Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing color combinations

LaMedicine

One Too Many
SlyGI said:
Ok, so I put some pictures up in a Picasa web album. I will try a link and an imbed!

Link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/solomon.brian/SolomonHatPicture?feat=directlink

There maybe some other pictures in there so feel free to browse. In some I'm bald because I shaved my head after my first Basal Cell surgery.
Paisley would know better, but at a glance, you look like a Summer person.
There are pics of the summer palette in the previous page.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Summer. Our coloring is just about alike: pinkish skin, blond hair, gray-blue eyes. My best colors are white, chocolate brown, gray, most shades of blue, and cool red. (I also look good in lavender and pink, but I'm not sure if you were looking to wear those.) Yellows and oranges are out; if you must wear them, do so only as accent colors away from your face (pocket square?). Be careful with brown: it has to be a cool brown, not reddish or orangey. Certain shades of green are OK, but a man's suiting green color wouldn't really suit either of us.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I am loving these colors! I hope to find eventually vintage pieces to put together an outfit along this color scheme. Some 30's sport/casual wear type of outfit would warm my heart...Maybe if I keep obsessing about it it will come my way...
4451202940_e35ea1481e_b.jpg

4451202934_f917020fa8_b.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Daisy, I think I can safely say now I've seen you in these colours that you are indeed an Autumn! The muted colours are lovely on you.

Your colouring is almost exactly like mine, but my hair is not quite as dark as yours. Shame, as I'd love to be a brunette. :)

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Thanks Miss Sis, I guess it's all about trying to embrace what I am, and if that has to be an Autumn, than Autumn shall be ;).

Lillemor

One Too Many
Keep obsessing crazydaisy. I have a jacket in the same color that I feel looks OTT with the matching skirt (boxy strolling suit) but perhaps if I team it with pants and wear some knits under it, it'll look less formal and fit better in to my rural setting. Thanks. you just gave me an idea. I don't have knit chemises but knit slip overs and I usually wear them conventionally with shirt or blouse and a skirt. It looks like your shoes/boots are similar to my footwear except mine's all black because I lack in originality and imagination.:eek:

I've been wearing the light strolling skirt with grey and pink/fucshia/purple because I have to be careful with muted, ruddy, rusty, and dusty colors which I don't feel look right in excess on me.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
In summer I am always a sucker for pale green and pink together - it looks so fresh, like apple blossom! That's the only slightly unusual colour combination that I wear - I love purple and turquoise together, but I only wear those sorts of colours for dancing.

zendy

A-List Customer
Puzzicato said:
I love purple and turquoise together, but I only wear those sorts of colours for dancing.

I do too, but you gotta be careful to not look like a batman villain lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
In summer I am always a sucker for pale green and pink together - it looks so fresh, like apple blossom! That's the only slightly unusual colour combination that I wear - I love purple and turquoise together, but I only wear those sorts of colours for dancing.

Yes, I think I said early on in this thread, I love those colours together! That and Pale Green and Peach. Very 1930s. Yum, yum.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
This reminds me.
There is a very specific series of color combinations for kimonos--less for the kosode types that is the direct ancestor of present day kimono, but for the very traditional Heian era (10-12C) costume, generally called kuge shozoku or nyobo shozoku --called Kasane no Irome, meaning colors of layers. The color combinations were given names of flowers and plants, and which combo should be worn in which season, was strictly defined, with wearing color combos not in season being considered unsophisticated and not in good taste. If any of you have ever studied classic Japanese literature, and are familiar with The Tale of Genji, then you would have read discriptions of choosing and arranging costumes to present to the ladies, giving consideration to the appropriate color combination.
When coordinating kimonos and all the accessories they entail, if we are at a loss with what colors to coordinate, we are often told to use these traditional combination as points of reference.

There are two groups of Kasane, the first being two or three colors layered one over another. Since the fabrics were light silk, the color of the inner layer shadows the top layer resulting in subtle nuances.
The second group was for the nyobo shozoku, the most formal known as junihitoe, twelve layers. With this costume, rather than the outer color being influenced by the inner color, the effect was to have tasteful color gradation on the open end of the layered sleeves and the hemline.

The following links to a page of kasane colors of the first group. The colors on the right within the frame is the top color, the left the inner color, and the middle, the resulting effect. Sorry the text is in Japanese, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the colors.
Kasane no Irome (1)
Kasane no Irome (2) (scroll down)

The following links to the second group of kasane colors.
The color on the right is the topmost layer, and grades down to the left to the color of the innermost garment.
Kasane no Irome (3)
Kasane no Irome (4) (scroll down a bit)

zendy

A-List Customer
LaMedicine
This is fascinating! I love some of the schemes, especially in the second link.

de-stressed

New in Town
In need of some advice...

I'm not sure if I'm in the right thread for this or not, so mods please feel free to move if needed.

I recently colored my hair and changed it from a sandy blonde to what was suppose to be brunette. However, the Irish came out in me and my hair color is now auburn. It's not what I wanted but I'm trying to work with it.

Here's my problem: The clothes that were brighter in color I don't think work for me anymore. The greens and teals are just not working. I can't even look at anything red because I think it will completely be wrong with my hair color. Am I off base thinking this? I'm just trying to get a handle on this new look. Nothing seems to be working quite right.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I had the same problem many years ago when I dyed my dark blonde hair auburn (on purpose).

I got tired of it quite quickly as it seemed the only colours I could wear were green and navy! I'm an Autumn, so I didn't expect that to happen. Brown wasn't at all fashionable then, so I didn't go there but I remember I had a mustard top that looked really nice before and just awful afterwards! Anything in the pink/red/ornage shades clashed terribly.

Can you try toning down colours that looked good before? You haven't mentioned what 'season' you are.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
LA MEDECINE, thank you for posting that, very interesting indeed, this is one of the things i love about the FL, i am constantly learning about things that would probably never have entered my sphere of influence before, oh, and the colours are lovely. x:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner