Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Bars

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mr Maltby said:
Its the tiny details that take it to the next level. And besides, he can just tell the men its for ladies to read only. "hey ladies, get real close...read my collar bar." Dang. Ive been in a relationship so long ive lost the touch.
I'll say. In New York these days, if you try that once you won't get a second chance. Not with the ladies, anyway.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Flapping collars

Then again, there's nothing more "vintage" than flapping collars. If you look at pix of FDR, his collar is always flapping in the breeze. Of course, in most of these shots he's riding in the back of some big 4 door concertible.
Speaking of World's Fair, I have a 1939 World's Fair spoon that my great aunt gave me in 1951 when I was four years old. I love it. It used to have blue enamel behind the image of the Trylon and Perisphere, but that's long gone. I also have a 1933 World's Fair spoon that my mother got at the Chicago Century of Progress Fair. It's fun to use them to stir the honey into my tea.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
:eek:fftopic: When I was up in Lancaster, PA, I saw a white porcelain enamel card table? dinner table? with the '39 fair logo in orange and blue at each place setting.

Feraud

Bartender
To add to the collective knowledge..
Picture6071.jpg

Picture6070.jpg

Picture6068.jpg

Robert Ohman

New in Town
collar pin shirts

Robert Talbot known, I think, mainly for ties has a retail outlet in Carmel-by-the Sea, CA. You can order custom made shirts in a wide variety of fabrics with an eyelet collar for $150.00-175.00.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Collar Bars - For them or against them?

I was thinking of getting a collar bar to wear after seeing them in two 1930's movies this past week.

What is everyone's thoughts on them?

I'm talking about the ones that clip on and not the ones for shirts with holes for them.

Does anyone have a place that sells 1930/40s ones (outside of the all powerful and magnficent Ebay)? Or ones of similar style?

Thanks!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Personally, I love collar bars.

My only gripe is that modern shirt collars really don't work all that well with them.

I've never seen them anywhere outside antique stores and ebay.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've seen them at both Macy's and Penney's in the last few months. Whether they'll have them if I look tonight is a different story. You never know what you will or won't find at different stores in the chains in different parts of the country, even within the same regions. <sigh> I really miss The Bon Marche...even though it's been part of Federated for years, it seems like the last year or two, since the "rebranding" as Macy's, it's careening downhill...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk