Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collector's Weekly on Vintage Men's Hats

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
All ebay images, and I see Scott in there.

This should be on the banner of the Hats section.
"To the consternation of many, baseball caps and Irish-style caps replaced many types of more formal men’s hats."

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
All in all a very accurate and informative piece. There are plenty of fine points, like exactly when the fedora came into use, and the distinction between the fedora and the homburg, that one could quibble with, but these are very small issues. No glaring errors jump out. A good start for anyone wanting to learn a little about hats.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Yeah, I know. Probably shouldn't even be talking about it. That's one where you wish you had the ability to do Jedi mind tricks on all the people that are watching it. "This isn't the hat you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along."

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
All in all a very accurate and informative piece. There are plenty of fine points, like exactly when the fedora came into use, and the distinction between the fedora and the homburg, that one could quibble with, but these are very small issues. No glaring errors jump out. A good start for anyone wanting to learn a little about hats.

It is a good start for people who don't know much about hats, but "Fedoras appeared in the 1920s" is quite inaccurate, especially given that we have an 1890 image of a fedora, labeled as such, posted right here in the lounge. And the story about Stetson creating his first hat for a hunting trip isn't in agreement with the actual story (which probably also is more myth than truth).

lci419

Familiar Face
Or,

"Top hats in various styles would remain popular until 1849...The bowler was common among all classes for most of the Victorian era, while the top hat was preferred by the upper classes and for formal occasions."

Funnily enough, I have seen thousands of photos of men from all classes wearing top hats throughout the entire 19th Century, and well into the 20th. Top hats were hardly relegated to "upper classes" and "formal occasions" during the 19th Century after 1849. :eusa_doh:

And this,

"and a major innovation in summer wear came at about the turn of the century—straw hats."

Uhhh...maybe the turn of the 20th Century...B.C.! I'm sure the Romans and other ancient civilizations would have been shocked to learn that they couldn't possibly of had straw hats 2000 years before their "innovation." :rolleyes:

Chinaski

One Too Many
Mario, I liked to kid myself that I was the only Lounge member that knew about Collectors Weekly, and that nobody else could see the cream of the Ebay crop with a quick glance at the website. I guess the cat's out of the bag. lol

Come on folks, even a novice like me knew about Collectors Weekly. I simply found it by google-ing "vintage hats" one day. [BTW, I wonder how to spell "google-ing" and if "google-ing" is officially considered a verb...yet.] As far as I know, they only show ebay auctions which makes me think the site is somehow more of a function of to ebay's business model than just a cool site targeted to people with an interest in vintage. Still...a cool site. I visit it daily.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Chinaski said:
Mario, I liked to kid myself that I was the only Lounge member that knew about Collectors Weekly, and that nobody else could see the cream of the Ebay crop with a quick glance at the website. I guess the cat's out of the bag. lol

Darn! I'm so sorry... :D

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Collector's Weekly

CW is a nice site where you can see quickly a cross section of what is on Ebay. BUT a ball cap belongs in the hat listings the same way a pair of holey jeans and a ripped hoodie belongs in "Tuxedoes for sale" listings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran