Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

Miss Sis

One Too Many
A shade of orange would look good with aubergine and sounds like you could wear it with your colouring.

Yellow would be a good contrast to the green belt. I can't wear any shade of yellow - makes me look like I have jaudice! Or again, rust or orange would also be good.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm in love with bright colors, it really livens up my pale coloring and looks good with my black hair. I never even bother with looking at black clothing (except for the ubiquitous band t-shirt, but obviously that's not vintage), and only own 1 black reproduction dress. I tend to stay away from grey and burgandy as well, as they do nothing for my complexion. I also tend to stay away from pink.

My favorite colors are yellows, greens and purples. I love reds too, but since I always wear bright red lipstick I feel I look a little TOO red sometimes! I love chocolate brown as well, but mostly as an accent color. I have a gorgeous robin egg blue dress with brown velvet collar and cuffs and it's absolutely divine.

For casual tops I feel you can never go wrong with a plaid! I have all sorts of western tops and plaid shirts, it's more of a rockabilly look, but when all I feel like wearing is a pair of jeans it's a great way to be casual but still look vintage. They are also super easy to find at thrift stores. My whole dresser is pretty much full of plaid tops!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I'm like you Mo. I do have quite a few black dresses and I really think no more! I do have a stunning pink dress with white polka dots that draws quite a bit of attention. I need to add more color to my wardrobe. No more black!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
There are quite a few color combinations that I like to wear, and as long as I select at least one saturated color (or adjust my makeup accordingly) I find that a lot of choices work well for me, including:
Red and Navy Blue
Jadeite green and red
Chocolate brown with pink, aqua, blue, or green
Pink and green (aqua, jadeite, and kelly especially)
Yellow and black or navy
Aubergine with green
Rust and green (aqua and hunter especially)
Certain blues with green (right now I am wearing a navy blue dress with olive green shoes)
Gray with burgundy or red tones
Taupe shades with deeper tones of brown or brighter colors for interest

With patterned dresses, I like to pick on color from the dress, and use it in my accessories--belt, shoes, hat, purse, and jewelry, to make that color 'pop.'

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Look what I bought today!

20797685_l.jpg

I know you can't see in the pic but the fabric is actually yellow with white polka dots!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I wear a lot of green.

So I loooove: Dark moss with rose. Dark moss with creamy light yellow, though unfortunately I can't wear yellow as well as some. Pretty much any green and black, including the stronger greens like kelly. Green with gray.

I also like to wear red or tangerine and dark grays. Navy can work but I've never grown fond of blues so I don't tend to wear it much.

Brights, yay! Pastels...I can't work pastels at all. I don't look good in any brown but a very dark one, like dark chocolate or espresso.

I look monstrous in purple, which is a shame. :( (<---see, I look like a depressed eggplant!)

-Viola

Laura Chase

One Too Many
What a great thread! I love chocolate brown with pink and chocolate brown with green and chocolate brown with just about any chromatic color.

But honestly, I have no idea what colors actually look good on me. I just wear what I think looks good together and what I feel comfortable in. My mother thinks red is stunning on me, but that's pretty much one of the only comments I've recieved about a specific color I've worn. When I had very red hair, my eyes looked very green, which of course makes sense since these are contrasting colors, so I guess red brings out my eyes.

I have dark brown hair which is dyed henna, so it has a red sheen, and my eyes are hazel with spots of green. I'm not sure about my skin tone. I believe I have olive undertones (I'm from the Mediterranean), but I'm quite fair skinned at the same time. In theory, which colors would look good on me? The internet gives me a plethora of different, inconsistent answers so I'm somewhat confused. lol

Elaina

One Too Many
I just made a melon-pink velvet shirt, and probably will pair it with black, grey or cream. Not much to do with it, I have to say.

On the same token, I just made my son lime green velvet pants, that he's wearing with a blue shirt. HIS colors are awlays off.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Laura, it sounds like warm colours would suit you, especailly if you tend to wear alot of brown.

My mother has dark hair, quite pale skin and brown eyes and she looks great in Autumn colours but also in red and shocking pink. You could try maroons, olive greens and rusts/orange and see what they do for you. Also try lighter warm colours.

Only by trying lots of things on will you be able to tell. Take your Mum with you - sounds like she'd be helpful!

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Hi Laura,

I think we have similar coloring. Except I have black hair (shot with white). My wardrobe is exceptionally black but I have gradually introduced color in the past few years. What works for me are vibrant, clear colors.

I would recommend taking pictures of yourself in different colors and I think you will see right off what complements you the best.

roselily

One of the Regulars
Color combinations?

Does anyone have a good source of what color combinations were typical of the era?

For instance, I'm going to be wearing a light blue evening frock. Now, it being fall and I like to mix things up, my modern self would probably wear eggplant or brown shoes and accessories. White shoes seem rather gauche (especially since it's well after labor day!)

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
roselily said:
Does anyone have a good source of what color combinations were typical of the era?

For instance, I'm going to be wearing a light blue evening frock. Now, it being fall and I like to mix things up, my modern self would probably wear eggplant or brown shoes and accessories. White shoes seem rather gauche (especially since it's well after labor day!)

Brown would be great. That was my first thought.

roselily

One of the Regulars
Well, I saw the gown last night. It's more of a seafoam than a true pale blue, so I think I'm going to go all mermaidy and wear my gold t-straps with it. If they still fit:eusa_doh:

I'm having a dillema with one my other dresses (it's white with a floral print). I'm trying to decide, do I match with white shoes, go neutral with tan shoes, or try to match the floral (green and rose flowers)? I'm not sure if the whiteness of the dress changes the rules about white-after-labor-day.

I also need to do non-white gloves. (long story why) And not black of course with the white dress. Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass