all fabulous on you. Chinese red and royal blue, royal purple... Keep your pastels "icy"- white with just a drop of color in it. And with your figure and height, you are a "dramatic" Winter! Blue-red lipstick, not an orange-red, no orange anything!

Thanks cC, in that case I think I wear the right sort of colours. I do have a coral lippy, and it looks kind of nothing-y, and I have tried to find an orange-red that suits but nothing ever does, now I know why! I have an orangey top that I sometimes wear but I don't think it does a lot for me... maybe that one's for the charity shop then!

Amelina, you are gorgeous!

Inky

One Too Many
Fleur - you are definitely a winter! CC has good color tips for you there.

I wanted to add that even though I am a winter, I will wear colors in other groups as skirts, accessories, belts, trousers, shoes, purses, etc, These are colors that are not particularly flattering near my face.

I love all kinds of greens, but they make me look sickly, so I avoid them near my face/upper body. So that's something you could try if you love orange for example.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Inky said:
I wanted to add that even though I am a winter, I will wear colors in other groups as skirts, accessories, belts, trousers, shoes, purses, etc, These are colors that are not particularly flattering near my face.

I love all kinds of greens, but they make me look sickly, so I avoid them near my face/upper body. So that's something you could try if you love orange for example.

I do the same thing. I'm a summer, but I love yellow. I have a yellow sash I wear with white tops and dark blue skirts or pants.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'll take a stab too...

I just cannot figure myself out. Perhaps it is all the haircolor changes I go thru.
Vegas2008012.jpg

I love jewel tones and greens
Keiths001.jpg

Terrible in red - but more tru haircolor (a little more blond these days)
PIS.jpg

Brunette me (someday I might go back, close to my natural coloring). I think I look healthier as a brunette - it is just so much upkeep.
Oh and I literally have nearly orange eyes. They're weird, I know.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
The Shirt said:
Vegas2008012.jpg
Keiths001.jpg
PIS.jpg
QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliments gang! Sadly, I cut my bangs in a fit of despair and my hair has lightened a bit so I look totally different than that last pickie in my last post.

Shirt:
I love the green and the dark pink....I think you are right about the tomato red...maybe a blue based red would be better? It's hard to tell since hair color changes everything sometimes.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Yaaaaaay, I'm learning it! My first thought was that Fleur is a winter, and the experts agree!

MissAmelina, you are really pretty. I thought you were a spring, but your best colors sound autumn. :)

The Shirt, the emerald green is ACE!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt said:
I just cannot figure myself out. Perhaps it is all the haircolor changes I go thru.
Vegas2008012.jpg

I love jewel tones and greens
Keiths001.jpg

Terrible in red - but more tru haircolor (a little more blond these days)
PIS.jpg

Brunette me (someday I might go back, close to my natural coloring). I think I look healthier as a brunette - it is just so much upkeep.
Oh and I literally have nearly orange eyes. They're weird, I know.

Notice how well your wallcolor suits you aswell!! It looks bluish purple to me, so I think you pull of strong colors well, maybe that red you are wearing isn't clear or strong enough. BTW you are one gorgeous gal :) !

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Hmm, not sure what I am. My gut tells me autumn. Greens and browns are my best colors. Robin's egg blue, cornflower blue and periwinkle look really good on me as well. Can't do reds, pinks, yellows or oranges very often. They make my face look really red. But dark golden yellows look really good. But hands down, green is my color. I have green eyes that are golden around the center and ringed in blue. Certain greens really make my eyes pop.

IMG_0359.jpg

Most of my wardrobe is green, blue, gray and black. I really need to start doing more brown colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn