Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
sian kisses said:
I too have typical redhead skin, with the added red skin.
Used cold cream last night and I love it. an official convert nothing else will touch me now. Boots own brand>> and my skin feels so smooth and people at work said i look lovely.
yay for cold cream.

Kisses
x

Also, I love the look of the Boots jar.. unfortunately, I can't locate it here on the other side of the Pond...

olive bleu

One Too Many
well, i was a dedicated pond's user for a couple years, but gradually, i noticed my skin was becoming more and more sensitive and red.whether it is directly related to the pond's or not, i couldn't say. I have now switched to MARCELLE products, which, i understand is only available in Canada, and i am quite devoted to it.I have been using it for about 3 months and my skin looks and feels much better.It is not called "Cold cream", but i apply, let sit for a minute and tissue off.Lovely stuff if you can get it.developed in the 30's specifically for sensitive skin.I use the pink stuff:) The makeup is awesome, too!

http://www.marcelle.com/Produits/Soins-de-la-peau/Par-gamme/Essentiels.aspx

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
jitterbugdoll said:
Make sure you use the blue tin, and not the plastic containers where the product was made in Mexico. The blue tin contains the original formula, which is much better :)

The Burt's Bees cream is around $9, and I love it. Hasn't caused any irritation at all and is nice and smoothing (plus, it smells like bananas!)

I agree with Rebecca in that my skin completely turned around after I stopped stripping it with harsh products. I still wear foundation, but my skin is naturally quite pink and I like the finished look that makeup gives it.
I just got the little blue travel tin for 99 cents but it said that it was also made in Mexico. Do you think they meant that the tin itself was made in Mexico and the creme was made elsewhere? Because companies will do that and it threw me off a little.

On a side note, it works like a dream. My skin is so smooth to the touch and doesn't feel too oily.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I have no idea what is going on with my skin..

And I have a feeling it is hormonal caus it on my chin and forehead.. and NOTHING I am using it making it go away!

I still use the cold cream at nighyt to tak off my makeup.. and then a warm wash cloth.. and my face seems to really like that.. then I use my Jajoba oil.. like I have been for months.. and when I wake up.. it seems to be ok.. then the dreaded.. moisturizer... it makes it worse by the end of the day and its a daily cycle..

Anyone know what in the world is going on.. LOL I sure dont.. and I hate it.. I used to have glowing skin... I didnt change anything.. same diet.. same face cleaners.. all the same.. GRRRRRRRR :rage: :rage: I hate this... I need help!!!!! LOL

Ok.. enough rant..

I still love my cold cream :rolleyes:

Emer

One of the Regulars
Cold Cream Believer

I started using Ponds Cold Cream and I love it!! After reading this thread, I started using it at night to take off my make-up (haven't started using witch hazel yet though...) and I love the way my skin feels. And it smells divine! Reminds me of rose water. I'll usually rub it on, soak a washcloth in warm to hot water and then use the washcloth to exfoliate as I take it off. I can't believe how much make-up comes off! Plus it feels so much more gentle than scrubbing my face with a face soap.

I also wear contacts and thankfully haven't had an issue with it when I take off my eye make-up.

Emer

One of the Regulars
LelaViavonie said:
I have no idea what is going on with my skin..

And I have a feeling it is hormonal caus it on my chin and forehead.. and NOTHING I am using it making it go away!

I still use the cold cream at nighyt to tak off my makeup.. and then a warm wash cloth.. and my face seems to really like that.. then I use my Jajoba oil.. like I have been for months.. and when I wake up.. it seems to be ok.. then the dreaded.. moisturizer... it makes it worse by the end of the day and its a daily cycle..

Anyone know what in the world is going on.. LOL I sure dont.. and I hate it.. I used to have glowing skin... I didnt change anything.. same diet.. same face cleaners.. all the same.. GRRRRRRRR :rage: :rage: I hate this... I need help!!!!! LOL

Ok.. enough rant..

I still love my cold cream :rolleyes:

Lela, if it gets worse when you use your moisturizer your skin may have developed some sort of reaction to it. I remember reading that even if we use something for years with no problem, one morning our skin can go haywire because suddenly it's developed some type of sensitivity to our products. Plus, even though you might not have changed anything, the manufacturer could have. Maybe a small change from mineral oil to saffron oil or something (I don't know what types of oils they use in face lotions :eek:) and your skin just freaked out.

But if that's the place your skin starts to go bad, I'd change that first and work my way backwards.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I know this is an older thread, but I had to post!

I have been using Pond's cold cream, Thayer's witch hazel (Rose), and Nivea creme (just around my eyes). I used to spend hundreds on skincare (money I didn't have...it went on my <gulp> credit card).

Well, the other day, without makeup on I might add, my bf told me that I have been looking a lot younger (I already look kinda young...) and he wondered if I had been racking up the credit card debt again on online purchases for skincare. Heck NO!

While my skin is still trying to figure it all out (I've had some breakouts, I might switch to either the deep cleansing Pond's or switch my type of Thayer's to combat the small breakouts) I'm so excited THAT HE NOTICED A DIFFERENCE!!!

I'm sold on my vintage skincare routine!!! Just had to share!

I also started using Ponds cold cream. I pouted when I kept reading that Ponds smelled like roses and I thought "Mine doesn't smell like roses." Then I realized that I was using the cucumber one. So I switched. I was struck by how much thicker the regular Ponds is [and how much better it smelled!] But now my skin is throwing a fit: the skin above my eyes, my forehead, and my cheeks are actually drying out. I was able to use the cucumber Ponds without any additional moisturizer, so what gives? Is it too greasy? Does my skin just need time to adjust? Am I doomed to using the cucumber Ponds? Help!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I stopped using cold cream a while back, mostly out of laziness, but I think I may go back to it, as it really did help with blackheads and I loved the way it felt. Currenly I am using either Bigelow moisture-rich facial wash or Origins Liquid Crystal, and my homemade facial scrub (brown sugar & baking soda). I'm nearly out of both cleansers so I think I may go back to cold cream again...

shepkatt

Familiar Face
I have always used Ponds cold cream.. I just love the creamy cold feeling of it on my face and the smell takes me back to my childhood. Lots of goodness in that little jar.

Miss RM

Familiar Face
Penny Candy said:
But now my skin is throwing a fit: the skin above my eyes, my forehead, and my cheeks are actually drying out. I was able to use the cucumber Ponds without any additional moisturizer, so what gives? Is it too greasy? Does my skin just need time to adjust? Am I doomed to using the cucumber Ponds? Help!

How long have you been using the regular Ponds? When I started using it a few months ago, I went through a week-long period where I thought it wasn't going to work for me - it dried out my skin quite badly! I stuck with it, though, and soon my skin adjusted, and it works great now! I almost never feel I need moisturizer after I wash now. I suppose it depends on your individual skin, but for me, I think my skin just needed time to get over the usual soap and moisturizer routine I'd been using for years.

Mary

Practically Family
Antje said:
I never used a cold cream before, but I have a tube of Nivea, it's made in Germany, so i think I will use it,

any advise on how to use is welcome

Antje, cold cream and the nivea in the blue tin is not the same. I wouldn't use the Nivea as a cleanser, it's simply a moisturazier to me. But maybe you could use it differently. Try it out, and report back to us!

Antje

One Too Many
Mary said:
Antje, cold cream and the nivea in the blue tin is not the same. I wouldn't use the Nivea as a cleanser, it's simply a moisturazier to me. But maybe you could use it differently. Try it out, and report back to us!

Thank you for that tip, I hope to get some other cold cream then, I cannot find ponds over here in Holland

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
CherryRed said:
Boots in now being sold in Target here in the states!!

I saw this when I was in Target across the mountain (our nearest Target is 30 miles away).

I haven't read any reviews, or I may have snatched it up. Anyone tried it?
I'm curious to know if oily skin can use it. I'm having good success (knocks on wood) with Pond's so far.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I have pretty oily skin and I use Boots cold cream as a cleanser/makeup remover - I know some people use it as an overnight cream but my skin just doesn't cope with it.

As long as it's a quick on/off though I love it, it definitely makes my skin softer xx

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
CherryRed...thanks for the link!!! I'm very intrigued, I might pick up a jar of the cold cream the next time I'm over the mountain in Target.

miserabelle...are you acne-prone? I'm walk a fine line between horrible breakouts because I'm too dry or too moisturized. If I get this once my Pond's is out, I may have to switch to a stronger witch hazel...

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Last time I was in Wal-Mart, I was shocked that they: A. didn't carry a generic brand cold cream (I thought Wal-Mart had generic everything?!), and B. the price of Pond's. Nearly $9 for a medium-sized jar! I'm such a cheapskate I couldn't bring myself to spend that much, so instead I opted for this - a huge 15 oz. tub for less than $3!

34409313-177x150-0-0.jpg

I've been using it off and on, and while it doesn't have that lovely rosey cold cream scent, it seems to work just as well for makeup removal, and is considerably less greasy than Pond's.

I'm curious if anyone else has been using the Jergens and has opinions? I searched and saw a few others mention purchasing it or seeing it in stores, but I'd be interested in hearing from others who use/have used it.

I'm interested in the Boots cold cream... but I don't know if I can justify $10 for 1.6 ounces of product. The packaging is super cute so maybe it'd be a good bathroom countertop item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner