Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coming this fall...Secretariat!!!

chum

Familiar Face
If you do not know, Secretariat is considered by many to be the Greatest Race-horse of all time. He won the "Triple Crown" in 1973. His clinching victory in The Belmont Stakes is unbelievable!

Kentucky Derby: Last to first! Still standing track record!
Preakness: Last to first! Official Timer machine malfunctioned but all race enthusiasts know he also has that record!
Bellmont Stakes: Shattered track record by 2.35 seconds and beat the field by...are you ready?: THIRTY ONE LENGTHS!!!

First non-human in ESPN's Top 100 Athletes of the 20th Century...#35!

After autopsy, it was discovered his heart weighed over 22 pounds! The largest ever recorded!

Watch some You Tube videos: He was so amazing it will make you cry!

Secretariat%20The%20Photo%20Double%20Signed.jpg

Secretariat%20onto%20Track%20Bel.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
His owner's nickname for him was Sexy, and he certainly was. They say he knew when his picture was being taken. He was a real star.
It's the heart that makes a race horse. It's the ability to refresh the muscle cells with oxygen and take away the metabolic waste that enables a horse to really pound down the stretch. A horse's heart rate can vary from a low of like less than 20 beats per minute, to about 250 or more per minute. Powerful but delicate animals. The 1984 Kentucky Derby winner, Swale, dropped dead eight days after the Belmont Stakes, presumably of a heart attack, but this was never proved. That's just how delicate horses are.
Secratariat was the greatest race horse ever, but was only a middling stud. His offspring were fairly succesful, but there were no great champions that he sired.
P.S. Chum: You might be interested to know that my grandfather, who was a jockey (see my avatar) won the 1903 St. Louis Derby when he was only 12, riding apprentice weight. It was the biggest win of his career. He was a great horseman, but not a great jockey.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I wonder if the producers are looking for some of that Seabiscuit money. Still, I'll probably check it out if only to gaze at the beautiful Diane Lane.

[YOUTUBE]BPToFOWngco[/YOUTUBE]

The 70's wardrobe may bring a chuckle as well.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
It's the heart that makes a race horse. It's the ability to refresh the muscle cells with oxygen and take away the metabolic waste that enables a horse to really pound down the stretch.

So it is with humans, too. It's also the portions you have of various muscle fibers--fast twitch (speed) and slow-twitch (endurance). I would guess that Secretariat was born with a lot of high-twitch muscle, as well as a very large heart.

rustedmetal

New in Town
The ESPN Classic program about Secretariat is a favorite of mine. Can't wait for the film. There was just something magical about that horse.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I always though that it was a little sad that he didn't get to race as a adult horse, a three year old is just a teenager in horse years and if ever there was a horse borned to race it was Secretariat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24