Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
I've had issues with residue left over, too. I used to just use a tissue to wipe it off but my skin always felt a little filmy. Ladies over in the OCM thread recommended using a washcloth and very warm to hot water. Soak the cloth, wipe off the cold cream, rinse the cloth and wipe again. It works for me to get rid of any filmy feeling.

Oh my goodness, thank you. One question -- how do you get the makeup out of the cloth?? I think I may have ruined it!!

I ordered samples of the lemon and lavender cold creams from her Etsy site, thank you so very much for that link! I can't wait to try them.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Yeah, the makeup does kinda gunk up the cloth. I keep two designated as my "cold cream cloths" and just make sure to wash them regularly.
Another thing I've found helps is to tissue off my eye makeup before using the washcloth. My liner and mascara tends to be the heaviest and stains the cloth the most. Then I go over everything with the washcloth.

I got the lemon too- I love the smell :)

zombi

A-List Customer
If the residue bothers me, I put a little witch hazel on a cotton pad and it helps take the residue off. As for rinsing out the cloths, I have found that extremely hot water usually does a pretty good job. Otherwise you gals might try washing your cloth out with dish soap.

I've been wanting to try Cataphract's cold creams. I'm waiting 'til my jar of Pond's is gone, though!

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
Dish soap!! That's good advice actually. I remember during the Gulf oil disaster they were washing the ducks/sea birds off with Joy soap ... clearly it cuts through some pretty thick grease

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
If the residue bothers me, I put a little witch hazel on a cotton pad and it helps take the residue off. As for rinsing out the cloths, I have found that extremely hot water usually does a pretty good job. Otherwise you gals might try washing your cloth out with dish soap.

I've been wanting to try Cataphract's cold creams. I'm waiting 'til my jar of Pond's is gone, though!

the dish soap also works well on getting pomade out of pillow cases too.

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
I hope this isn't Off topic but, does witch hazel do the same thing that rose water toner does? I got my make up done and this woman had used rose water or something like that before applying the foundation.

lareine

A-List Customer
Witch hazel can be pretty harsh as a toner. I think rose water is a lot gentler, but of course it depends what you are looking for.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Zombi, I ordered a couple of samples of Cataphract's cold cream, the lavender and the rose, and am very happy with them. My skin feels softer with no sensation of a residual oil film that I've felt when using Boots and Ponds (Boots more so than Ponds though). I am going to order some full sized jars now.

zombi

A-List Customer
Zombi, I ordered a couple of samples of Cataphract's cold cream, the lavender and the rose, and am very happy with them. My skin feels softer with no sensation of a residual oil film that I've felt when using Boots and Ponds (Boots more so than Ponds though). I am going to order some full sized jars now.
Oh, lovely, thanks for sharing! Do you mind if I ask you if you have very sensitive skin or not? I do, so I'm very happy Cataphract offers samples so I can make sure I don't have any problems with it first.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I don't consider myself to have naturally sensitive skin, but I'm an avid Retin-A user and chemical peeler, both of which heighten sensitivity to everything. I haven't had any issues with Cataphract's products in the 8+ days I've been using them. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Oh, lovely, thanks for sharing! Do you mind if I ask you if you have very sensitive skin or not? I do, so I'm very happy Cataphract offers samples so I can make sure I don't have any problems with it first.
They are scented so if you have any sensitivities issues, I imagine it would be from that. But the lavender one is supposed to be very calming for your skin and also they offer a fragrance free which I've purchased and like quite a bit. She also does custom mixes so I'm sure if you contact her and let her know about your sensitive skin, she should be able to work something for you.

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Wonderful Website....

I just ran across this website and I'm having a blast just browsing their wares!!

They carry Thayers Rose Water Witch Hazel (alcohol-free) & also Nivea Cream (Made in Germany)

The shipping isn't bad either.....

Lenore

Practically Family
So randomly, when I ran out of Boots, I picked up a jar of Jergen's. I don't know if I'm imagining it, but my skin seems to loooooove it. Part of me wonders if its psychosomatic or if I'm seeing what I want to see, as my grandmother's preferred cold cream was Jergen's. The first night I used it, I turned 8 years old again, and she was kissing me goodnight. A fabulous memory that caused quite a few happy tears. The initial emotional whammy is over, but it still makes me think of her each time I use it. And the fact that it seems like my skin is just adoring it doesn't hurt either!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I saw the Thayer's rose witch hazel at a local shop but it was $10! Yikes! I buy Dickinson's for around $2-$3, or generic witch hazel for $1.50 at Target.

I'm a beauty product junkie so I switch around quite often, but I'm back on cold cream and my favorite right now is Walgreen's brand. It is like the older Pond's formula, before they changed it. I use it as my only cleanser and makeup remover. When I get home from work I use a layer to take off my makeup, then a 2nd layer to "rinse" and tissue them off and follow with witch hazel. In the morning I apply a layer, let it sit for a few minutes while I brush my teeth and such, then I lightly tissue it off and hop in the shower, where I rinse my face. My skin loves this routine.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I'm still using Walgreens cold cream, and my skin still loves it. I now use a hot washcloth to remove it and I love that method so much more! I bought a bunch of cheap washcloths at the dollar store, so I don't worry about getting them greasy or stained. I just use them a couple of times, then throw them in a hot water wash.

I also recently bought Albolene cleanser, because of a recommendation on one of the vintage blogs I read. I haven't tried it yet, but am very anxious to. It is an old product and gets glowing reviews on MUA, including supposedly removing blackheads. A large industrial-looking tub runs about $10 at Walgreens.

2dha8tx.jpg

Last edited:

zombi

A-List Customer
^ Yeah, I use a hot washcloth to remove my cold cream. I bought a lot of cheap ones when I first tried OCM years ago -- while OCM didn't work for me, I was happy I had them because I use them for cold cream now!

I'm alternating between the Boots Skin Cream a friend sent me from the UK and my jar of Pond's, which is almost gone now. Now I'm interested in Albolene -- hmmm.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well I tried the Albolene. I didn't have a full face of makeup on, so it wasn't a true test, but so far I like it. It looks like white vaseline in the tub, but applies like a creamy oil. It has no scent and after removing it, my skin feels moisturized and clean. The Albolene website has several tips for facials/masks using it, so I'll try some of those.

One thing I did notice is that I used a much, much smaller amount than my regular cold cream. About a dime-sized amount cleansed my whole face with some product to spare. Very economical. I think it would be excellent for dry, sensitive skin that may not tolerate cold cream.

I'm alternating between the Boots Skin Cream a friend sent me from the UK and my jar of Pond's, which is almost gone now. Now I'm interested in Albolene -- hmmm.

I don't like Pond's new formula. I have a full jar and I've used it once, it just sits on the counter. It has a lot more ingredients and it seems more watery and the scent is different. My all-time favorite is Walgreens store brand, it uses the original Pond's formula. I have to admit that one thing I missed when using the Albolene was the rosewater fragrance of my regular cold cream.

So randomly, when I ran out of Boots, I picked up a jar of Jergen's. I don't know if I'm imagining it, but my skin seems to loooooove it. Part of me wonders if its psychosomatic or if I'm seeing what I want to see, as my grandmother's preferred cold cream was Jergen's. The first night I used it, I turned 8 years old again, and she was kissing me goodnight. A fabulous memory that caused quite a few happy tears. The initial emotional whammy is over, but it still makes me think of her each time I use it. And the fact that it seems like my skin is just adoring it doesn't hurt either!

What a sweet story! I like the Jergens, and the price is so good, but unfortunately it always seemed to burn my eyes.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Also lately I have been using the Boots Original skincare line (sold at Target stores here). I use the rose vanishing day cream, the bergamot night cream and the rose skin tonic. I *love* them. Between that and my cold cream, my skin looks and feels great. I'm not crazy about the Boots original cold cream, but I will definitely continue to use the other 3 products I mentioned.

Somewhat off topic: Last night when I was slathering on my cold cream, my husband referred to it as "face icing."

lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner