Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Lenore

Practically Family
msrsimpkin said:
...Although, I have had a fairly bad breakout. But I'm hoping my skin's just going through that "getting used to it" phase.

Has anyone else had the same problem, and, if so, did it eventually clear up? And did you notice a significant difference to your skin with the use of the cold cream?

My face is most definitely more moisturized now, and I've been using Ponds and Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel exclusively for almost 2 months. I ended up with a fairly bad break out about 3 weeks ago and it's finally dissipating. I'm still more shiny than I was prior to starting the Cold Cream regime, but I never actually took care of my skin more than rinsing it with water in the shower. I think it's a getting used to it thing, and it is working on normalizing. I would think everyone has there own time table for it, but it's taken about 3 weeks to clear things up.

I did notice that prior to cleaning my face in the morning, I could easily go out with no makeup on and not think a thing of it... hmmm... [huh]

kekecat

New in Town
msrsimpkin said:
I went ahead and got myself some Cold Cream from Boots. I have oily/combination skin, so I have to be careful not to use anything too oily, and also nothing that will strip the natural oils from my skin. I thought I'd give it a go, since I'd heard so many good things about it

So far, I've been using my regular makeup remover, followed by the cold cream (wipped off with a damp face cloth) and then a sweep of Witch Hazel before I go to bed. And then using my regular Lush facial cleanser in the morning.
I've been using the cold cream and witch hazel for about a week now (combined with my usual routine), and it certainly leaves my skin feeling much softer, and I find I don't need to used a moisturizer anymore. Although, I have had a fairly bad breakout. But I'm hoping my skin's just going through that "getting used to it" phase.

Has anyone else had the same problem, and, if so, did it eventually clear up? And did you notice a significant difference to your skin with the use of the cold cream?

Hi msrsimpkin - It may be that the product isn't being washed off properly and clogging your pores. I have oily skin (acne prone) and find that when I use a cold cream type remover I have to wipe it off well with a muslin cloth in hot water, then rinse with a few splashes of water. Then use the witch hazel, see how that works for you. It may be you are allergic to the ingredients...:( I sometimes use a bit of soap after, if I think there is still some residue left and forgo the toner.

Incidently I use Liz Earle's cleanse and polish which is a modern version of cold cream and it is lovely. I also make my own using base products and essential oils. Same routine though - ALWAY wipe off with hot water and muslin cloth. FYI they are cheap to buy on ebay. I use mine for a few days then bung it in the wash.

Not sure if these are classed as cold creams as such (they are called cleansing balms generally but used in the same way) but here are some modern alternatives if people can't get on with the original versions:
Eve lom (v expensive!)
Neal's Yard Cleansing balm
Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish
Boots No7 Age Defence Cleansing balm or Massaging cleansing balm
Amanda Lacey
...and if you are mega strapped for cash Aqueous cream.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pond's Two Creams

A lot of you ladies may have noticed in the vintage advertising, that they always talks about the 2 creams - the cold cream, for cleansing, and the Vanishing Cream for lightening and moisturizing and as a powder base.

I always loved the Vanishing cream, but in the late 80s it... vanished.

However! I was just in Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day, and they have
a new version of the vanishing cream, made in Mexico (and bilingual label!).

So I bought a jar and I am loving it. My powder really sticks to it, and it smells much nicer than other bleaching creams, and doesn't have hydroquinone which is a concern for some.

crema_ponds_clarant.jpg

Looks like in the Google, that Pond's sells this under many names in many countries, about time they brought it back here!

zombi

A-List Customer
I use the Oil Cleansing Method for my skin right now, so the concept of using oil to get rid of oil is a familiar (and proven!!) one to me. My OCM mixture is 30% castor oil to 70% jojoba oil, with a bit of rose oil in. So it's quite close to some of the cold creams! The OCM is working well for me, I've never been happier with my skin, but I'm thinking in the winter that my blend, while cleansing and great, may not be moisturizing enough. My skin in naturally pretty oily, but in the winter it turns combination with dry patches on the cheeks.

So on the advice of this thread, I picked up a jar of the Boots cold cream while I was at Target getting a few other things. I tried it last night in the bath just to see -- wow! I love it! I think it's a bit too oily for summer, but it's turning winter now, and already the cold cream feels nicer on the cheeks. So I'll alternate when I feel necessary. Thanks, ladies!

Delia's Gone

New in Town
I spent a lot of time reading through this thread. I'm pretty fed up with my skin, have never been able to find a cleanser/moisturizer duo I was happy with, and I'm going to give cold cream a try. I used Ponds last night and this morning and my skin definitely feels super soft. I have combination skin, it seems like the dry spots are VERY dry and the oily spots VERY oily. I will be thrilled if it can also get rid of blackheads like it did for some of you. I will report back!

Delia's Gone

New in Town
Well I have been using the cold cream for a week and I am happy to report back with my results. It has been amazing so far! I started using it a few days before my period (usually breakout central) - and I have not had a blemish this entire week! My skin feels a lot softer and I feel like I have less blackheads as well. I am still moisturizing in the morning but find I don't need it at night. I am going to continue using this. I am so happy that it's working so far. I will report back in a month or two when I can tell what "long term" effects it has.

monicacaroline

New in Town
I just started cold cream again(switched back to soap for awhile...don't really know why).
I was running low on ponds and it had started to "turn" if you know what I mean.
I picked up some Queen Helene Whipped Cleansing Cream from Sally's ($5.99 for 15 oz WOW). I'm totally in love. Even the most stubborn blackheads on my nose, the ones I sometimes mistake for freckles are loosening up! Its a little bit lighter than ponds but much creamier, if that makes sense. Smells better too.Like jasmine.:)

Lenore

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
crema_ponds_clarant.jpg

Looks like in the Google, that Pond's sells this under many names in many countries, about time they brought it back here!

Can't find that. Can find this...
creamlarge.jpg

Hmmm... Do you have a list of ingredients in English for the Vanishing Cream?

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I used to be soap and water gal but I decided to take the plunge into a cold cream only regimen. I've been using it since Thurs and I am loving the results. The cold cream is even able to make my blackheads less visble on my nose which no product has ever done. I also notice that my complexion is much dewier and softer which is just in time for the bitter NY winter that's right around the corner.

I just have to find a more economical option because the drug stores here see fit to charge $8 for a small jar of Ponds. Really now?

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
Pardon the intrusion gals! I didn't see a place to introduce myself on the forum (it's possible that I overlooked it - I tend to do that, lol), so I thought I'd jump in and thank everyone for their advice in this thread. This is the conversation that made me 100% sure I wanted to join TFL, even though I've been an advid reader for close to a year now. I've never known what cold cream really was, or how to use it, and now I've been using it (with witch hazle) for about a week and a half and my skin already thanking me! I've got extreme combination skin, and exfoliation was never enough for some reason. Now it seems like I wasn't moisturizing properly, because it looks better than it's ever looked. I'm in your debt!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Vanishing cream question...

I've seen vanishing cream quite a bit in the drugstores, even Burt's Bees makes one. I'm very interested in trying it, but...

Miss 1929 said:
I hate freckles. After about 5 days, they are already noticabley lighter!

I actually really love my freckles! And as a natural redhead my face is covered in them. lol Does the vanishing cream fade them, really?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
I've seen vanishing cream quite a bit in the drugstores, even Burt's Bees makes one. I'm very interested in trying it, but...

I actually really love my freckles! And as a natural redhead my face is covered in them. lol Does the vanishing cream fade them, really?

Not all of them do...no...

by definition...vanishing cream is one that -vanishes- into the skin...ie it soaks in...in contrast to cold cream which does not really soak in....

Some vanishing creams do seem to have fading qualities..but not all do, so its worth reading ingredients..etc...

Mrs Beattie

New in Town
I have been using the "Boots" original branding cold cream (mentioned here already), and wiping it off with distilled witch hazel and it seem to be working a treat. My skin has been very unpredictable since having the baby (I think early menopause has kicked it),but the flare up this time seemed to recede when I started the witch hazel.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
My skin loved the cold cream/witch hazel routine, but I found that it was ruining my wash cloths, even after machine washing I couldn't get them all the way clean, perhaps it is the mineral oil in the cream...what am I doing wrong?
Am I not washing them frequently enough?

Edited to add: I've used both Pond's and Boots Traditional...love both but I really enjoy the Boots texture.

vintage_jayhawk

One of the Regulars
DaisieWilde said:
My skin loved the cold cream/witch hazel routine, but I found that it was ruining my wash cloths, even after machine washing I couldn't get them all the way clean, perhaps it is the mineral oil in the cream...what am I doing wrong?

Edited to add: I've used both Pond's and Boots Traditional...love both but I really enjoy the Boots texture.

I use the Boots and I haven't had trouble with my washcloths. I only use them about 4 times before I put them in the wash. My washer has a sanitize cycle that I run my towels on -- are you using hot water in your washer? Mine come out without any problems.[huh]

Hestia

Familiar Face
me, too.

DaisieWilde said:

I make my own cold cream, with no mineral oil, and it still ruins washcloths! I was pre-warned about it, though, so I went out and bought a package of cheap ones before I started using it. I think it's just the high oil content, regardless of the type of oil. It's pretty much just oil whipped up fluffy with some emulsifiers and wax, and oil is hard to get out of cloth.

I usually use a cloth only once (the other advantage of buying a big pack of cheap ones!), so that doesn't help either. Could be the water temp though. I don't wash them in scalding hot water.

Lenore

Practically Family
Cloth diapers!

They come in a variety of colors and patterns that will hide stains, are super soft, and are made to handle just about ANYTHING. I use them for lots of things, but I have a pink one with little vintage style roses on it that I'm currently using for taking off my cold cream.

Also, a little white vinegar in the wash seriously cuts the greaseys. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails