Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Bars

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Not my best of pictures...
Indybrown-vi.jpg
Mister Deckard, are the curled sides supposed to go on the outside of the collar?

Do i get it right that the straight side -------- generally goes in front
and the "flat-v shaped" side __ __ goes on the backside?
-----

Is there a way of telling the vintage of collarbars (decades)?
Certain styles, ect.. like the curled end ones is.. 30´s?

I know its a small gadget, but might be the most importaint one to wear :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
There's nothing slicker than a barred collar. The tab collar comes close, but the tabs aren't removable, which makes the shirt less versatile. Also, the bar blouses out your tie, which gives it more bounce and body.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hammelby said:
Mister Deckard, are the curled sides supposed to go on the outside of the collar?

Do i get it right that the straight side -------- generally goes in front
and the "flat-v shaped" side __ __ goes on the backside?
-----

Is there a way of telling the vintage of collarbars (decades)?
Certain styles, ect.. like the curled end ones is.. 30´s?

Hammelby, may I take a stab at answering your questions?

-- Yes, the curled sides are supposed to go on the outside of the collar.

-- Yes, the straight side goes in front.

-- Yes, you can generally tell the vintage of collar bars by two things: the length of the bar, and the type of scrollwork on it (if any). In most cases, the shorter the bar, the older it is. Collar bars from the '60s onward have tended to be longer, in order to accomodate thicker neckties. Also, collar bars with scrollwork designs on them tend to be from 1900 to the early '30s. (Yes, collar bars did exist in 1900. So did soft collars, though they were consigned to "sports clothes" status.)

-- Clip-on curled bars have existed since the 1930s. They're still made today.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
b_174342croppedc.jpg

Yay for collar bars! This is my one and only that I picked up at a J. Press in NYC for $6. I haven't seen this particular style online or anywhere else, but it was on a tray amongst all the diaper pins.

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
clip on tie.

Okay -

I know that people who would say something like this are not who I wear them for (its for the ladies, ooooo yea:cool: ), but it kinda bugs me....

Does anyone ever ask you if you are wearing a clip on tie? I get this all the time and its maddening. no, its not a clip on tie. in fact, my tie looks so good, i gotta wear this collar bar to show it off.

While Im obviously not worried about it, confidence-wise, its just an annoyance. And I was just curious if Im the only one who encounters this.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
yeah- I get the clip on tie thing too, or they think I'm wearing one of the ties that velcro on the back. it bugs me a bit, but at least I know how to tie a tie. So many people my age don't.

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
That reeks of class, my friend! And pardon my being a cad for a moment, but the price is right as well. A solid find, chum. You set the bar rather high with that one. No awful pun intended. Honestly.

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
Fletch -

Doesnt that kinda make it cooler though? To be so pro at pulling off the look, that you can afford to not have it on there in flashing neon. Its the tiny details that take it to the next level. And besides, he can just tell the men its for ladies to read only. "hey ladies, get real close...read my collar bar." Dang. Ive been in a relationship so long ive lost the touch. --Dont say that to the ladies.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
well- they didn't exactly sell souvinier t-shirts back then, did they.
I guess they slapped their logo on everything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner