Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
DaisieWilde said:
My skin loved the cold cream/witch hazel routine, but I found that it was ruining my wash cloths, even after machine washing I couldn't get them all the way clean, perhaps it is the mineral oil in the cream...what am I doing wrong?
Am I not washing them frequently enough?

Edited to add: I've used both Pond's and Boots Traditional...love both but I really enjoy the Boots texture.

I had this problem as well. I have used Pond's and the Jergens cream, back to using Pond's now. I was using white washcloths - and I wash my whites on hot, with bleach, a combo of soap, Borax & washing soda, and liquid bluing. I use a bit of white vinegar in my rinse cycle. The makeup stains came out, but the "greasiness" didn't. They always felt like they had a residue, no matter what I did. Either I'm a real stickler about laundry (which is entirely possible) or perhaps it is related to the hardness or softness of water in your area. Either way I quit using the cloths because it was driving me nuts. Now I just tissue the cold cream off.

Two applications in the evening to fully remove my makeup, followed by witch hazel. One application in the morning and let it soak in while I brush my teeth, tissue off, then rinse & exfoliate my face in the shower.

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
Miss Neecerie said:
Another helpful thing...

They are clean ...just -stained-.....so I just no longer use white washcloths for this....as say on a navy one...you cannot see the stains....

This is why I've started buying black and navy washcloths and hand towels. I saw a tip in Martha Stewart to buy dark colors and use as makeup cloths only, she even went so far as to embroider "Makeup" onto them. I'm not quite that ambitious though!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I thought I remembered a while back someone posted their disappointment that Ponds appears to have changed ingredients. I recently picked up a new tub of Ponds and a tub of Walgreen's brand cold cream (Ponds knockoff) to compare ingredients, and sure enough Ponds has changed! However, the Walgreen's brand still has the same ingredients as the earlier Ponds formula.

This is what Ponds used to contain, and what Walgreen's still does:
Mineral Oil, Water, Beeswax, Ceresin, Sodium Borate, Fragrance, Carbomer

New Ponds ingredients:
Mineral oil, water, ceresin, beeswax, triethanolamine, ceteth-20, fragrance, behenic acid, montan wax, cetyl alcohol, carbomer, DMDM hydantoin, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate

fortworthgal said:
I thought I remembered a while back someone posted their disappointment that Ponds appears to have changed ingredients. I recently picked up a new tub of Ponds and a tub of Walgreen's brand cold cream (Ponds knockoff) to compare ingredients, and sure enough Ponds has changed! However, the Walgreen's brand still has the same ingredients as the earlier Ponds formula.

This is what Ponds used to contain, and what Walgreen's still does:
Mineral Oil, Water, Beeswax, Ceresin, Sodium Borate, Fragrance, Carbomer

New Ponds ingredients:
Mineral oil, water, ceresin, beeswax, triethanolamine, ceteth-20, fragrance, behenic acid, montan wax, cetyl alcohol, carbomer, DMDM hydantoin, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate

Oh no!:eek: I have a small stockpile of Pond's from Walgreen's sales. I will have to go see which I have.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Tonight I begin the cold cream regimen; here's hoping for some of the same glowing results as so many FL ladies have achieved. :)
I bought it on a whim; While in CVS for something else, this thread suddenly came to mind, so I investigated the offerings. The little blue Nivea tin was there, for .99, but I opted for Pond's Crema C, in the Mexican department. The ingredients are almost like the new formula fortworthgal listed, but not quite. Still, at $3.49 for 3.5 oz. it seemed worth the gamble.

Mineral oil has been an ingredient I've steered away from mostly, like several others here, but usually while buying/creating massage oils. Though it's still something I'm a bit suspicious of, there's a bit of difference in a product you apply then rinse or wash off, and a massage lotion that's rubbed in at length and usually left to be absorbed (or not) into the skin.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
ThesFlishThngs said:
Mineral oil has been an ingredient I've steered away from mostly, like several others here, but usually while buying/creating massage oils. Though it's still something I'm a bit suspicious of, there's a bit of difference in a product you apply then rinse or wash off, and a massage lotion that's rubbed in at length and usually left to be absorbed (or not) into the skin.

Me too! I was using baby oil for a white to moisturize after showering and then one day I suddenly broke out in a rash. Since then I've switched oils. But so far so good on the cold cream. It really has made a difference in my skin esp since the cold weather is approaching and it doesn't strip the skin. The hardest part for me was getting used to not rushing to the sink to wash with soap and water.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
ooh I love this thread!

My Grandma Nellie (rip 2007) passed away a few days before her 103rd birthday! growing up I remember her complexion looking so soft and smooth. She used Jergens face cream, in fact I remember asking her one day what she used on her face her response was, "honey, I don't know the name of it other than it has 3 faces on it".

I also remember a pink bottle of hand lotion with a red rose on it called Rose Milk , anyone else? it smelled just like a rose ;)

Lenore

Practically Family
Hamilton_Honey said:
Oh, I can smell it now! When I was a little girl I felt so special when my grandmother gave me those little bottles of Rose Milk.

Thanks for bringing back such a nice memory.

I wonder if I can find it anywhere these days...

Is this what you're taking about, ladies?

200.jpg

You can get it at drugstore.com.. or GIYF: "Rose Milk"

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I really like the Liz Earle version, it isn't called cold cream but the cleanse and polish, but I guess that's what it is, it comes with a muslin cloth and my skin feels amazing afterwards. t dissolves everything but don't feel heavvy.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Lenore said:
Is this what you're taking about, ladies?

200.jpg

You can get it at drugstore.com.. or GIYF: "Rose Milk"

Yup! thats the stuff alright only back in the day it came in a pump style bottle. I remember when our Milkman, George, left a couple of samples with our order, they were tiny little bottles in the shape of a milk bottle ;)

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
My skin has been a bit "bleh" as of late, and I've been doing something I shouldn't (picking blemishes - making mountains out of mole hills). I bought the Ponds B3 tub from Walmart today, cleaned my face of makeup and put a little on. Hopefully in a few weeks, my skin will start to behave. And hopefully I can retrain myself to not touch (maim) my face.

UmmBatul

New in Town
I use Ponds at the moment. I've appropriated just about all of the wash cloths in the home, though. I can't seem to get them as clean as I'd wish either, so it's a good thing nobody else in my family uses them.

My skin is very blemish prone, but since I've started using cold cream, my skin has gotten much better. I have far fewer blemishes and those I do have seem to disappear faster than in the past.

roselily

One of the Regulars
I just ordered some organic cold cream off of Etsy. (Ponds turned my skin bright red.) I can't wait to try it. I had been doing OCM but its gotten to be just too messy for regular use.

I'm intrigued by the idea of making my own, but I'm not that into the idea of ruining my blender, ;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lenore said:
Can't find that. Can find this...
creamlarge.jpg

Hmmm... Do you have a list of ingredients in English for the Vanishing Cream?
Sorry, I transferred it to my vintage Pond's jars and pitched the label immediately!

But when I was Googling about for the picture, I got both of those pictures, like yours and like mine, and I think it's the same stuff. The "noticeably lighter" is the vanishing item.

I am still using it months after my original post and still loving it! I had to buy a second jar!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I use the Boots own brand formula and I find if I leave it on my skin for more than a few seconds my skin starts to "warm," I've always ignored it though as it hasn't caused a rash or anything. Now though, after having a cold and having to blow my nose all the time I find it positively stings on the irritaed skin. Does anyone know if there is a sensitive formula cold cream out there?

roselily

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
I use the Boots own brand formula and I find if I leave it on my skin for more than a few seconds my skin starts to "warm," I've always ignored it though as it hasn't caused a rash or anything. Now though, after having a cold and having to blow my nose all the time I find it positively stings on the irritaed skin. Does anyone know if there is a sensitive formula cold cream out there?

try organic homemade ones- I'm loving the one I got on etsy, but its apparently easy to make your own, with good oils rather than mineral oil.

Heather

Practically Family
I am LOVING what Ponds Cold cream is doing for my complexion. I'm worried though, since I have the original formula. Has anyone tried the reformulated stuff? It would be a bummer to have to find something else to replace something that has been working wonders!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails