Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Caroline H

Familiar Face
I found this thread about 3 weeks ago and read the whole thing (that took a while!). Thank you so much ladies for sharing all your valuable experience and information! About 5 pages into it I ran out to Target and bought Boots Cold Cream Rose and have been using it since then. At night I use I eye makeup remover first, then put some cold cream on the rest of my face and use a washcloth with warm to hot water to wipe it off. Then I put on a second layer while I brush my teeth and wipe that off with the washcloth. If I have any trouble spots I dab at them with witch hazel, then put on Boots Overnight Skin Cream and some eye cream. In the morning I put on a very thin layer of cold cream before I get in the shower and let the steam work with it to make my face clean and soft for makeup application. This has been working really well so far. My skin hasn't looked this good in years and I love the rose and bergamot fragrances of the cold cream and night cream. I'm now feeling silly for all the years I let advertising convince me that I needed a whole bunch of more expensive and less effective products!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I use the bergamot night cream and I like it. I've been using it for about 2 months now. My skin tends to be somewhat dry (especially in the winter months), and it provides enough moisture for me. It is more moisturizing than the rose day cream. I usually layer it over my Estee Lauder night serum, but if I'm feeling exceptionally lazy I just use the bergamot cream alone. It smells heavenly and absorbs nicely. If your skin is super dry, you may need something a little heavier.

I also use the rose vanishing day cream, which I love as it provides a beautiful matte finish for makeup. However, it isn't moisturizing enough for me by itself, so I have to layer it atop another cream.

Caroline H

Familiar Face
I do like the bergamot night cream. It is just enough moisture for me without feeling too heavy and as fortworthgal says, it smells heavenly!

pompsnpincurls

Familiar Face
I first purchased and used Pond's green-capped cold cream back in March of this years, I used it a couple of times and I loved the feeling it left me at night! I stopped using it until a couple of months ago because the makeup remover wipes took less time and frankly I was lazy! Thank goodness I stopped being lazy and started using my jar of Pond's again! My skin hasn't been so even and clear since before high school! I was really harsh with my skincare until this last year and it left me with super irritated skin and breakouts galore, and Pond's has completely turned that around! I have extremely oily skin but still get flakiness (tell me how that works :p) and the cold cream has helped with that, especially with winter cold making it worse. I wear full makeup everyday, and it gets it off easily.

My Nighttime regimen:
Slather on cold cream, let it sit for a a few seconds, then take a wet washcloth and lightly exfoliate my face to remove the cold cream. Then I rinse the cloth really well and go over my face again to get the extra product off.

Then I follow that with my L'Oreal cream cleanser (the one with the pink top), and then I use a Clean & Clear Acne moisturizer and one of the 2 eye creams I use and if I need it, salicylic treatment on any spots.

My Morning Regime:
If my face feels dry or it's really cold out, I will rub in a small amount of my Pond's after I brush my teeth, and then I wash my face with my L'Oreal cleanser in the shower and then use the same moisturizer and eye cream followed by my foundation primer.

My skin looks and feels better, and my makeup goes on so much better! I'm so glad I made the switch!

With all of this talk about Albolene and the Walgreen's formula, I think I'm going to do a little more research and maybe give them a try! I'll keep you gals posted!

tamjwhite

New in Town
I don't care for Lush's 9-5 as a cleanser, I actually like it more as a moisturizer! But I can only use it as such every once in awhile otherwise it will break me out. But it's definitely a gentle one for anyone with sensitive skin!

Have you tried ultrabland? It isn't as different for me than the ponds with the green cap. I want to know more about the different formulations on the ponds cream. I've also just ordered German Nivea and I'm gonna give that a try as a cold cream. Hopefully it works!

tamjwhite

New in Town
I've just purchased the boots Cleansing Milk! It's like a cold cream but a little more watery. The packaging is so darling but I've just realized they have Dimethicone in the ingredient list. I have cut out cones from my hair and was wondering if you Ladies knew of the effects of it on skin?

zombi

A-List Customer
Dimethicone will not hurt your skin. It's a matter of personal preference. Dimethicone is added to produce a silky after-feel on the skin.

tamjwhite

New in Town
I know that Dimethicone will cover the hair locking moisture in but I also know that it locks moisture out and that it's not water soluble. That's the only reason I'm having a hard time figuring out if it will do the same for my skin:(

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I was a bit apprehensive about the 'cones in the Boots line, too. My hair *loves* 'cones, but they generally do not agree with my skin. Any time I use Smashbox Photo Finish primer, I break out for days afterward. Anyway, I'm not sure if it is the specific type of 'cone or the Boots formulation, but I haven't had any skin issues, and I've been using them since September. It really helps hold moisture into your skin. Here's some information: http://truthinaging.com/ingredients/dimethicone

tamjwhite

New in Town
Well, I decided to give the cold cream & witch hazel "diet" a try. I had always figured it would just be way too greasy, but then I also realized that sometimes the simple approach works best, so why not? I set aside my usual foaming cleanser, salicylic acid scrub, astringent, and light moisturizer. I used the cold cream and followed up with witch hazel last night and again this morning in the shower. For a moisturizer, I used a tiny amount of the Nivea cream and just patted it onto my face. All I can say is wow! I'm definitely impressed. My skin doesn't feel greasy at all, it feels great and very clean. Normally when I wake up in the morning, my skin feels very greasy, but not this morning. I think that because of all the harsh products I was using, my skin was probably producing way more oil to compensate. I don't get many blemishes, but I do have a constant battle with blackheads on my nose. I cannot get rid of them no matter what I do, but this morning many of them were gone. I'm going to stick with this for a while and see how it goes. It'll definitely be less expensive! If I want to stick with a "golden era" philosophy, I can still use my Queen Helene mint julep and mud masks as needed, as those are both 1930s products and quite inexpensive.

On the Nivea cream, CVS and Walgreen's both had the small metal tins - but both were made in Mexico. I had to go to Wal-Mart to find the German-made tins. They were less expensive there anyway - 88 cents opposed to $1. So, just make sure you check the back of the metal tin because not all of them are made in Germany. Also, Walgreen's had their brand of cold cream on sale - $3.99 for a 16 oz tub. I picked it up and I do really like it, it seems less greasy than the Pond's and much less costly. Walgreen's also had a big bottle of witch hazel on sale for $1.99.

Also, regarding use of cold cream - all my old magazines recommend applying a layer and then removing it with either a washcloth or tissue, and then "rinsing" with another layer applied and removed. I have also read several ads recommending that the second layer be left on for one minute as a mask. I've tried that and I like it.
fortworthgal, is this how you are still taking care of your skin now? I want to find something that I can stick with without having to buy a zillion products just to add to the graveyard under my sink.
Based on what you have written in this thread I believe we have very similar skin types

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Pretty similar, but I've made a few changes. I don't use witch hazel right now, or the Nivea cream. Right now my cleansing lineup is:
- Walgreen's brand cold cream
- Albolene cleanser (occasional use)
- Boots original beauty rose skin tonic

I use the Walgreen's brand cold cream for all of my cleansing, and remove it with hot wet washcloths (bought cheap at the dollar store). I dislike Pond's, much prefer Walgreen's store brand. I apply a layer, massage it to loosen makeup, remove with the hot cloth, then do a second layer, massage it in nicely, and let it sit for a minute or 2 and then remove with a hot cloth. I do this after I get home from work to remove makeup, and then in the mornings I do another layer & let it sit while I brush my teeth, then remove. I follow with toner - I use the Boots Original Beauty rose skin tonic. I do also like witch hazel, though. I also use the Boots Original rose day cream and the bergamot night cream. The rose day cream isn't quite hydrating enough for me, but I still love it as it makes a beautiful matte base for makeup, so I use another moisturizer underneath it. I also exfoliate my face about once per week in the shower with a light granular scrub and my Olay cleansing brush. Occasionally I will use the Queen Helene mask, but it is a little harsh for me during the winter months when my skin dries out.

I included Albolene because I sometimes use it for makeup removal (the 1st step), then follow with cold cream. The Albolene does cut through makeup better, so I like to use it if I have on longwear foundation or a waterproof mascara.

Last edited:

Caroline H

Familiar Face
Several times in this thread people have mentioned having dedicated wash cloths for make up removal. I mentioned the idea to a friend (who happens to have an embroidery machine) and look what he gave me! :D

005.jpg
[/IMG]
004.jpg
[/IMG]

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I feel a bit out of place posting here, but need your help. I am prone to developing ingrown hairs after shaving. I usually use bar soap, and decided to switch over to Noxzema. I am noticing my face not having as many issues as I did. Would you consider that a cold cream? I have read about twenty or so pages and it seems everyone is enjoying Ponds. Now, I don't have to take off makeup, etc. so do you think I'm doing alright sticking with Noxzema? I can not for the life of me find any Nivea that is not made in Mexico. I have checked in three different cities. On a side note, Nivea was my German born Grandmothers daily/nightly routine.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've only tried Noxzema once, so I can't speak to whether or not it is a true cold cream. Even if you aren't removing makeup, I think cold cream makes an excellent deep cleanser. Personally I have dry skin and issues with blackheads/clogged pores on my nose, and the cold cream definitely helps with those issues, independent of makeup removal.

If the Noxzema is working well for you, stick with it.

Have you tried exfoliating? That may help with ingrown hairs as well.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I've only tried Noxzema once, so I can't speak to whether or not it is a true cold cream. Even if you aren't removing makeup, I think cold cream makes an excellent deep cleanser. Personally I have dry skin and issues with blackheads/clogged pores on my nose, and the cold cream definitely helps with those issues, independent of makeup removal.

If the Noxzema is working well for you, stick with it.

Have you tried exfoliating? That may help with ingrown hairs as well.

I really don't, but may make a trip to the cosmetic isle for some type of scrubbing pad/sponge. I use a straight razor, so that pretty much always removes a layer of skin, but I don't shave daily due to the closeness of the shaves.

pompsnpincurls

Familiar Face
Hey Everyone, so I bought the Jergen's All-Purpose Face Cream because I'm trying to save money right now, and I'm looking up the differences of ingredients and I saw that my Pond's Cool Classic has ceresin in it. I didn't know what that was so I looked it up and found something really disturbing:

"Answer:

In general, this material is not considered hazardrous if one handles it using proper lab procedures. However, there are ways that it can pose as a threat to one's well being. Ceresin wax is harmful if swallowed. One should avoid breathing in its vapors. Avoid contatc witheyes, skin, and clothes.

Ceresin wax can be harmful with heat and ignition sources. One should use it with adequate ventilation, wash thoroughly after handling, and keep the container closed. If it does come in contact with your skin, wash the exposed area with soap and water. Seek medical attention if the irritation continues. If you get in in your eyes , rinse them for a minimum of 15 minutes, lifting your lids occasionally and seek medical aid. If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If breathing becomes difficult, give oxygen. If digested, drink several glasses of milk or water. There may be alot of spontaneously vomitting, but DO NOT INDUCE and never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_ceresin_wax_harmful#ixzz1j07pcZOo

Now I often times have gotten my cold cream in my eyes and now that I've read this, I'm hoping I didn't do any permanent damage! Has anyone else read this or know anything more about this ingredient? I'm rethinking ever purchasing Pond's again. I'm going to do some more research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21