Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
Sorry but I agree 100%. The dark hair adds about 10 years to your age. You do look lovely of course in both but somehow you just need to get them to respect you with blonde hair. It is their problem and not yours.
BTW: My dad had the exact color of eyes as you.

I should say there is 7 years apart in the pics and I do agree that blonde hair can be much more youthfull than dark, but I don't think that dark hair is aging per say (unless the verdict is that I look 40 years old on the brunette pic of course).

Lillemor

One Too Many
It has as much to do with what colors you have in your wardrobe (or if you can afford a big overhaul) and what make-up colors and amount of make-up you choose to wear. So either could work for you. I have a weakness for natural reddish shades so I'm partial.;) But red could be red of course, strawberry blonde, any shade of auburn and other combinations I haven't thought of. Some make light brown and orange reds look really good in combination with the brown under the orange. They usualy have a very fair complexion.

I think what ages some women more than darker hair is that they aren't willing to change the colors they wear or aren't aware of what a difference it makes so they automatically assume that dark hair isn't for them or that it certainly ages them which is most cases; the color itself doesn't do.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Darhling you wear blonde and brunette equally well without it having an impact on what age you appear!:) I'm actually really envious of people who can get away with stuff like that.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Viola-
I think you would looks fabulous with a dark red or a deep brunette as suggested previously. You have lovely skin and such a pretty eye color.

Lillemor

One Too Many

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Shirt said:
Viola-
I think you would looks fabulous with a dark red or a deep brunette as suggested previously. You have lovely skin and such a pretty eye color.

Agreed. Your natural color is actually pretty close to mine -- I'm a bit darker, but the undertones are the same. I color a bit darker using Garnier #56, which is a medium reddish brown -- not flamboyantly red, but there are glints of red which work well with the darker brown. You might try something in that range and see how it looks.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor said:
I think what ages some women more than darker hair is that they aren't willing to change the colors they wear or aren't aware of what a difference it makes so they automatically assume that dark hair isn't for them or that it certainly ages them which is most cases; the color itself doesn't do.

You have stated many great points here, my wardrobe was a very different as a blonde, lots of gold, tan, champagne colors then. I would never DREAM of wearing red, and not I live in that color!

I am sure I will incorporate a lot more navy and jewel green tones, perhaps purple (which I love) when I go red :).

Viola - maybe it is my screen, but your hair has some faint warm/red tone to it, maybe go red!! (Although I am far from partial on that matter at the moment lol ).

You have beautiful eyes and a gorgeous complexion that a brighter and/or darker color can bring out even more.

Foofoogal

Banned
Darhling. I do think you would probably look great with red hair. I have always wanted to try it myself. I had a flaming red haired aunt that was married 8 times.
I would of never imagined you as a natural blonde and was taken off guard by your beauty. You look a great deal like a niece of mine so maybe I was swayed by that.

Mary

Practically Family
Please don't turn this tread into a rude one! It's so boring that way!! I've been looking at the samples and I guess I can't be a winter cause I'm blonde.

I took some pic 6.30 this morning. I thought that'd bring a true light to my face. I'm hoping you could help me find what colous suits me best?! Maybe they are all wrong, what horror!

My purple coat:

2009_0423palett0003.jpg

A cerise/ dark pink one.

2009_0423palett0007.jpg
[/IMG]

And a dark davy one.

2009_0423palett0008.jpg

Don't know what it is called in English

2009_0423palett0009.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
I've only been in the UK once, on our honeymoon.

Didn't know what Marigolds were, thought she was calling me a name... sorry Helen[huh] .

chanteuseCarey, I've been to London numerous times, and I watch UK television, and I did not know what Marigold's are either. ;) So don't worry, it's not just you. :)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
To Helenhighwater, I sincerely apologize...

Mary is of course right.

Helen, I was wrong in part of what I wrote back to you. I was rude to you, and it was bad form. I ask you to forgive me for my unkind remarks. I obviously misinterpreted your comments. I could have PM'd you with this, but since I said it publicly, I feel it necessitates an apology online.

As I say to my children and DH too when I catch myself having done this- my being tired doesn't give me right to be rude to others, or use it as an excuse for being short tempered and saying unkind things. I need to listen to my own admonitions and then do it- more than I confess I do.

Done. With that, let's move on gals shall we in a positive direction from here, okay?

Its a beautiful spring day, and our 100+ roses here are in full bloom and they smell heavenly. Life is good:) .

Mary said:
Please don't turn this tread into a rude one! It's so boring that way!!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Mary, almost all of these colors look really good. My faves: purple, cerise, light yellow (which I would call cream), pale blue, gray and red.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Oh Mary, I think it's so difficult, because to be honest I think all the colors look good on you. Maybe with the exception of this one:

2009_0423palett0008.jpg

I'm just going with my gut feeling here, so I'm afraid I don't have any explanations and I can't tell whether you are warm or cool. :eek: It looks as though you have a bit of yellow in your skin, though (judging from your eyelids, especially).

A possible bias: There is a bit of a difference in the light in your photos, and it makes it a tad difficult to judge.

As to which ones I especially like on you, I'd say these:

2009_0423palett0010.jpg

2009_0423palett0020.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
Also, is it just me or does a pale to mid blue just suit everybody? It does something wonderful to all skin tones in my opinion.

No, I'm afraid it doesn't in my case! I'm a pale Autumn (pale skin, brown eyes) and those shades make me look ill. But a nice Airforce Blue or muted Navy is fine! It's all about the shade. My Mother, also an Autumn but a brunette, looks pretty terrible in most blues except turquoise.

Darhling, you have the most amazing eyes. Your blonde hair does look lovely and glowy. I also think you look good as a brunette, but I have a hankering to be a brunette myself, so I might be a bit biased. :eek: I think it's very striking having dark hair IF it suits you. I have sort of dirty blondey brown hair. I tried to go a bit darker and everyone thought it looked strange as my eyebrows are quite light. Also I have a very sensitive scalp so I can't really be bothered with dying it all the time and upsetting it. [huh]

Luckily I discovered years ago I was an Autumn, but I've also always been colour confident. My mother instinctively used to dress me in the warm but muted Autumn tones when I was a little girl.

I avoid black as I look dead in it, but on a Winter person, it looks amazing. It's helped me avoid making costly mistakes with vintage too as I know what colours suit me.

Viola, I'm not sure yet what season you are, but if you are an Autumn, and want to wear a purple, go for Aubergine. It looks lovely on Autumns!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL