Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

pompsnpincurls

Familiar Face
Little bit bummed :(, I'm a pretty strict vegetarian and both of the Noxema formulas I came across have gelatin in them so I can't try it. I'll just have to keep a look out for a good summer time cold cream :).

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Well, I purchased a couple from the Salux shop - got them really quickly - and I must say, that it gives you skin soft as a puppy's tummy! It's a little voluminous to keep next to the tub, so I'll keep my trusty Buf-Puf for that and the Salux I can hang up in the shower. I'll have to try it with the cold cream...

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Lately I have been using Noxzema pretty exclusively - both the original formula and the one with added moisturizers. I must say that I'm quite happy with them. It cuts through and removes my makeup even faster than cold cream, and I like the lightweight, non-greasy formula for warmer weather when cold cream is just too heavy. I still love my cold cream, but I'll probably stick to Noxzema during the summer months... which is 2/3 of the year here.

I've also turned my husband onto it, and he now uses Noxzema for washing his face and for shaving. He has very oily skin and he loves it. It is also less expensive than shave gel, so that's an added bonus. :D

Last edited:

lframe

One of the Regulars
I used Noxema religiously as a teen. My great-grandmother used it until she passed at 102 and so did my grandma. Hmm...Makes me think I need to revisit my old friend.

Lenore

Practically Family
Okay.. I know I haven't posted in a while. Life is bussssssy. But I had to jump in here and tell you all of my happiness with Noxema.. Why did I ever stop using this stuff? Apart from two hormonal breakouts on my jaw, my skin is as clear as my daughters! With makeup, I look flawless. Not to mention, I love the tingly feeling I'm getting. I just washed my face and I cannot stop looking at it... I'm becoming even more vain.. if that's possible..

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I'm so glad it is working for you, Lenore! I notice you're in Texas also. I find Noxzema so much nicer to use than cold cream when it is sweltering outside. I love cold cream, but the heavy greasiness during August just isn't appealing.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
hello I'm new, i haven't tried any brand name cold creams i usually make my own :) and i use cold cream morning and night, at night a do the OCM then i put on a thick layer of cold cream before i go to sleep and sleep with it on, and i take it off the next morning with a hot washcloth :) it leaves my skin really soft :)

Flicka

One Too Many
I make my own cold cream too these days - I use a recipe I found in a book from 1925, only I use jojoba oil instead spermaceti. Not hard at all!

My skin went bonkers after I tried OCM, but I think that was mostly due to stress. Now I use my homemade cold cream, Boots' witch hazel & tea tree toner and finish with Nivea cream. I never had better skin.

lframe

One of the Regulars
I make my own cold cream too these days - I use a recipe I found in a book from 1925, only I use jojoba oil instead spermaceti. Not hard at all!

My skin went bonkers after I tried OCM, but I think that was mostly due to stress. Now I use my homemade cold cream, Boots' witch hazel & tea tree toner and finish with Nivea cream. I never had better skin.

Very nice. I would love it if you'd share the recipe! Or if you have, I'll search it out in the forums.

Flicka

One Too Many
Nope, I haven't, but I'm happy to!

The book is in Swedish, but the title can be roughly translated as The Housewife's Home Treatments & Good Advice and it was published in 1925. I got it from my sister who inherited it from her husband's grandmother (I think; some elderly relative of his anyway). Looks like this:

ddcfbba4.jpg

It contains lots of recipes for all sorts of beauty treatments. It recommends making your own facial cream as it will save you money and says that at least that will allow you to know what you're using. If anyone is curious, I'd be happy to post more recipes on my blog. :)

Anyway, the recipe for what it calls "so called cold cream":

100 g rose water
100 g almond oil
25 g spermaceti (I use jojoba oil)
25 g beeswax

(these aren't hard rules - the important thing is the ratio between the ingredients)

Anyway, the book gives a generic recipe for how to mix face creams:

Heat the oil and wax in a bowl on top of a pot of boiling water on the stove. When it's melted take it off the heat and add the warmed up rose water (NEVER pour cold water in hot fat!! ideally they both should be abt the same temperature, but as long as you drop in the water carefully you'll be fine even if it's slightly cooler - otherwise you could end up with a really nasty accident) drop by drop, while stirring vigorously. The recipes says you can add a few drops of rose oil if you like - just for the smell. Keep stirring until the cream's cooled off, to make sure it turns out smooth.

I store it in the fridge and it keeps fairly well. It's wonderful for removing makeup, but also for chapped lips and dry heels. I also use it as a hand treatment every now and then - it's great as a cuticle cream. It's really nice to know that it doesn't contain anything funky. I don't use the rose oil, because I rather enjoy the slightly honey-ish scent of the wax, but that's optional of course. It's fairly solid - not as 'fluffy' as store-bought creams but it's still easy to apply.

Last edited:

olive bleu

One Too Many
How cool that you make your own!

One question - how do you sleep with a layer on? Doesn't it get all over your pillow?

i was just reading somewhere recently( think it was actually on the label of an old jar of pond's) that it was recommended to use 2 applications of the cold cream. One to remove dirt and makeup and the second to leave on overnight to moisturize.I thought I would give this a try, but i think it started to run into my eyes..as within half an hour, my eyes were stinging like crazy and i had to go wash it off. Think I'll stick to my usual routine ..lol

virgi

New in Town
I've noticed that most cold creams dry up, finally after trying several, I went back to vaseline. It lasts, keeps my skin moisturized, and most importantly, it's cheap. It isn't for everyone, but it's the only thing that works for me....and it keeps the wrinkles at bay!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
i was just reading somewhere recently( think it was actually on the label of an old jar of pond's) that it was recommended to use 2 applications of the cold cream. One to remove dirt and makeup and the second to leave on overnight to moisturize.I thought I would give this a try, but i think it started to run into my eyes..as within half an hour, my eyes were stinging like crazy and i had to go wash it off. Think I'll stick to my usual routine ..lol

After taking off the first layer of cold cream and make up, then apply a lighter coat and let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then wipe that off. I do this about once a week and it really deep cleans my face.

pompsnpincurls

Familiar Face
Hey gals, I was looking online to see if I could find some discounted Pond's and I've found they have a new product! Or at least I think it's new, lol but I may just be out of the loop. It looks like they've changed their packaging, and that they now have "Ponds Cold Cream Cleanser" which according to the description seems to be the the old "Cool Classic", and now they have the "Cool Cucumber Classic" which is described as:

"The cool cucumber classic with all the benefits of cold cream in a lighter, non-greasy lotion formula,"

"This light, non-greasy cleanser infused with cucumber deep cleans and removes makeup while adding back essential moisture. For clean, soft and fresh skin in one easy routine, put your trust in a classic."

Has anyone tried this? I think it sounds wonderful for summer but I'm a little skeptical b/c the last time I tried a different cold cream my skin reacted badly. I might have to give it a go. Haha, and of course keep my fingers crossed (and my face clean ;) ).

rene_writer

Familiar Face
I'm reviving this old thread to ask if anyone else has tried making their own cold cream. I did it on a whim and I absolutely love it, more than the Jergens which this thread inspired me to try and which I used for over two years. This works for me as a makeup remover and a night time moisturizer, and best of all, I already had everything save for the beeswax. I've been using this for about eight months and I don't think I'll switch back. Unlike Ponds or Jergens, this really penetrates the skin, and although it will leave a fairly greasy feeling at first, if you can live with that for about ten minutes it will completely soak into your face.

Here's the recipe for a small batch:

1/2 C. Canola Oil
1 t. Vitamin E Oil (option - adds shelf life)
2 T. Beeswax Pellets

Melt together. You're supposed to use a double boiler, but I've found that a crock pot works better, especially if you're going to quadruple this recipe like I just did.

1/3 C. Distilled Water
1 Pinch Borax

Bring the water and borax to a boil. I just put it in the microwave. Then, pour the water into the oil mixture. Add any fragrance or essential oil you like. Mix with a stick blender until frothy. Then, quickly pour this into a heat safe container with an air tight lid. It will start to solidify quickly if you take it off the heat, so it's important to have you're container nearby.

The original recipe (which I've changed somewhat) said this keeps for two months, but I've kept it longer than that without any signs of it going off yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner