Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Laura's green and pink items...

I agree with Paisley, the green looks emerald here, good for you as a Winter. Ditto the charcoal coat. The pink hat, looks too rose pink to be best for you- gift it to Paisely who is a Summer lady! Winters really need to watch their pinks. An "icy" pink- think white with a drop of pink tint in it, is okay. My Mom was a Winter, so is my SIL. My sister is a Summer, so is one of my brothers.

Paisley said:
I couldn't tell, either, which winter you were. I would trust the colors you've chosen (the swatches) over what I posted, though.

The green blouse does look good on you. Yes, the pink is a cool pink: it's closer to lilac than orange. It looks good on you, although it might not be the very best color for you.

As for skirts and pants, some good colors to match your tops would be very dark brown (to go with deep pink, red and green), navy (to go with white, if that's a good color for you), black and gray (to go with most jewel colors).

Laura Chase

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
I agree with Paisley, the green looks emerald here, good for you as a Winter. Ditto the charcoal coat. The pink hat, looks too rose pink to be best for you- gift it to Paisely who is a Summer lady! Winters really need to watch their pinks. An "icy" pink- think white with a drop of pink tint in it, is okay. My Mom was a Winter, so is my SIL. My sister is a Summer, so is one of my brothers.

Thanks for the feedback! You guys are pros. :)

Do you have any thoughts about the two shades of red hair I posted earlier? Am I right in thinking that the first one is too warm and orangey for me, whereas the second one (the photo isn't that good, but I hope you can see it) is better?

Laura Chase said:
I also realized that I must definitely be a cool, looking at what types of red color hair have suited me, and the times I've colored my hair a tad too orange red, it didn't look that good, whereas a darker, cooler red tends to look good.

I guess, then, that the lipstick color in the first photo is also too orange for me? It's NARS Casablanca and it's so beautiful but I'm not sure if it's ok on me.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
:eek:fftopic: Is there another thread about this subject that our posts can be moved to?

Are you going after your natural or dyed hair color?

Paisley, would you usually dye your hair a cool shade if your skin is cool, or is it possible to get the best out of your coloring with warm color hair if you have cool skin? I find that on me, it's best with a cool shade, but I remember that kamikat (I believe, apologize if I'm mistaken) wrote in another thread that it would balance off cool/warm skin to have hair in a contrasting color, that is cool skin and warm hair and warm skin and cool hair.

I'm not very familiar with dying hair. The only time I dyed my hair, I went with a dark ash brown. Hardly anyone noticed.

A friend with coloring similar to mine used to dye her hair light, buttery blond, and it made her look hard, and I've seen the same effect on other women. I'm no expert on dye by any means, but to me, people look better when they go with a color that looks like it grew out of their own head.

BTW, I think your own hair color is terrific. My mother has black hair and I'm partial to the color.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Seconding the query if there's an existing Season thread or something we could move to, as I don't want to derail but I don't want to make a new thread either if that's an issue.

On topic, I find the easiest colour to blend with a lot of different combinations, for me, is green. The hardest is a colour I've never worn much but my fiance likes on girls: purple. I think I might just get a purple skirt to wear with cream blouses, and keep it well away from my face?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Without seeing you, I'd guess you're an autumn, Viola. I'm a summer and lilac is my color. I can only wear specific shades of green, though; I generally just avoid the whole color green.

Is your fiancee a techie of some sort? They're said to like lavendar.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Viola said:
I find the easiest colour to blend with a lot of different combinations, for me, is green. The hardest is a colour I've never worn much but my fiance likes on girls: purple. I think I might just get a purple skirt to wear with cream blouses, and keep it well away from my face?

Viola, I think that those exact two colors you mentioned could go well together, that is, green and purple. It works for the Joker. lol No, but I'm serious, the right color aubergine purple put together with the right shade of green would look stunning, in my opinion.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Hehe, really? That's so interesting. He's a huge computer nerd, (I say this with love) and he's got a degree in physics and looking at going for his doctorate. He likes purple on girls but his favourite colour, overall, is orange, fortunately.

The Autumn makes sense, I think, since I can't really wear many pastels aside from some silvery greens and some yellows. Summer seems to do more of those. I was only conflicted because when it comes to darker colours I wear navy (summer) a bit easier than I wear brown. But since I'm more likely to sidestep that particular issue by wearing dark rusty reds, I'll gladly go with Autumn. lol

I appreciate the help so much.

My real issue is most of my old wardrobe (not old = vintage, old = just things from Old Navy a few years ago, etc) is either looking beat, or just plain doesn't fit anymore as I got in shape, so I want to rebuild in a nicer, more pulled together way.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
Viola, I think that those exact two colors you mentioned could go well together, that is, green and purple. It works for the Joker. lol No, but I'm serious, the right color aubergine purple put together with the right shade of green would look stunning, in my opinion.

Heh, I'll do it, and blame any Heath Ledger resemblance on you! ;)

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Viola, a skirt in purple sounds great. Wearing colors you love but "can't wear" as skirts or pants is the solution, IMHO. :) I have a grey skirt that I love, but I doubt the color would look good near my face.

I think one of biggest problems in picking colors - especially from a "season" guide - are the subtle variations that occur in real life. Just because a top says "turquoise" doesn't mean it's my turquoise! I have to be able to see a garment or a piece of fabric (most of the time), because just the tiniest undertone can shift the whole thing from "great" to "ick-I-look-like-death-warmed-over". lol

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I clearly just need to steal one of you ladies to go clothes shopping with me! I need a Vintage Clothes Shopping Friend.

miss_elise

Practically Family
okay so looking at it all I think I am naturally a Summer... I have green eyes, and a beige/pink complexion, I wear silver jewellery, my natural hair colour is mouse blonde.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
hair color, shopping buddy, etc.

Laura, I completely agree with Paisley- take a look at your own avatar pic sweetie- you are gorgeous with your natural black hair and lovely pale complexion! Why color it?? Both reds are wrong for your hair, the orange- red isn't your color, and the deep red is too strong, harsh and brassy looking for your beautiful delicate complexion. The darker shade might work possibly a blouse or in small doses as contrast trim, but please not on your hair.

Paisley of course as a lovely Summer, if she colored her hair would stick with an ash shade. As a Spring, I look for a color with warm in the name. I recently colored mine, and like Paisley's nobody even noticed. That's a good thing!

The best kind of vintage or vintage-inspired personal shopper, (friends/buddies are always biased-not worth the strain it could cause on the relationship) is someone that is your season. Unless its a woman that knows all about your season, your "best" look for your figure type, is brutally honest, has your best interests at heart, and won't say something looks good on you when it doesn't just to stroke your ego. I had a male friend and former roommate that took me with him to shop for his clothes for this very reason. He was quite a snazzy (almost a dandy) dresser- always looked very sharp. Once he paid me to sew suspender buttons on four pairs of his trousers.

Friends/buddies may will steer you towards things that may be wrong for you but right for them! And when shopping with you may tell you what they think you want to hear, even if its not the entire truth! Better to find a favorite vintage dealer "guru/guide" who is willing to work with you and for you. She'll earn your respect and your repeat business. That's what I have done.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Shade gradiations are important....

SRL, YES, what you've said is very true here. Also the gradation of color is important. Time and maturity are factors as well. I as a dynamic Spring at 50 can wear an entire dress in a bright salmon colored silk or a crayon blue or aqua linen blouse, yet the same on my almost 15 year old DD who is a youthful figured delicate Spring its overwhelming. Put her in a pretty peach voile or light yellow chiffon though... I've created swatch "sets" of my own years ago since I sew.
At this stage of the game I can now pick out the exact right shades.

ShoreRoadLady said:
I think one of biggest problems in picking colors - especially from a "season" guide - are the subtle variations that occur in real life. Just because a top says "turquoise" doesn't mean it's my turquoise! I have to be able to see a garment or a piece of fabric (most of the time), because just the tiniest undertone can shift the whole thing from "great" to "ick-I-look-like-death-warmed-over". lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
me in bright pink and brown

Here is a good and somewhat unusual color combination. I cannot wear the brown up close to my face so well, so its in the skirt, purse and shoes, and the color of the veil of my hat. These pics were taken at the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto, by DD Sarah. That's my DH Chuck in his vintage WWII Army Air Corp Captain's summer uniform

Vintage pieces:
4/19/1941 wedding straw tilt hat
40s eyeglasses
clip earrings
pearl brooch pin
black nylon/orlon "tafredda" slip
drk brown corde' purse

new but Vintage-inspired pieces:
Anne Klein fuschia silk blouse
pink above elbow gloves
Miriam Haskell pearl cuff
Playtex 18 hr bra
Flexees all in one undergarment
Rago Shapette high waist long leg girdle
Ralph Lauren lt. brown tweed wool skirt
seamed stockings from girdlebound.com
Me too! drk brown shoes
362040841.jpg
362040833.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
Laura, I completely agree with Paisley- take a look at your own avatar pic sweetie- you are gorgeous with your natural black hair and lovely pale complexion! Why color it?? Both reds are wrong for your hair, the orange- red isn't your color, and the deep red is too strong, harsh and brassy looking for your beautiful delicate complexion. The darker shade might work possibly a blouse or in small doses as contrast trim, but please not on your hair.

[...]

The best kind of vintage or vintage-inspired personal shopper, (friends/buddies are always biased-not worth the strain it could cause on the relationship) is someone that is your season.

This is very sound advice! I have a friend (she's also on the lounge, but not active) who I believe also is a winter. She's also had her red in a too orange red and it looks much better dark brown, although she looks so amazing, that not even a less than perfect color hair can change it any bit. Have to go shopping with her, then! :) That's a good idea.

About my hair, I've decided to go back to my natural dark brown/almost black color (as you see in my avatar). I haven't colored it red for a while, but the red is so difficult to get out of the hair, even when I color it dark brown. Guess I just have to let it grow out.

So does this mean that red isn't good on me at all, as a clothing color, or do you think that certain shades of blue red would be good? I've experienced that red does suit me, but definitely not the orange-reds. I'm wearing red here (don't mind my lipstick here, obviously the wrong choice with that blouse but I never think about coordinating makeup and clothing) and here.

Mary

Practically Family
You're good!!

I'll have to do this. My mum actually thinks I'm a winter cause I got a purple coat that suits me. I'll post pics and get some advice.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Too much fun... The 40s were all about color!

Changing your hair color doesn't change what season one is, or what colors look better on one. A good test is if the lipstick you normally wear needs to be changed to accomodate the outfit or hair color, its not the best one for you. I have one basic set of makeup that goes with everything I wear. My three fave lipsticks can work with all I have- a coral/peach, a watermelon/pink, and my fave for 40s- an strong orange/red.

Dahrling- I've seen your wonderful pics on FL you are a beautiful Winter- don't go red dear! Some deep blue-red (think chinese lacquer red) clothing items would be fabulous on you!

Mary - do post pics! Based on your very small and lovely avatar pic, you are probably a Summer- but a larger pic is helpful to make the final call. Is your hair ash blonde or golden blonde? If you freckle are they light brown or drk brown? From the little avatar pic you look good in that blue sweater. Your coloring is more delicate, the purple could be a little strong- do show a photo of your wearing it! How do you look in lavendar or a soft violet for example?

Laura, your sweater is beautiful, it looks very bittersweet deep orange red (think Campbell's tomato soup made with milk orange-red). Is this the case?? The friend in your pic might look good in it. You are right, a blue-red is definitely better for you.

Mary said:
You're good!!

I'll have to do this. My mum actually thinks I'm a winter cause I got a purple coat that suits me. I'll post pics and get some advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80