Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
In the early 30s, Pond's actually had their own brand of tissues for removing cold cream. They specifically marketed it to the people who didn't want the greasy washcloths.

Nothing is new under the sun, huh?

Really? That's fantastic! Nice to know that the greasy washcloth problem is truly a vintage problem...hee hee.

It seems that facial tissue would leave fuzzy lint and perhaps even the more expensive toilet papers might do the same. I may just invest in the cheap TP to start tissuing off my cold cream.

I still can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner...after the months and months I've been griping about greasy washcloths...DUH! lol

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I had a couple of dedicated wash cloths, but in the laundry chaos, they would always go missing. Now I keep a big bag of cotton balls to use, and I'm happy with the way they take the cream off.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal said:
I always use toilet paper to remove mine! I can't stand the greasy wash cloth.
I've been using the Jergens cream lately, mostly because of the price - it is about $3 for a huge tub, instead of $7 for a smaller tub of Pond's. I am pretty pleased with it and I was surprised to learn it is a vintage product!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2721/4157366401_d40d38e82b.jpg
I use Jergens face cream too (I buy it at the black beauty/ afro-hair shop). I wipe it of with cotton beauty pads and follow up with a hot wash cloth.

1940s (along w lotion, powder, and cologne)
4aed219eeb4f3_133894n.jpg

Now
women-jergens-all-purpose-face-cream-15oz_599329_raw.jpg

It still has three heads!

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
cherry lips...that Jergens set is fabulous!!! Love it!

I find that Jergens isn't as greasy and is easier to remove than Ponds.
And the large tub is definitely more economical.

I love how the three heads has been maintained on the label. Looks like it's always been a blond, dark brunette/black and a redhead!

So when grandma says "it's the one with the three faces" you know it's the right cold cream :)

Heather

Practically Family
I'm definitely going to be on the look out for the jergens! I'd love to compare it with ponds. I didn't see it at my hannafords but maybe rite aid? What is the scent like?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I buy mine at good ol' Wal-Mart. I think it is $3-$4 for the big tub. The scent is definitely different than Pond's - I just love that trademark Pond's rose scent! Jergens has more of a perfumey fragrance... like a more perfumey version of baby lotion. Hard to describe. The only gripe I have about Jergens is the pink color of the cream makes it tough to tell if I'm removing all of my makeup sometimes.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I just splurged on some Boots cold cream from Target. I still love good old Ponds and Jergans (depends on my mood for the scent when I'm shopping!), but I'm enjoying the Boots. It's quite thick and I can feel the beeswax in it, which is nice. And I love the rose scent!

It seems like such a tiny jar, but it's so thick it seems to be going a long way. Next time I'm over the big pond, I'm going to stock up at UK prices! Of course, the jar is GREAT! (Anyone keep them and do something cute with them? I can't throw it away!)

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Wire9Vintage, I recently got a jar of Boots cold cream too! I love it so much more than Ponds or Queen Helene. I feel like it cleans a lot deeper and the scent is just lovely. I was also turned off by the small jar. But it does seem to go farther than other creams and if you put it on in a steamy shower, it goes even further.

Cufflinks

New in Town
I'm embarassed to say, I don't know what cold cream is. Witch hazel....never knew what that was until recently... Ignorance is bliss, at least for the use I heard of

appy

Familiar Face
For daytime, I use a modern cleanser and spf moisturiser, but I do use cold cream in the evenings, to remove my makeup. I apply it to my dry face, let it collect all the makeup, then wipe dry, followed by a gentle rinsing wipe. I only use witch hazel if I'm having an oily problem (my skin is usually dry in colder months and combo in warmer months).

I am currently using Ponds, but desire a change. Specifically, I'd like a brand that both works and does not test on animals. Advice? Thanks! :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't a huge fan of the Boots cream. It didn't smell overly rosy to me, more like bergamot. It also stung a bit, and $8 seemed high for the tiny jar that didn't last too long. I finished the jar, cleaned it out, and refill it with either Ponds or Jergens, since they both come in unattractive utilitarian plastic tubs. lol

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Cufflinks said:
I'm embarassed to say, I don't know what cold cream is. Witch hazel....never knew what that was until recently... Ignorance is bliss, at least for the use I heard of

Hi Cufflinks!

Cold cream goes way back. a gentle alternative to soap and water for removing make-up as well as a moisturizer that women like my grandmother who passed away several yrs ago at the age of 103 used. Her favorite was the Jergens only in her day (okay, mine too lol ) it came in a white milk glass jar with a metal screw on cap. Gramma had the softest baby bottom skin ever!
My dad on the other hand, always used Noxema as his moisturizer after shaving. his routing was to put it on his face and leave it on till it had all but vanished, followed with a warm rinse of water. He also had his mothers lovely complexion.;)

Lenore

Practically Family
appy said:
For daytime, I use a modern cleanser and spf moisturiser, but I do use cold cream in the evenings, to remove my makeup. I apply it to my dry face, let it collect all the makeup, then wipe dry, followed by a gentle rinsing wipe. I only use witch hazel if I'm having an oily problem (my skin is usually dry in colder months and combo in warmer months).

I am currently using Ponds, but desire a change. Specifically, I'd like a brand that both works and does not test on animals. Advice? Thanks! :)

Appy, a page or so back there is a link to LisaFreemontStreet's review on an etsy seller who makes her own cold cream. It's divine and not tested on animals and contains no nasties. :)

Lenore

Practically Family
Cufflinks said:

I'm almost embarrassed to ask what the use you heard of was... eep!

appy

Familiar Face
Lenore said:
Appy, a page or so back there is a link to LisaFreemontStreet's review on an etsy seller who makes her own cold cream. It's divine and not tested on animals and contains no nasties. :)

Ah, Thank you very much! :D

PrettyPaula

New in Town
hey ladies, after reading this thread i went to Boots (im lucky i have one local here in blighty!) and they had the whole range on 3 for 2, and the items are £3.89 each, so i got cold cream,. skin tonic (which is a rosewater toner) and some cuticle oil which comes in a little pippette!! its gorgeous!

heres a shot of the whole range

bootsoriginalbeautie1.jpg

appy

Familiar Face
PrettyPaula said:
hey ladies, after reading this thread i went to Boots (im lucky i have one local here in blighty!) and they had the whole range on 3 for 2, and the items are £3.89 each, so i got cold cream,. skin tonic (which is a rosewater toner) and some cuticle oil which comes in a little pippette!! its gorgeous!

heres a shot of the whole range

bootsoriginalbeautie1.jpg

This has always eluded me, but... what's the difference between the cold cream and the vanishing cream??

Smuterella

One Too Many
cold cream is usually used as a cleanser while vanishing cream is a mattifying moisturiser (i.e. it vanishes into the skin)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran