Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Lenore

Practically Family
Also lately I have been using the Boots Original skincare line (sold at Target stores here). I use the rose vanishing day cream, the bergamot night cream and the rose skin tonic. I *love* them. Between that and my cold cream, my skin looks and feels great. I'm not crazy about the Boots original cold cream, but I will definitely continue to use the other 3 products I mentioned.

I'm not overly in favor of Boot's cold cream as I find it too waxy, but I ADORE the Rose Day Cream and the skin tonic. I buy the cream in bulk because I use it for EVERYTHING. It's one of the only one's I've found that doesn't make my skin a greasy mess. I use it day, and night and on anywhere and everywhere. It smells divine and feels great. I'm just that much of a rose enthusiast... I suppose I should probably find a perfume...

Fadetoblack

New in Town
Well it's not the first time I come across cold cream and witch hazel recommendations but I always thought it will not fit my oily skin… After reading this thread I decided to try the green lid Ponds and witch hazel and I can't believe the affect it has on my skin. I'm so happy I found this thread!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I'm sure that other Australian Loungers will know how hard it is to find cold cream in the shops here, so I just thought I'd let everyone know that cold cream is available at the chemist & supermarket. It's just called something else......Dove Essential Nutrients Deep Cleansing Cream. Depending on where you shop it's about $5- $7 dollars a 100ml jar.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm really anxious to try the Albolene tonight, since I have a full face of makeup and the world's most difficult to remove mascara (Ulta Amped Lashes waterproof).

I'm not overly in favor of Boot's cold cream as I find it too waxy, but I ADORE the Rose Day Cream and the skin tonic. I buy the cream in bulk because I use it for EVERYTHING. It's one of the only one's I've found that doesn't make my skin a greasy mess. I use it day, and night and on anywhere and everywhere. It smells divine and feels great. I'm just that much of a rose enthusiast... I suppose I should probably find a perfume...

I love the rose day cream. I don't have oily skin at all, and I'll admit I was skeptical when I read the ingredients and noticed it has dimethicone in it ('cones typically cause me to break out). However, I haven't had any problems with it. It makes the perfect matte finish base for makeup. I do use a touch of another face cream underneath, as I find the rose day cream isn't moisturizing enough for me by itself.

rene_writer

Familiar Face
Wow, I just read this whole thread over the last two days. Tons of information.

I've had acne everywhere from mild to severe for the last ten years. It's settled at mild over the last year, but now that I am out of my teens, my skin has been getting drier and drier. I quit using acne products and switched over to "sensitive skin" everything, but still it felt like my face was going to crack off. I started to wonder about cold cream, so I typed it into google and found that some people with acne do use it.

I went to Walmart with the intention of buying Ponds, but noticed that Jergens was much cheaper at $3.12 for a huge tub. The first three ingredients were the same, so I went ahead and bought the Jergens. I've been using it for three days now. No new break-outs, (I was sure I was going to wake up and look 16 again. In my case, not a good thing) and my skin hasn't felt this good in years. To be honest, I don't even really remember what normal skin feels like anymore. The last time I had it I was ten.

This is probably TMI, but I'm coming off a bad hormonal break-out, so I'll see how it clear and what the cold cream does. I'll update soon.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Normally I use Ponds, but ran out a while ago. I've tried both Jergens and Boots in the past and they made me breakout. :( I'm going to the store today to get another jar of Ponds, but hearing all the muttering about a changed formula I am worried. FortworthGal... How was the albolene? I googled it to see what it was... I may try that?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I've been using the Albolene, and I really like it! It removes makeup - even extreme waterproof mascara - very easily. I used it last night after a hangar dance and I had a face full of makeup - primer, heavy foundation, powder, waterproof mascara that withstands even baby oil - the works. Albolene took it off with ease! The tub is $10-$12 at Walgreens, but it is huge and you have to use so little (way less than cold cream) that it will last ages.

The only thing I dislike is that it has no scent at all. I think it would probably be great for someone who wants to use cold cream, but has issues with the fragrance - it seems like Albolene is more gentle. But I do love my cold cream rosewater fragrance! I have been using Albolene to remove my makeup and then following with my regular cold cream, so I get the best of both worlds, so to speak.

Albolene is very greasy, like applying vaseline to your face, so that's something else to get used to. But, it works so well that it is worth it IMHo, and it comes off my face easily with a hot wash cloth and doesn't leave much more greasiness than cold cream.

I didn't care much for the Jergens either. It worked fine on me, but I disliked the fragrance and it always burned my eyes terribly.

Last edited:

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
FortworthGal... Heheheehe not going to lie... I always cringed when I had to buy a new jar of Ponds. Not that 6-8$ is really anything compared to what I have paid for somethings, but still it hurt my pocket book a bit. So Albolene costing 4$ more isn't helping, but if you really need just a little and it will last forever, that shouldn't hurt quite so much. I was reading how it is good for dry skin problems like eczema, but I don't have that, but I have been getting dry flakey patches about the size of a pinhead on my chin lately. I hope that will help with that. What the heck... I think I'll try it. If it doesn't work, I'll just go get Ponds and see if their change in formula will hurt any. :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I don't care for Lush's 9-5 as a cleanser, I actually like it more as a moisturizer! But I can only use it as such every once in awhile otherwise it will break me out. But it's definitely a gentle one for anyone with sensitive skin!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
FortworthGal... Heheheehe not going to lie... I always cringed when I had to buy a new jar of Ponds. Not that 6-8$ is really anything compared to what I have paid for somethings, but still it hurt my pocket book a bit. So Albolene costing 4$ more isn't helping, but if you really need just a little and it will last forever, that shouldn't hurt quite so much. I was reading how it is good for dry skin problems like eczema, but I don't have that, but I have been getting dry flakey patches about the size of a pinhead on my chin lately. I hope that will help with that. What the heck... I think I'll try it. If it doesn't work, I'll just go get Ponds and see if their change in formula will hurt any. :)

I hope you like it!

I too hate the price of Ponds. I remember the store brand being around $4 and now even that is up around $7; I think Ponds is around $9 at most stores here. Ugh.

Last edited:

tamjwhite

New in Town
I don't care for Lush's 9-5 as a cleanser, I actually like it more as a moisturizer! But I can only use it as such every once in awhile otherwise it will break me out. But it's definitely a gentle one for anyone with sensitive skin!

I've got horrible dry sensitive and problematic skin :/ so it does work for me! I do really love the smell of my ponds stuff. like roses<3

zombi

A-List Customer
I love the little white pot of the "traditional skin care cold cream" from Boots -- not the rose one that's available here in the USA, the white pot of the "traditional" that's only in the UK. A friend of mine sent me some and since my Pond's is almost gone, I'll be moving on to it next. After that, though, I think I'm going to try out some of the cataphract cold cream. Now that I have the little white pot, you see, I can use it up and refill it with whatever I like ;)

A different friend sent me some Boots "traditional skin care skin cream", which is not quite like cold cream. It smells heavenly but it seems to be overly drying to my face. I hate to not use it (waste not!!!), but I don't know what to do with it now since it hasn't quite worked out for me! Hmmm.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I'm going to give Albolene a bit more time, but so far I think it's not the one for me. :( I am going to keep using for about 2 more weeks as my breakouts may be hormonal than from the product. Although I'm pretty sure its the Albolene. Ah poop!

crwritt

One Too Many
My Grandmother swore by Pond's. She washed her face with it nightly,and confided to me that she had been a "model" for Pond's. I asked her if pictures were taken. She said no, it was very private. It may have been a
marketing campaign in the 20's, when she was in Normal School.(Teacher's College) A salesman from Pond's came to her school and advertised for models. She applied and was taught how to use Pond's Cold cream and Coty Airspun powder. She used it her whole life after that, and as I recall, her skin was very nice even in her 90's.
Of course, she was a redhead from northern Maine, and never went outside much.

Has anyone used the Mario Badescu Orange Cleansing cream? http://mariobadescu.com/orange-cleansing-soap I love it. I wash with that, then use Thayer's rose alcohol free witch hazel, then Jason Vit, E cream.
Morning and night.

Last edited:

crwritt

One Too Many
I use Mario Badescu cream soap & control cream in the morning. I think their products are fantastic.

I used to be able to buy Mario Badescu products and get samples at a local shop. The shop closed, so now I must order on line. One day I'd like to get a facial at thier New York salon, though I hear its more like a dental
visit than a spa day.

oh, I fixed the link http://mariobadescu.com/orange-cleansing-soap

Last edited:

UntouchableTreasure

New in Town
I just tried out Pond's cold cream for the first time last night. I did really enjoy how soft it left my skin feeling! The only downer was it left my skin a bit tingly, like maybe I was reacting to one of the ingredients. But I have the most sensitive skin on the planet, so take it for what it's worth.

icepinkstars

New in Town
I read about Pond's cold cream here a few weeks ago and all the great reviews. I bought it at a Target store on sale for a little over $4 (not sure of the current price now) and couldn't wait to go home and try it. It works great with my skin. I have been using it every night before bed and I love the way it makes my face feel (Hubby likes the smell too). At first I noticed a little tingly feeling, but that was maybe the first or second time I used it. I kept using it and I really feel like my face is looking better, and it really does remove all the makeup from my skin. Thanks everyone for mentioning the Pond's cold cream. I'm a fan now :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot