Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CLOVERFIELD (1-18-08)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it does turn out to be "just" a giant monster movie, I'm going to be disappointed.

Unless it is shot in actual real time there is no way to make me suspend my disbelief. Physics is physics, anything flesh and blood without "magical powers", no matter its origin, can't last more than 10 minutes (at best, including time to acquire target and start the run in from the IP) against modern military hardware once it is on site.

So 30 minutes or so to alert and scramble, 10 minutes of blowing it to pieces /immolating it (generous) and then 5 minutes of biohazard clean-up/decon montage with cheesy '80s rock score. (And hopefully celebratory barbeque scenes :D )

A story I enjoyed, which I think inspired the film "Cast a Deadly Spell", ended with the giant amorphous eldritch blob creature being led to a refinery, whereupon the hero shoots a simple bazooka at the tanks and burns it up. It an't elegant, but it certainly reflects "reality".

Jerekson

One Too Many
I've done a bit of research into the movie (you'd be surprised how easily leakage takes place nowadays) and it is a monster movie. It's about a couple of people who are, essentially, running from something they don't know anything about - and eventually we learn it's some sort of massive monster.

I was quite excited when I heard theories about a mutated whale -

slushoRar.jpg

But now that the movie has been released (today) I've seen some bootlegged footage of the monster.

Let me be the first to say it is very, very dissapointing.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
My review

My thoughts aren't like the others on this board. So if you'd like my review from someone who actually saw the flick read on:

I went to an advance screening of Cloverfield last night. And I'm going to try to do this with

*No Spoilers*

If you're not doing anything this weekend get your derriere to a movie theater actually purchase tickets to see Cloverfield unless you have motion sickness then do not see Cloverfield. This movie is shot first person shooter with the idiot friend holding the camera. This type of filming, in this moviegoers experience, makes what you see more believable. Or what you don't see for that matter. It's said that this movie was not about the monster but the people who try to survive its attack. I don't know about you but I was more interested in the monster. The few glimpses we see of this thing (and I say thing because there is truly nothing like in on your local video store's shelves) are frightening. You really feel like this creature in in your backyard stomping on all your toys. But wait that's not the scariest part. What's scarier than the monster itself is the creatures that fall off the monster. You might think of them like parasites. I searched around last night and found some pictures of the things. The pictures are valid meaning they are the same things you see in the movie. Beware though there are a lot of fake pictures floating around there. Sadly, for some viewers, the creature isn't a whale monster. I would describe it to you but I can't because as I said earlier it's not like anything out there. Also on the internet are pictures of the monster's face in the clouds and smoke. You can find these on the movie posters. This silhouette like image is fairly accurate for being what it is. I do hope actual screen caps of the monster make it onto the internet. I think it would be freaky to see it paused. What makes this flick so scary is that you can believe that it's real. I went with friends Louis and Viv. Viv was sitting next to me her reactions were fun to watch. I mean she told them NOT to turn on the night vision. And believe me I was right there jumping with her at times. I know this was purposeful but the only complaint I had was the cameraman, Hud. I kept telling him to just turn the camera slightly so I could see the freaky monster! If you have 90 minutes (yes this movie is less than 90 minutes) get your derriere to the theater and experience Cloverfield for yourself. You won't regret being truly scared by a movie for once.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From the AICN review, it's a Jerry Bruckheimer-type movie, but instead of the camera following the 1% heroes who run toward the monster, its about the 99% who sensibly run away from the damn thing.

And, as posted above, the monster is a true, innovative, Lovecraftian-looking horror and the ending is in doubt.

I won't cast my vote until I see it, but it just may be that Abrams and Co. pulled it off.

Here's hoping. :cheers1:

RIOT

Practically Family
I guess I would be in that 1% trying to stop it's advance.. it's the rush! can't deny it!

Anyway, I can't wait to see it tonight. Thanks for the *No Spoilers* review, Pink.

kiltie

Practically Family
This AM

I didn't realise there was a thread on this...I saw this stinker last night/this morning ( see "Last movie..." thread ). It has a lot of cool ideas, kind of a "The Birds"-eque premise and execution, and good effects, but it just doesn't pan out very well. The sum is not equal to the parts. See it if you must, but, as Public Enemy said, "Don't believe the hype...'

Story

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
its about the 99% who sensibly run away from the damn thing.

Brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!

RIOT said:
I guess I would be in that 1% trying to stop it's advance.. it's the rush! can't deny it!.

Oh sure, it's all a laughapalooza until something sucks your brains out through your ear canal. [huh]

RIOT

Practically Family
Story said:
Oh sure, it's all a laughapalooza until something sucks your brains out through your ear canal. [huh]

Yeah, that could sting in the morning. :rolleyes:

But, someone's got to stand up and fight somehow right? We can't all start running and hiding. :p

Doh!

One Too Many
Interesting experiment, but doesn't live up to the hype. (I felt the same way about Blair Witch.) The major problem I have with it is that I have zero interest in any of the characters. If they get killed along the way, no big loss. Come to think of it, that was Blair Witch's weakness as well.

There are some genuine scary moments in it, though, so overall I'd say it's worth seeing.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Jerekson said:
I've done a bit of research into the movie (you'd be surprised how easily leakage takes place nowadays) and it is a monster movie. It's about a couple of people who are, essentially, running from something they don't know anything about - and eventually we learn it's some sort of massive monster.

I was quite excited when I heard theories about a mutated whale -

slushoRar.jpg

But now that the movie has been released (today) I've seen some bootlegged footage of the monster.

Let me be the first to say it is very, very dissapointing.

I don't know why this creature would be any less disappointing than the one that actuially appears in the movie. The drawing above looks about as "scary" as Napolean Dynamite's Lyger.

*spoilers*

The movie has some major logic problems and the story is far too thin to be of any interest over and above the the run-away-and-try-not-to-die action. We have to believe that this one night stand of a few weeks earlier (the day the "creature" lands in the water off Coney Island) is enough to compel a man, his friends and someone who knows none of them very well into going towards the monster to save someone who may or may not already be dead. Hard to buy. If it was his brother, or his child or something... but of course the film has to skew to younger viewers. The hand-held camera gimmick gets in the way of the story telling more often than it works. Without the hype this would be a non-event.

Story

I'll Lock Up
'Cloverfield' Pulls Down Monster $41M
AP
Posted: 2008-01-20 13:46:30
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The creature-feature "Cloverfield" became the first monster hit released in 2008, debuting with $41 million, a record opening for January, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Dalexs

Practically Family
I'll be the first to say it, Don't wast your money, wait for the DVD.

For all of the anti-hype and publicity, I was expecting way more.
What I got was a $8 nap.
At least my 10yo and his buddy thoroughly enjoyed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner