Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
roselily said:
I'm having a dillema with one my other dresses (it's white with a floral print). I'm trying to decide, do I match with white shoes, go neutral with tan shoes, or try to match the floral (green and rose flowers)? I'm not sure if the whiteness of the dress changes the rules about white-after-labor-day.

I also need to do non-white gloves. (long story why) And not black of course with the white dress. Any ideas?

Well you can match the flowers or go with black. There's nothing wrong with pairing black shoes and accessories with a white dress. Or you can try metallic.... I would steer away from neutral shoes with a white dress.

ShortClara

One Too Many
I started a chocolate dress with royal blue trim today - I'm very excited about it. I wanted to make a seasonless dress - and a light chocolate fits the bill!

I cannot wear yellow as a red-head, even though I love it. When I was blonde I could. I love reds of all kinds, and I love all bright colors - I'm not much for pastels most of the time.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dark green gloves?

roselily said:
I'm having a dillema with one my other dresses (it's white with a floral print). I'm trying to decide, do I match with white shoes, go neutral with tan shoes, or try to match the floral (green and rose flowers)? I'm not sure if the whiteness of the dress changes the rules about white-after-labor-day.

I also need to do non-white gloves. (long story why) And not black of course with the white dress. Any ideas?

If there are leaves and flowers in dark colors, could you go dark green on the gloves and shoes? You can dye white cotton gloves (the kind that are easy to find) with RIT dye on the stovetop, I have done it and it came out great. And dark green doesn't show the dirt much, so they wear well.

Maybe check bridal stores (or prom stores) for dyeable shoes and have them in the same shade?

roselily

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
If there are leaves and flowers in dark colors, could you go dark green on the gloves and shoes? You can dye white cotton gloves (the kind that are easy to find) with RIT dye on the stovetop, I have done it and it came out great. And dark green doesn't show the dirt much, so they wear well.

Maybe check bridal stores (or prom stores) for dyeable shoes and have them in the same shade?

I found a pair of wine shoes that match the darker flower petals- I'm still working on the gloves (and slip)- I tried dying them wine to match but they came out lavender!

Josephine

One Too Many
I have a pale tan/cream colored coat with a light brown fur collar and 3/4 sleeves. I want to get a fur hat, a muff, and long leather gloves.

I'm trying to match, as well as I can, the hat to the collar, but the one I'm looking at is basically a ring of fur with a dark brown velvet top. The muff will likely be a little darker than the collar and hat, and the gloves I'm looking at (auction ends in 1 hr 45 min!) are a dark brown leather. I'm also looking at another pair of gloves that are a lighter chocolate brown, about an inch longer and (at the moment) $10.00 more expensive with one bid.

Would dark brown leather gloves look odd with a pale tan coat with light brown fur?

Edit: ok, I went and got the coat to take a better look at it, reinforcing the fact that you should have something in front of you before you try to match it. The coat color is a more taupe than cream, the sleeves are not 3/4, and the fur is darker than I remembered. Oy. @@

But the question is still out there. :D

Lillemor

One Too Many
I usually stay within the black theme.

I like the bottom and top to match but I'm not a hat wearer yet so footwear has to match my hair and the footwear, handbag and coat/jacket has to match in some way too. I'm actually trying to work more colors into my outdoor garments wardrobe.

For Spring/Summer, I try to wear light nearly white neutrals and green as well. Fx. black, rosy pink or white shoes/sandals with ivory coat and ivory handbag w/green/rosy pink print. Green jacket with black shoes and green handbag. I'd like to work red and navy into my shoe and handbag collection and with time I'd like a navy winter coat and red summer jacket/coat.

For Fall/Winter it's just all black.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Paisley drew my attention to this thread again, it's such a great one so I'm happy Lady Day bumped it!

I must admit, I'm still at a loss when it comes to colors! In my earlier post in this thread, it came off as though I wear a lot of brown - I don't and I don't think it suits me that well, but I'm not sure at all. But then again, there are many shades of brown.

Black, however, looks smashing on me (I think, otherwise I wouldn't love wearing it so much, right?) and it's my favorite "color" (go figure, since I have no idea about what colors look good on me!). Some think it's dull, but in my opinion, black is just cool, classic, elegant, all in one.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I agree, black looks good on you in your avatar.

Which colors do you get the most compliments on when you wear them?

I think these might be good colors for you:

1fac1e920.jpg

See also http://trepanrr.tripod.com/tonal_color_palettes.htm#cool_winter

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I was confused by that site. I saw so many of the same options (in my case, pale pink-toned skin and green eyes) in so many categories I got rather rattled.

I don't know what the difference between pink, ruddy, rosy, and peach-pink are either. The site looks like it could be cool, but I don't understand it.

I'll have to post pics of me later, or something. [huh]

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Paisley, thank you so much for helping. :) I'm just guessing here, let me know what you think:

My mom's always told me red looked good on me. I've receive compliments when wearing this green blouse. Looking at the chart you posted, I'm (finally!) quite certain you are right in that I'm a winter and cool.

However, I find that certain of the colors on the chart do not look good on me, for example the icy blue and pink. I don't know, it might be that it's just my screen, but they look too pastel, too soft. Is the pink I'm wearing here a cool pink? I think so. How does that color look on me? I also know that I have to be careful with taupe. In general, I think I'm bets in black and strong jewel colors.

Also, I took a look at the site you recommended in the other thread and I can't quite figure out if I'm Winter I, II or III. I'm leaning towards III, when I look at the color palette and thinking about what colors I've been complimented on. It's been those reds, blues and greens, the ones on the Winter III palette:

d4662810.png

I also realized that I must definitely be a cool, looking at what types of red color hair have suited me, and the times I've colored my hair a tad too orange red, it didn't look that good, whereas a darker, cooler red tends to look good.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Viola said:
I was confused by that site. I saw so many of the same options (in my case, pale pink-toned skin and green eyes) in so many categories I got rather rattled.

I don't know what the difference between pink, ruddy, rosy, and peach-pink are either. The site looks like it could be cool, but I don't understand it.

I'll have to post pics of me later, or something. [huh]

Viola, I felt the same way when I first saw this site. I usually get so frustrated by those "Find your season"-things, but this time I took the bull by the horns.

What I did was I copy/pasted the entire thing into a text document and then I removed all the options I definitely was not (for example blond, red-haired, blue eyed, dark skinned). That way I eliminated summer and spring. Then I took a look at the color palettes they recommended, and I could see that black was not on the autumn palette. Since I know black looks good on me, I could eliminate autumn too, so was left with Winter I, II and III. Then I asked a friend of mine who I know is the same coloring as me, and who has a better idea of what colors suit her. She agreed! :)

Hope this helps!

miss_elise said:
questions:
should I be going with what my natural palette is or what my current palette is?

if you have black hair are you basically a winter?

This is a good question. I went forward after my natural palette.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
miss_elise said:
questions:
should I be going with what my natural palette is or what my current palette is?

if you have black hair are you basically a winter?
The first thing you go with this system is your skin undertone--are you pinkish/bluish or ivory/yellowish?
You are supposed to go with your natural palette. If you have dyed your hair, then you need to cover it with a (not too stark) white scarf when you are testing the colors against your skin.
And no, not all black haired people are winter because even black have undertones where hair color is concerned. If your hair is raven black--a bluish hue, then you are likely Winter or Summer depending on your skin tone, if it has red undertones (like me) then you are likely either Spring or Fall, depending on your skin tone. Some are fall, others spring, I think summer has the least number of black haired people.
Neither are people of particular ethinicities and prevalent skin colors all in the same group, though with the darker skin tones, it's sometimes difficult to judge.
Other factors like eye color will further diversify within the seasons.

A simple test of whether you are in the Winter/Summer group or the Spring/Fall group is which jewelry suits you better--silver or gold. If you find you tend to choose silver jewelry because they aren't gawdy against your skin, then you likely are Winter/Summer, while if you choose gold for the same reasons, then you probably are Spring/Fall.
Another good test is, do you look *dead* with pink lipstick or with orange lipstick? If the former, then you most likely are Fall/Spring, with lighter orange suitng better, then likely spring, and darker orange Fall. If the latter, then either Winter or Summer with stroger pink pointing to Winter and lighter pink to Summer.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
Paisley, thank you so much for helping. :) I'm just guessing here, let me know what you think:

My mom's always told me red looked good on me. I've receive compliments when wearing this green blouse. Looking at the chart you posted, I'm (finally!) quite certain you are right in that I'm a winter and cool.

However, I find that certain of the colors on the chart do not look good on me, for example the icy blue and pink. I don't know, it might be that it's just my screen, but they look too pastel, too soft. Is the pink I'm wearing here a cool pink? I think so. How does that color look on me? I also know that I have to be careful with taupe. In general, I think I'm bets in black and strong jewel colors.

I couldn't tell, either, which winter you were. I would trust the colors you've chosen (the swatches) over what I posted, though.

The green blouse does look good on you. Yes, the pink is a cool pink: it's closer to lilac than orange. It looks good on you, although it might not be the very best color for you.

As for skirts and pants, some good colors to match your tops would be very dark brown (to go with deep pink, red and green), navy (to go with white, if that's a good color for you), black and gray (to go with most jewel colors).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
Viola, I felt the same way when I first saw this site. I usually get so frustrated by those "Find your season"-things, but this time I took the bull by the horns.

What I did was I copy/pasted the entire thing into a text document and then I removed all the options I definitely was not (for example blond, red-haired, blue eyed, dark skinned). That way I eliminated summer and spring. Then I took a look at the color palettes they recommended, and I could see that black was not on the autumn palette. Since I know black looks good on me, I could eliminate autumn too, so was left with Winter I, II and III. Then I asked a friend of mine who I know is the same coloring as me, and who has a better idea of what colors suit her. She agreed! :)

Hope this helps!

It really really does, thank you so much. I made a lot of headway with this technique. Now I'm just realizing I have the skin/eyes more like a Summer and the hair more like an Autumn.

I have Cool skin and Warm hair. lol I think that is why I was getting confused and originally seemed to be showing up a little (never in everything) in every season.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Try looking at yourself in bright sunlight. In dim lighting, my hair looks like it's anything from brown to red. (It's dark ash blond.)

Consider what colors people compliment you on, too. That's always a good clue.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Viola said:
It really really does, thank you so much. I made a lot of headway with this technique. Now I'm just realizing I have the skin/eyes more like a Summer and the hair more like an Autumn.

I have Cool skin and Warm hair. lol I think that is why I was getting confused and originally seemed to be showing up a little (never in everything) in every season.

:eek:fftopic: Is there another thread about this subject that our posts can be moved to?

Are you going after your natural or dyed hair color?

Paisley, would you usually dye your hair a cool shade if your skin is cool, or is it possible to get the best out of your coloring with warm color hair if you have cool skin? I find that on me, it's best with a cool shade, but I remember that kamikat (I believe, apologize if I'm mistaken) wrote in another thread that it would balance off cool/warm skin to have hair in a contrasting color, that is cool skin and warm hair and warm skin and cool hair.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Yes, Laura you're a Winter, Paisley- looks like you are a Summer

I'm a SPRING, so is my DH, and our DD Sarah. DS Daniel is a Summer. I've been following the guidelines in the original book Color Me Beautiful for all these years- and her other book Color For Men too. I can say just two words about the "seasonal color theory", it works. What we base from for all of our clothes, even our house and gardens are in the Spring and Summer palettes!:) Don't believe me, check out this album on my Picture Trail:
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/16374882

At one time I even considered becoming a CMB consultant- and also a Tea Room owner! Knowing my colors and those of the family has been enormously helpful in looking for vintage clothing and accessories, and modern clothes. Saves me tons of time I'd waste looking at things that aren't going to look good on us, no matter how wonderful the style is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass