Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Carey - but I can't make Winter fit my original colors!

My eyes are super light blue with tiny flecks of gold and green (says my eye doctor), my skin is definitly warm and my original hair color is dark'ish blonde!

C'est moi!

x1pqN4SVrgvmykwquXSwVmHEhrsHJJ-MDrC.jpg

Here is my eyecolor more obvious with the dark hair

DSC_0254.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
OMGosh, WOW WOW...

You are STUNNING as a natural BLONDE!!!! Why are you coloring your hair black my dear?? Simply INCREDIBLE.

Ladies, do you see this- these two pics of darhling are amazing- look closely at the differences of which is best for her. As a blonde she just GLOWS! Here is excellent evidence to show about hair coloring.

You are of course right, I could not tell from your sometimes fuzzy or camera flash being in your face in some pictures until these you've now posted. Now I know what was that "something" in your pics I couldn't quite put my finger on that was just a bit "off", and why you kept choosing the colors you did...

I stand humbly corrected, the black/dark hair you've been doing has been completely throwing me off-especially with your eye color in your pics. I thought you had colored contacts or something...Your eye color is KEY, in why the black hair color looked not the best in the pics I kept seeing with those gorgeous eyes of yours.

Your clothes and makeup you wear are perfect for a warm blonde, not the Winter your hair was trying to fake you out to be. Please consider returning closer to your natural hair color... or a dark golden warm brunette- think Rita Hayworth not Bettie Page.

The black hair is NOT your best look, every pic you posted was even making you look- dare I say it-older and tired. Please take that in the best possible way. I see so many young pretty teen blondes out here (we have a middle schooler and a high schooler here, and we live across the street from the middle school) go to stark black hair trying to look hip, retro/metro punk or goth or whatever, it just makes them look tired and sad.

Darhling said:
Thank you Carey - but I can't make Winter fit my original colors!

My eyes are super light blue with tiny flecks of gold and green (says my eye doctor), my skin is definitly warm and my original hair color is dark'ish blonde!

C'est moi!

x1pqN4SVrgvmykwquXSwVmHEhrsHJJ-MDrC.jpg

Here is my eyecolor more obvious with the dark hair

DSC_0254.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Carey!! I know the hair looks black, but it is very dark brown. I doubt I will go back my natural color soon, I was steretyped by everyone, no matter how demure I dressed (long blonde and thick, curly hair, blue eyes, large breasts, hour glass figure = you can do the math!). Ever since I dyed it dark, you wouldn't believe how I have been treated better and more seriously by men and women alike.

I have wanted to go red for a while now, not a dark red, but a medium, strong red and another gal has just suggested Rita aswell.

Perhaps my glow is a result of the deep tan and a love of 'glow' blush I had :eek:

Awww thank you Fleur!!

Inky

One Too Many
Darhling, I think you look marvelous with the dark brown hair. I think it would be fun if you tried a red Rita-colored hair and that would be a great in-between step if you were thinking of going back to a lighter color anyway.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
Laura, your sweater is beautiful, it looks very bittersweet deep orange red (think Campbell's tomato soup made with milk orange-red). Is this the case?? The friend in your pic might look good in it. You are right, a blue-red is definitely better for you.

I think the red color the sweater has suits me fine (it's actually two different sweaters, the first is more warm red while the second is a cooler red, I think. I believe you were talking about the first), so I don't think you can always stick to the season-recommendations, but they are certainly good as thumb rules. :)

Darhling, I like you much better as a brunette! You look good as a blonde too, though. ;) But I was totally fooled into thinking you had a cool skin, and I've seen you irl. :D But I think this goes to show that season theory is not quite water-tight, but as I said, probably good as a guiding line. The rest of the way, it's intuition, although I'd rather not count on mine. lol

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
Darhling, I think you look marvelous with the dark brown hair. I think it would be fun if you tried a red Rita-colored hair and that would be a great in-between step if you were thinking of going back to a lighter color anyway.

Thank you Inky!! Also hair color is fun and luckily most of the time something I can change.. Now the hard part will be the expensive trip to the hairdresser! (I nearly fell down my chair when I asked how much it would cost, apparently a cut, two times of haircolor removal (not bleaching) and new all over color is the same price as a goldbar!!)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Rita. Yes. She's not a strawberry blonde...

Her hair color would be wonderful for you to try out. There is pic of Rita with amazing rolled bangs and a topper hat someone posted on the Beauty thread somewhere, a great color head shot.

Though Rita did make a film called The Strawberry Blonde I believe. I recently saw picture of Rita for a film done up as a platinum blonde, not her best hair color for sure.

fv
Darhling said:
I have indeed tried strawberry blonde, perhaps it was the wrong shade of strawberryblonde, but it didn't look quite right..

Inky

One Too Many
Darhling said:
Thank you Inky!! Also hair color is fun and luckily most of the time something I can change.. Now the hard part will be the expensive trip to the hairdresser! (I nearly fell down my chair when I asked how much it would cost, apparently a cut, two times of haircolor removal (not bleaching) and new all over color is the same price as a goldbar!!)

I feel your pain on the cost, Darhling - I get mine done every 8 weeks (and should go more often but I have to save up!) at $122 for bleaching and two colors (currently blood red and dark brown). That's probably cheaper than the city since we live in a rural college town, so I consider myself lucky. But it is so worth it to have it done professionally, especially if you are changing shades!

Beauty is painfully expensive ;)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
I feel your pain on the cost, Darhling - I get mine done every 8 weeks (and should go more often but I have to save up!) at $122 for bleaching and two colors (currently blood red and dark brown). That's probably cheaper than the city since we live in a rural college town, so I consider myself lucky. But it is so worth it to have it done professionally, especially if you are changing shades!

Beauty is painfully expensive ;)

Tell me about it! I was quoted aprice of $340 for a cut, two times color removal and new all over color!! The upside is I haven't been to the hairdressers for 6 months (I color it at home and the split ends are always a minimum even after so long) so if I divide that price with 6, then I can justify it lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, stereotyping sucks...

Especially when a gal is large breasted. I know what you are saying. You know how tiring it gets to hear from small busted ladies about how lucky I am that I have large breasts? Yeah right. Sigh...

My younger sister is 4'11" and after two kids she was a size 0 with a DD cup, she had reduction surgery years ago. She's in real estate and the men in her field never took her seriously...

Darhling said:
Thanks Carey!! I know the hair looks black, but it is very dark brown. I doubt I will go back my natural color soon, I was steretyped by everyone, no matter how demure I dressed (long blonde and thick, curly hair, blue eyes, large breasts, hour glass figure = you can do the math!). Ever since I dyed it dark, you wouldn't believe how I have been treated better and more seriously by men and women alike.

I have wanted to go red for a while now, not a dark red, but a medium, strong red and another gal has just suggested Rita aswell.

Perhaps my glow is a result of the deep tan and a love of 'glow' blush I had :eek:

Awww thank you Fleur!!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
MUAH Tess, thank you darling :)

Carey, I am not sure the gold and green shows up unless you are VEEERY close, so I am guessing blue? I had no idea there were THAT many kinds of blue eyes lol

here is the closest shot I could fine of them. I think they are too clear/bright to be a blue-grey though. People say they are Steve McQueen blue IRL, especially with the blonde hair. EDIT: come to think of it, people have for many, many years tought I wore colored contacts..

DSC01901-1.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
So does this mean that red isn't good on me at all, as a clothing color, or do you think that certain shades of blue red would be good? I've experienced that red does suit me, but definitely not the orange-reds. I'm wearing red here (don't mind my lipstick here, obviously the wrong choice with that blouse but I never think about coordinating makeup and clothing) and here.

Wearing red hair is a lot different from wearing red clothing. It's two very different kinds of red.

A suggested outfit using red:

Black and white print dress:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=4097743340275843302&id=933090&parentid=APP_DRESS_GRAPHIC&pushId=APP_DRESSES&prepushId=APP_DRESS_GRAPHIC&popId=APPAREL&sortProperties=%2BmarketingPriority%2C-saleDate&navCount=22&navAction=poppushpush&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=009&colorName=BLACK+MOTIF

Red sweater (light, cool red):

http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=17026&N=1200259&categoryId=2099&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_2099&loc=LN&defaultColorNameFromCategory=Black&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Hmm I was trying to navigate the color site and it seems I have been using colors both suited for my true spring colors and fake winter colors! Black, charcoal, light grey, clear and tomato red are my colors du jour! So I am guessing I should look good as both, right?

Funny, my make up colors are the same, with a little rose pink blush..

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Darhling said:
Hmm I was trying to navigate the color site and it seems I have been using colors both suited for my true spring colors and fake winter colors! Black, charcoal, light grey, clear and tomato red are my colors du jour!

But wouldn't you think they'd be different shades of those colors, since spring is intended for a warm skin tone whereas the winter colors for a cool?

Spring palette:
24d8115e0.jpg

Winter I palette:
d4264710.png

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
But wouldn't you think they'd be different shades, since spring is intended for a warm skin tone whereas winter is for a cool?

I would think so, but they are labeled with the same names [huh] dunno, I find it all a bit confusing lol especially with several types of winter and spring.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
One problem with the above photos together is that they were shot in different lighting. Notice how the upper photo is grayish and underlit, while the lower photo is crisp and bright.

If you're in doubt, I suggest checking out the book Color Me Beautiful from your library, if they have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80