Collar Bars

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Chamorro, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Tie Bar

Thanks for this thread! I had one in my box o'stuff and just took it out so I'll wear it next Sunday. I used to wear it, I liked the way it made the tie knot seem fuller.

2. Duck

Duck Practically Family

I really like the way they look. I don't have any, yet, but I am going to find some.:)

3. Brian Sheridan

Brian Sheridan One Too Many

Just won this on Ebay (not my picture). It says vintage but they don't date it. Anyone take a guess on a period?

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. don't know an era, but certainly vintage. The construction is pretty much identical to my 30s one, though the ends are different. The furthest left one of Feraud's picture above is the same as mine.

bk

5. manton

manton A-List Customer

One vote against. I much prefer the look of an actual collar pin. They are a pain to use (or can be) but they look so elegant:

[​IMG]

6. tandyellen

tandyellen New in Town

Pin collars

Pin collars are always available. Turn your readymade shirt collar or present shirts into pin collars at www.collarreplacement.com

7. Cobden

Cobden Practically Family

From what I've seen (and experimented with) is that the pin (which is usually just a safety pin type affair) usually just went through the collar, making it's own hole (which usually closes when the collar is ironed), without the need to have special holes in the collar. Some types of pins - such as the one's that look like dumbells, with one end twist-off-abale- need a special hole, of course, but the safety pin type can just go any point collar without stays.

The earliest I've seen them is WWI, when British Army and Royal Navy officers had to wear a gold pin as part of the regulations. This was largely t stop them from wearing stiff collars, which was the fashion, as opposed to the more practical soft collar. Of course, many Navy officers of the period ignored this (often wearing wing collars with number 5's), but it seems to have been worn universally by army officers

8. ramblinBOB

ramblinBOB One of the Regulars

thanks this i needed to to

9. Dr Doran

Dr Doran My Mail is Forwarded Here

My philosophy exactly. It would be annoying to embroider special little holes in a collar and I have so many dress shirts I'm hardly going to replace them. My collar pins (I have 3 now -- I only bought them over the last 5 months or so) go right through. The hole is truly tiny and it closes up even without an ironing. A screw-on dumbbell keeps the collar pin properly set so it does not go back through.

10. Vintage lover

Vintage lover A-List Customer

Might i ask where i can find a shirt which will be compatible with a collar bar?

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Were you diggin' your way to China when you stumbled across this thread? ;)

Seriously, some of the classic haberdashers like Paul Stuart, Ben Silver and maybe Brooks Brothers may be able to accommodate you. And, then there's always custom.

12. cufflinkmaniac

cufflinkmaniac A-List Customer

What do you think about collar bars?I have two (right side of the box next to the tie bars),but they're the clip on kind and I'd like to get the kind that you screw in to the shirt.I've seen some vintage (I know where to get modern,but I'd prefer vintage) screw on ones on eBay,but I need to find a compatible shirt.I haven't seen them OTR,so I suppose custom is the only option,or should a competent alterations tailor be able to make the necessary holes in the collar?Sorry for the dumb question.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

13. Bugsy

Bugsy One Too Many

I have quite a few collar bars, but I find they usually slip and go crooked. I much prefer collar pins. I have my father's antique one. Once in awhile you can find a shirt with eyelets in the collar so accommodate the pins. They are very elegant in the look of the collar and the way they make the knot of the tie stick out just so.

14. Edward

Edward Bartender

I wear clip-on collar bars as often as I have a clean shirt which will facilitate them. The screw-in or pin on types are undoubtedly better at staying in place (mind you, I've never had a problem with a decent clip on, providing the collar ends aren't too far apart, as with a full-cut collar shape as seen on "city" shirts these days). The draw bakc will be, as you have found, that it's not always easy to lay hands on a shirt that will accomodate them - you really would need to either go custom made, or at least have a tailor do some alterations for you.

15. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

I like them, but I have a hard time finding shirts with collars that I can wear them with.

Is it possible for the points of the collar to be too short for a collar bar? I have some old soft detachable collars, but the point is only a couple of inches, not the long sweeping point.

16. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Yep....and too much of a spread can be problematic as well.

17. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

The only way to find out is to try it.

It is possible a collar can be too short (below 1 1/2"?) to accept a bar.
    Considering the collar bar (a.k.a. collar stay) attaches closer to the top of the collar than the bottom point I suggest it depends more on the shape and angle of the collar than the length.

My dress shirts that accept a collar bar are due more to their shape and angle than length.

18. Cody Pendant

Cody Pendant One of the Regulars

I love collar bars!

I love collar bars! I only have the clip on kind.
    Here is an old thread on this subject: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5454
    Seems the pointy ones work without modification. A sewing machine with buttonhole capability should also let you do your own.

19. Highlander

Highlander A-List Customer

I like collar bars. But I only like them when I am wearing a vest. I think the tie needs to "bump" up a little and stick out from the collar and the shirt, and the vest seems to hold it better that way.