Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Bars

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Just won this on Ebay (not my picture). It says vintage but they don't date it. Anyone take a guess on a period?

bar.jpg
[/IMG]

manton

A-List Customer
One vote against. I much prefer the look of an actual collar pin. They are a pain to use (or can be) but they look so elegant:

astaire_.jpg

tandyellen

New in Town
Pin collars

Old Fogey UK said:
Does anyone know if it's possible still to buy shirts with a metal pin that goes thru' the collar ?
I've got plenty of "Donald Rumsfeld" tab collar shirts but haven't seen pin collar ones in any of the on-line catalogs.

Pin collars are always available. Turn your readymade shirt collar or present shirts into pin collars at www.collarreplacement.com

Cobden

Practically Family
From what I've seen (and experimented with) is that the pin (which is usually just a safety pin type affair) usually just went through the collar, making it's own hole (which usually closes when the collar is ironed), without the need to have special holes in the collar. Some types of pins - such as the one's that look like dumbells, with one end twist-off-abale- need a special hole, of course, but the safety pin type can just go any point collar without stays.

The earliest I've seen them is WWI, when British Army and Royal Navy officers had to wear a gold pin as part of the regulations. This was largely t stop them from wearing stiff collars, which was the fashion, as opposed to the more practical soft collar. Of course, many Navy officers of the period ignored this (often wearing wing collars with number 5's), but it seems to have been worn universally by army officers

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cobden said:
From what I've seen (and experimented with) is that the pin (which is usually just a safety pin type affair) usually just went through the collar, making it's own hole (which usually closes when the collar is ironed), without the need to have special holes in the collar. Some types of pins - such as the one's that look like dumbells, with one end twist-off-abale- need a special hole, of course, but the safety pin type can just go any point collar without stays.

My philosophy exactly. It would be annoying to embroider special little holes in a collar and I have so many dress shirts I'm hardly going to replace them. My collar pins (I have 3 now -- I only bought them over the last 5 months or so) go right through. The hole is truly tiny and it closes up even without an ironing. A screw-on dumbbell keeps the collar pin properly set so it does not go back through.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Were you diggin' your way to China when you stumbled across this thread? ;)

Seriously, some of the classic haberdashers like Paul Stuart, Ben Silver and maybe Brooks Brothers may be able to accommodate you. And, then there's always custom.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
What do you think about collar bars?I have two (right side of the box next to the tie bars),but they're the clip on kind and I'd like to get the kind that you screw in to the shirt.I've seen some vintage (I know where to get modern,but I'd prefer vintage) screw on ones on eBay,but I need to find a compatible shirt.I haven't seen them OTR,so I suppose custom is the only option,or should a competent alterations tailor be able to make the necessary holes in the collar?Sorry for the dumb question.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Bugsy

One Too Many
I have quite a few collar bars, but I find they usually slip and go crooked. I much prefer collar pins. I have my father's antique one. Once in awhile you can find a shirt with eyelets in the collar so accommodate the pins. They are very elegant in the look of the collar and the way they make the knot of the tie stick out just so.

Edward

Bartender
I wear clip-on collar bars as often as I have a clean shirt which will facilitate them. The screw-in or pin on types are undoubtedly better at staying in place (mind you, I've never had a problem with a decent clip on, providing the collar ends aren't too far apart, as with a full-cut collar shape as seen on "city" shirts these days). The draw bakc will be, as you have found, that it's not always easy to lay hands on a shirt that will accomodate them - you really would need to either go custom made, or at least have a tailor do some alterations for you.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I like them, but I have a hard time finding shirts with collars that I can wear them with.

Is it possible for the points of the collar to be too short for a collar bar? I have some old soft detachable collars, but the point is only a couple of inches, not the long sweeping point.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nick D said:
Is it possible for the points of the collar to be too short for a collar bar?
Yep....and too much of a spread can be problematic as well.

Feraud

Bartender
Nick D said:
I like them, but I have a hard time finding shirts with collars that I can wear them with.

Is it possible for the points of the collar to be too short for a collar bar? I have some old soft detachable collars, but the point is only a couple of inches, not the long sweeping point.
The only way to find out is to try it.

It is possible a collar can be too short (below 1 1/2"?) to accept a bar.
Considering the collar bar (a.k.a. collar stay) attaches closer to the top of the collar than the bottom point I suggest it depends more on the shape and angle of the collar than the length.

My dress shirts that accept a collar bar are due more to their shape and angle than length.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I like collar bars. But I only like them when I am wearing a vest. I think the tie needs to "bump" up a little and stick out from the collar and the shirt, and the vest seems to hold it better that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21