Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Apple Annie

New in Town
I'm coming here from the OCM - I've done it for a few months now, and although it was great in the honeymoon period, and is still great on the areas of my face without acne(very small areas...), I think overall the condition of my skin has got slightly worse. Not knocking the OCM, just don't think it's for me.

Now as a Brit, I suppose my choices are the Boot's own brand and did I read that we could get Ponds over here?
I'm afraid I haven't quite finished reading this thread - it's very long! - so I expect I'm repeating a previous question when I ask, what do people think is better - Ponds or Boots? (apart from Boot's gorgeous packaging!)

Apple Annie

New in Town
Sorry for the double post - well anyway, I went a bit crazy with my pocket money in Boots, and I now have Pond's Cold Cream Cleanser - is this the right stuff? I wasn't sure if it was the same. Well, if it's not I also have the Boots Cold Cream in the gorgeous packaging, as well as the Boot's Traditional Skincare "Glycerin and Rosewater" and Moisturising Cream.
If the Pond's is the right stuff, I'll probably use that, if not I'll try the Boots.

What do people think of the "Gycerin and Rosewater"? Has anyone tried it?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Apple Annie said:
Sorry for the double post - well anyway, I went a bit crazy with my pocket money in Boots, and I now have Pond's Cold Cream Cleanser - is this the right stuff? I wasn't sure if it was the same. Well, if it's not I also have the Boots Cold Cream in the gorgeous packaging, as well as the Boot's Traditional Skincare "Glycerin and Rosewater" and Moisturising Cream.
If the Pond's is the right stuff, I'll probably use that, if not I'll try the Boots.

What do people think of the "Gycerin and Rosewater"? Has anyone tried it?

It gave me spots unfortunately. My very greasy skin likes the cold cream on its own, but I need to either leave it as it is, or finish off with a more astringent toner like witch hazel and a lighter moisturiser. The Rosewater toner leaves a film of glycerin on your skin, I think it was too much for mine.

Apple Annie

New in Town
Yes, it has a green and white box. I wonder why they put the "cleanser" at the end. I suppose non-vintage people, like me, wouldn't know what to do with it otherwise lol.

Oh dear, I don't think I'll use the rosewater and glycerin then. My face breaks out at the slightest provocation. I'll just use the Cold Cream on it's own then.

Thanks!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Apple Annie I love the rosewater and glycerin, and use it daily. Please don't throw it away! Send it to me instead ;) I can't buy it here in Sweden.

Apple Annie said:
Yes, it has a green and white box. I wonder why they put the "cleanser" at the end. I suppose non-vintage people, like me, wouldn't know what to do with it otherwise lol.

Oh dear, I don't think I'll use the rosewater and glycerin then. My face breaks out at the slightest provocation. I'll just use the Cold Cream on it's own then.

Thanks!

Apple Annie

New in Town
Sure, I'll send it to you if you want - it's only a couple of quid for posting, I don't mind. But I'm afraid you'll have to wait until I've made enough posts that you can PM me with your address:)

I'm in love with Cold Cream! My nose blackheads, which I've had since I was 12, have gone! I didn't even get to say goodbye! lol Well, not all of them, but a fair few of them. I'm so excited, I hope this works.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I can't use coldcream, I'm sensitive to it, unfortunately (rosacea). I like phisoderm, it's very gentle. At night I've been using Roc line cream, but I think it's a waste of money. It's too mild, I figure. It doesn't even irrtate my skin and the tiny lines are still the same, so I know there's not much to the junk.

Irish_Rin

New in Town
New here..BUT..

...okay first off, I'm out from lurker status and realized that I could jump in an reply at least on this topic.

My mom was born in 1930 and growing up all I can say is that she was the most beautiful woman ever. This was confirmed daily by all the attention she would get. She kept her beuaty routine simple. Cold cream, nivea, vaseline. My older sister that didn't follow her routine look so so much older. When shopping with my one sister and hitting the clinque counter I demure and pass on all the latest bio-engineered, rain forest blah blah and stick to my routine.

Ok.. awkward first post..but I'm here.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome Irish Rin!

Another cold cream gal!
Don't feel shy about posting, how else can you attain "One Too Many" status?
Don't forget to go to the "Hello New ladies of the Lounge" thread in the Powder Room and out up a picture so we can see your lovely skin!

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Lareesie Ladavi said:
I can't use coldcream, I'm sensitive to it, unfortunately (rosacea). I like phisoderm, it's very gentle. At night I've been using Roc line cream, but I think it's a waste of money. It's too mild, I figure. It doesn't even irrtate my skin and the tiny lines are still the same, so I know there's not much to the junk.

I too have mild rosaecea and I'm pretty sensitive to certain things (hence why I can't use the heavier cold cream). Instead, I use the Merle Norman line for rosaecea (Delicate Balance) and the cleanser is actually a light cream cleanser so I do a "modified" cold cream wash in that I spread the cleanser all over my face and let it set for a minute or two and gently wipe it off with either a warm towel like most of you ladies or 100% cotton pads if I do it at my bed. It works really well for me and it helps tone down my pink face :) I have turned a couple of ladies with sensitive and troubled skin to this method and they haven't turned back. If our grandmothers used this method faithfully, there has to be something beneficial about it :)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Irish_Rin said:
My mom was born in 1930 and growing up all I can say is that she was the most beautiful woman ever. This was confirmed daily by all the attention she would get. She kept her beuaty routine simple. Cold cream, nivea, vaseline.
I'm guessing she used the nivea as a face moisturizer, but what did she do with the vaseline? (Eyes? Lips? Let me know.)

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
RebeccaMUA said:
I too have mild rosaecea and I'm pretty sensitive to certain things (hence why I can't use the heavier cold cream). Instead, I use the Merle Norman line for rosaecea (Delicate Balance) and the cleanser is actually a light cream cleanser so I do a "modified" cold cream wash in that I spread the cleanser all over my face and let it set for a minute or two and gently wipe it off with either a warm towel like most of you ladies or 100% cotton pads if I do it at my bed. It works really well for me and it helps tone down my pink face :) I have turned a couple of ladies with sensitive and troubled skin to this method and they haven't turned back. If our grandmothers used this method faithfully, there has to be something beneficial about it :)

Yeah, my rosaecea is mild now too (meds in the past helped a lot). I don't embarrass easily, but when I do everyone knows! LOL! :eusa_doh:

I actually got a new perscription for Metrogel, but the phamacy was telling me that the metrogel company is having a hard time producing (maybe something to do with ingrediants), so I was thinking of trying this over-the-counter stuff, that they have out now. Is that what Delicate Balance is? Thanks for the 411! I will definately keep my eyes peeld for it!

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Lareesie Ladavi said:
Yeah, my rosaecea is mild now too (meds in the past helped a lot). I don't embarrass easily, but when I do everyone knows! LOL! :eusa_doh:

I actually got a new perscription for Metrogel, but the phamacy was telling me that the metrogel company is having a hard time producing (maybe something to do with ingrediants), so I was thinking of trying this over-the-counter stuff, that they have out now. Is that what Delicate Balance is? Thanks for the 411! I will definately keep my eyes peeld for it!

It's actually this line :http://merlenorman.com/SkinCare/sensitiveskin.html

And you can find the closest Merle to you at this page: http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?client=merlenorman&template=search

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Updated

Miss 1929 said:
Another cold cream gal!
Don't feel shy about posting, how else can you attain "One Too Many" status?
Don't forget to go to the "Hello New ladies of the Lounge" thread in the Powder Room and out up a picture so we can see your lovely skin!
Looks like I have achieved "Call me a cab" status... I'm officially an oldtimer now.

I seem to have issues with the regular cold cream and my eyelids. It is fine once in a while, but more than one day in a row and I have itch and swell. But, the Burt's Bee's Soapbark and Chamomile Cleansing Cream is now my new friend, it doesn't bother the eyes at all (in fact, has cooling monthol!) and I am getting clearer all the time.

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
I picked up a container of the Pond's Cool Cold Cream today. Just did the cold cream "cleanse" listed in this thread. WOW. My skin feels so soft. Didn't even need to use a moisturizer. Hopefully, this will continue working. I have typical redhead skin.. easily sensitive, easily blotchy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks ladies. So far, so good : )

sian kisses

One of the Regulars
I too have typical redhead skin, with the added red skin.
Used cold cream last night and I love it. an official convert nothing else will touch me now. Boots own brand>> and my skin feels so smooth and people at work said i look lovely.
yay for cold cream.

Kisses
x

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I haven't read this post in quite some time, so I apologize if this was mentioned before, but I am going through an Albolene phase for makeup remover, it's heavenly!!

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
Okay, I'm into this for one week straight.. My skin looks amazing.. my eyelids are not flakey, I don't need a moisturizer and no milia/whiteheads. And, if that's not enough, it's inexpensive and I can conveniently pick it up at the grocer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner