Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

SayCici

Practically Family
crazydaisy, I actually prefer the last pink slip. In the pictures where you are wearing the peach one, it seems to just blend in with your skin tone instead of making you 'pop' or look radiant. But with the pink, your skin, eyes, and lips all look bright and jump out at me.

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
Okay... Off the cuff I'd say you may well be a warm season- possibly an Autumn, maybe a bright Spring. Your skin tone looks golden to me. Your eyes look aqua or turquoise even.

Let's ask some preliminary questions. Hair color as a kid? Do you tan? No pinky cheek color naturally (don't see that here in this photo)? Are your lips naturally a peachy pink shade as they appear in this pic?

Does burgundy make you look washed out, but a tomatoe red looks good on you? How about bright yellow, kelly green, or a army green? This little top you have on here looks like an orange-red color to me.

This thread is quite popular! So now that it has gone a few more pages....
Q1 - My hair color was deep honey-blonde.
Q2 - I do tan, and I tan that sort of california-girl gold.
Q3 - My cheeks only blush when I'm embarrassed/warm/sick, etc. They are pinky-peach when they do.
Q4 - My lips are that color, maybe with a touch more pink.
Q5 - Yes.
Yellow, army green, and kelly green go well on me.
My eyes are actually more a oceany grey-blue, I think it was the carrot-orange shirt affecting them.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Crazydaisy, it may just be the light in the shot, or I may just be mad as a hatter, but have you tried it with a champagne or bronze slip? A brown with a good metallic sheen to it won't be too somber, and I think it might make it read as deeper, killing the orange a little and giving your skin more contrast, just generally being easier to wear. Don't do gray! Do brown! (Generally I adore gray but I just don't see it suiting you or that dress either)

I'm not sure whether it should be a light brown or dark brown though. I want more pics of this dress. It is lovely. It doesn't look like a curtain!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Ha ha! Yes, I just realised and deleted the post from 'Ben'!

Here's what I wrote:

Crazy Daisy, I agree the peach slip seems a bit pale for you but the lighting isn't great in the photos. If you are an Autumn, then a contrasting slip in a brown shade might be really nice. I have a peach knit suit that I usually wear a deep brown slip with to give it a bit more oomph. Pale Autumns of which I am one and I would say you are too, tend to get a bit washed out with too pale shades.

Also, I actually rather like the green underneath, but I'd go for a warmer spring green rather than a mint - a real 30s colour combo. To me that would be a nice summery look, with the brown more for Autumn or Winter. I find it's good to be able to change the look of an outfit by changing the accessories for maximum versatility.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Thank you ladies for your great input, you all made very good points and there's a lot of food for thought. I feel that it will be a long quest to get the right slip/s. I'll keep you posted.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the link Inky, it's very interesting!

I have a color matching question regarding furs. I was thinking of purchasing a faux fur wrap and I was thinking about which color would match the most outfits.

Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but I'm actually not very good with matching colors.:eek: Could you wear a white fur with any color combination? Would it match to wear a dark brown fur with a black outfit? My overall question is what color furs match with different colored outfits? Are there any definite 'do not wear this color fur with this color outfit'?

Louise Anne

Suspended
If any one could decide what colouring I am
(Slightly heavier more evening on the left, modern/ daytime look right)

Image12-1.jpg

I will be your freind for life maybe you you would not want that:D
Thank you Paul

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Paul, it's somewhat difficult to tell your eye color. Are they blue or green? Also, what is your natural haircolor?

Bitsy

New in Town
I figured this would be the appropriate thread for a question I have. I don't have very many vintage pieces, but I want to be able to put together an outfit from my limited selection. I recently purchased a pink wool dress and the only vintage sweater I have is from a dead stock 50s Orlon sweater set. Brand is Blue Bird. (Is that a known brand?) I usually would never mix pinks but I think this may be ok--the dress is a dark pink, almost more watermelon. The sweater is a baby pink. I can't post photos until I get my post count up, but does anyone have thoughts on mixing pinks in general? What about in the 50s?

Thanks so much.

SayCici

Practically Family
I don't think there is anything wrong with mixing shades of pink or any other color, but they should be in the same tone or complement each other.

Seeing your items in person or a good picture might make a difference, but just from the sound of it, I don't think a watermelon color and a soft, light baby pink would go together.

Louise Anne

Suspended
kamikat said:
Paul, it's somewhat difficult to tell your eye color. Are they blue or green? Also, what is your natural haircolor?

Untitled-1.jpg

Here a head shot taken when practicing with makup (liquid eye liner) sothe foundation is very patchy,
My natural har shade is showing at the sides and my eyes are a green toward grey I think I really bad with colours, Pink lipstick is a new area for me this year, for some reson , i do think red's and black clothes suite me the best maybe I wrong over that also, Colours are so confussiong for me!

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Paul said:
Colours are so confussiong for me![/QUOTE]
This system has to be checked without makeup on. Not just your natural hair and eye color, but the most important color is your natural skin tone. If you have the wrong color foundation and makeup on--by which I mean, colors that do not enhance your natural colors, but rather, clash with them-- the result of the color analysis will be askew.
You need to check
1) under natural light, but not direct sunlight.
2) without any make up.
Under the above conditions, check whether a camel/gold scarf or gray/silver scarf lights up your face/make your face look younger. If it's the former, your skin has a yellow undertone, if the latter, your skin has a blue undertone.
Yellow undertone= spring/autumn
Blue undertone=summer/winter.
The *subdivisions* within these groups are determined by your hair and eye color.
Paisley, chanteuseCary and a few others are very good at the actual analysis, but the theory behind this system is the above.

I agree with Paisley, though, that you most likely are cool summer, judging from the skin tone of your palm (which would have no foundation on), your eye color, and hair.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Question on coloring

Hi All,

I posted in another part of the lounge asking about what colors of suits match my face and a few other quirks of my physic.

Ok, so here is the deal: I'm running out of hair. Or, perhaps, my hair is running out on me. Either way, my hair and I have decided we are splitsville. Maybe I should have sent flowers this past Valentines day, but whatever, the past is the past and my hair and I must look to our respective futures.

Additionally, I've gained about 40 pounds over the last seven months. I broke my fifth metatarsal in my right foot while in Iraq, and the stupid army didn't let me do ANYTHING physical. I spent most of my time there being a PowerPoint ranger. Needless to say, at 41, I packed on the weight eating excessively over-calorieized (just made that word up) food designed for 18 to 22 year olds doing real army stuff.

So, I've become a little tubby around the middle.

So my question is, what colors go with a balding guy (missing the hair in the middle) with blond hair in a ring around the rest of my head? Also, I have blue eyes, and my completion is rather fair. I burn easy (I go in for Basal Cell removal on Monday).

Also, what about suite cut? I like the mid 1950's type stuff, but I also really like the "classic" stuff from 1930 to about 1948 or 49. Those suites look a little more baggy/loose/comfortable to me, and after 3 years of wearing baggy fatigues, and the excess pounds, baggy or loose fitting is looking really good to me right now. I want to look good, but comfort is also important.

I've looked on Google under "bald guys in suites" but there are not any webpages that have examples of this.

WHY ARE THERE NO BALD, TUBBY, BLOND MODELS OUT THERE? Never mind, you don't have to answer that.

Ok, so I couldn't figure out how to upload pictures of myself, so I put some up on my Facebook. All the army pics were taken before I went to Iraq.

Ok, I'm new to Facebook too, so I hope this works:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2802&id=100000781072479&saved#!/?sk=nf

Any help would be great guys!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
SayCici said:
crazydaisy, I actually prefer the last pink slip. In the pictures where you are wearing the peach one, it seems to just blend in with your skin tone instead of making you 'pop' or look radiant. But with the pink, your skin, eyes, and lips all look bright and jump out at me.

I totally agree with Cici here, the two first slips matched the dress better, but the coral one matches you better. :)

Inky said:
Ladies,

Here is some new info on that whole winter/summer/spring/fall color issue boiled down to two categories - Warm and Cool.

How to check what you are:

http://www.thechicfashionista.com/gold-or-silver-color-analysis.html

I am hands down a cool (winter)

I can't get enough of this season-theory! :) I kind of think I'm a cool-ish neutral, because I can wear most colors, really. The only color I simply can't wear is camel/beige! It's so yuck on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner