Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

The Shirt

Practically Family
Miss Mary-
You are lovely first thing in the morning. I wish I could wake up like that!
I think your best colors are Red, Purple, Royal blue, White, Pale Blue and Cerise. I think blondes always look striking in black as well. Blues really suit you and I go back and forth on the turquoise - I think it is because the other blues seem to pick up your eyes and make them more intense. The turquoise though gorgeous on your skin, downplays how fierce your eyes are. Seems to me that the jewel tones look really nice on you.

Just my 2 cents.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the turquoise is a little too intense. A lighter shade might work. (See the sweater I'm wearing under my suit; Mary and I have about the same coloring.)

Mary

Practically Family
I'm overwhelmed with your response! :D Thanks for taking your time.

Laura, I do think I have a little yellow skin but I still think it is bluish underneath, but I'm not really sure. Remember when we tried lipsticks in my garden. Not one out of 10 were right for me compaired with you who look just lovely in everything!

Very interesting choices from you all, and very varying! So you didn't make me all that much wiser. [huh] But fun you didn't rule out all the the strong colours on me!

I agree with you, The shirt, different blues suits med and I'll try to find new ones aren't to intense.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Mary, I'd say you're a summer: your blue-gray eyes and the fact that you look good in cool colors. And I think we all agreed that you looked good in almost all the colors you chose--you already have a good sense of what looks good on you.

d3f65660.png

Foofoogal

Banned
So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly arise and make them miserable.

-Huxley, Aldous Leonard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldous_Huxley
I am definitely not a humanist as it seems he was but still fitting and interesting. I had never heard of him till I found the quote online recently.

Thank you chanteuseCarey. Not exactly sure where I found it but can be found in different places on the net. I found it fitting for recent events.

My avatar was in front of a fountain in front of the Louvre in Paris, France. My honey surprised me with a trip with his air miles for our 33rd. anniversary.
The Louvre was amazing beyond words. Because of my business and privacy I do not show closeups online or give much personal info. Thank you. Sandy

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Mary, we all did agree that the light blue looks really good, it really picks up your eyes. I think this is something blue-eyed girls can do so well - put on a blouse the same color as your eyes, and POP! I've always wanted blue eyes, it's definitely not that I'm sad to have brown eyes, but blue eyes are so ethereal, out-of this world, connected to the highs of the sky and the deeps of the sea, whereas brown is very down-to-earth.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the help, ladies. I have never coloured my hair so I keep waffling: I think I just have to pull up my big girl pants and do it! lol

My eyes are a strong (but not light) green so maybe a copper or deeper red-brown tone would make them pop or more. It does have to look, well, not natural-as-in-just-like-mine, but plausible, because I'm job-hunting. That's why I was leery of my guy's top recommendation - black. I LOVE black on ladies who can carry it but I think on me it might veer toward too much. Deep chestnut/coffee/mink might give a similar effect, without as much harshness. I hope.

My mom is pushing for a red/copper/strawberry - which sounds appealing, and there is a reddish note in my hair, but I worry my mom doesn't know - she still describes my medium brown as "blonde" on the theory I was when I was little. lol

josie2iz3.jpg
This pic is what makes me think red could work, because while I never coloured it, the light here makes it look redder than it is, and I think it looks pretty good.

57250763.jpg
Better view of my eyecolour. Don't worry, I don't spend a lot of time in those glasses! But, uh, they'r retro? Sorta.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Viola....You have the same natural hair color that I do. A brown /red or Auburn would look wonderful on you. You would be surprised. I dye mine an auburn so when my roots grown in you can't see them very well.

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
I was just wondering what people thought about character and colour? That someone might be a "deep winter" (I think that's it?) and be recommended a tomato red, but if they're a bit shy, they might feel that something like tomato red is a bit too loud for them. Equally, someone who's an extrovert, but doesn't fall into the category where they could wear something like tomato red, might well be able to get away with wearing it because it matches their temperament.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Darhling - you are such a beautiful girl that you could shave your hair off and you'd still look wonderful.

I love how it makes your skin look really pale and sets off your eyes.

For the record I think your dark hair is terrific and makes you look like Snow White and if that makes people think that YOU look old then all I can say is heaven help the rest of us!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
helenhighwater said:
I was just wondering what people thought about character and colour? That someone might be a "deep winter" (I think that's it?) and be recommended a tomato red, but if they're a bit shy, they might feel that something like tomato red is a bit too loud for them. Equally, someone who's an extrovert, but doesn't fall into the category where they could wear something like tomato red, might well be able to get away with wearing it because it matches their temperament.

I think that's true.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
helenhighwater said:

I think this is a good point. I've always avoided finding out what season I am, because I like to wear whatever my heart desires, and follow my mood swings across the rainbow :p After looking at the link that Lillemor posted (I can't help but be curious) I believe I'm definately not a summer nor a winter, but either an autumn or a spring. Somebody once said she thought I was an autumn, and I have a lovely 50s dress with autumn shades (different shades of brown, a little orange and moss green) that I always get compliments for. I'm a brunette (who's hair turns golden in the summer), I have hazel eyes (brown near the pupil, green, then gray at the outer part), pale pink skin (MAC NW15), and there are already too many pics of me posted here at the lounge hehe. I have a lot of temperament and love strong colors, and would never dream of settling for an autumn spectrum. I imagine that every color suits me lol

P.S. For several of my teen years and early twenties I wore all black! I wear black on the outside, 'cause black is how I feel on the inside hahaha
Today I'm wearing mint green, cream and rosewood. Sorry to bore you to death tihi!
What season is Elizabeth Taylor? Whatever one she is, that's my favorite <3

Lillemor

One Too Many
I'm a winter who for a long time was very uncomfortable with many of the bolder colors. Red has only grown on me this year and I've felt uncomfortable all the times people have dressed me in red in the past or have talked me into wearing red. Now I'm obsessed with finding as many shades and hues of red that suit me. It's happened along with growing confidence and becoming more outgoing.:) I still don't understand the rules about what other colors go with red so I go by what I feel comfortable wearing with red. Purple, pink, coral and red are fine. I feel strange if I wear red and green or red and yellow. Red and blue are nice too.

Lillemor

One Too Many
MissAmelina said:
Winter, Autumn:

winter4.jpg
autumn.jpg

Summer, Spring:

summer.jpg
spring.jpg

I'm confused (or maybe just ignorant) I think the 'Summer' looks more like a Spring and the 'Fall'/'Autumn' looks more like a Spring. Summer + Fall = low contrast. Spring + Winter = high contrast...roughly/generally unless one is a subcategory. Uhm...now I've just managed to add to my own confusion.:eusa_clap ;):rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart