Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

D

Deleted member 12480

Its not a comment, but i nearly died of excitement when I saw a dark-haired, victory rolled, porcelain faced beauty in Topshop (London) on Thursday. I gave her a wide smile but she looked mostly alarmed... I wasn't particularly vintage looking.. well, I had pincurled hair and 50s deckchair-style striped dress, but I didn't have any 'defining' vintage attire, like victory rolls..

Maybe she is on here, If so - speak up!
I was kind of hard to miss - Bright blue and white stripes...!

xxxx

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Annie, that reminds me of something my ex-boyfriend said today. He was saying how he met a girl who had "super looking rolls, really pretty like that Fleur lass". Yet he did not comment once in the time we were together about my attempts at victory rolls! HMPH!

D

Deleted member 12480

perhaps because your hair is so fantastic and healthy-looking that you have no need of victory rolls to make it look beautiful.

OR,

perhaps boys are rubbish and always will be rubbish and chivalry is dead!

xxx

Kiri

One of the Regulars
You're lucky Annie, even if she didn't respond. I haven't seen a single person dressed vintage in my town. Oh, except there's this adorable old lady I always see in the thrift stores. She rocks the Veronica Lake peekaboo and was wearing a tied wrap around type 40's shirt and some high waisted pants. I've seen her a couple other times but I dont' remember what she was wearing. I guess the first time was the most vivid. I want to talk to her someday, but I'm too shy, and I'm worried she might be slightly deaf or something like many old people are. And then she might not hear my compliment and I'd have to repeat myself. That's a silly thing to be scared of isn't it?

The girl you saw sounds lovely though Annie! I hope she's on the lounge. :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Do It

Kiri said:
You're lucky Annie, even if she didn't respond. I haven't seen a single person dressed vintage in my town. Oh, except there's this adorable old lady I always see in the thrift stores. She rocks the Veronica Lake peekaboo and was wearing a tied wrap around type 40's shirt and some high waisted pants. I've seen her a couple other times but I dont' remember what she was wearing. I guess the first time was the most vivid. I want to talk to her someday, but I'm too shy, and I'm worried she might be slightly deaf or something like many old people are. And then she might not hear my compliment and I'd have to repeat myself. That's a silly thing to be scared of isn't it?

The girl you saw sounds lovely though Annie! I hope she's on the lounge. :)
I think you would make her day if you were to compliment her on her dress style after all do you think most people truly appreciate it? I say go for it if she can't hear you at least you tried but don't assume she won't.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
This just happened to me.

deleteduser said:
Its not a comment, but i nearly died of excitement when I saw a dark-haired, victory rolled, porcelain faced beauty in Topshop (London) on Thursday. I gave her a wide smile but she looked mostly alarmed... I wasn't particularly vintage looking.. well, I had pincurled hair and 50s deckchair-style striped dress, but I didn't have any 'defining' vintage attire, like victory rolls..

xxxx
Ok well I was just swinging into one of my favorite mid century vintage decor shops to see about a chair that was supposed to go on sale. I was in total mom exercise gear as I had met up with a friend and walked our kids around a lake together and I was in a hurry to get to the store and see about this chair as I knew their sale was starting that day. The store was full and not a big space and at the counter was a gal all decked out in 40's attire I was embarrassed to be seen in public and wasn't really expected the crowd I just wanted the chair. Oh and the chair had already sold too.

D

Deleted member 12480

Land-O-LakesGal said:
Ok well I was just swinging into one of my favorite mid century vintage decor shops to see about a chair that was supposed to go on sale. I was in total mom exercise gear as I had met up with a friend and walked our kids around a lake together and I was in a hurry to get to the store and see about this chair as I knew their sale was starting that day. The store was full and not a big space and at the counter was a gal all decked out in 40's attire I was embarrassed to be seen in public and wasn't really expected the crowd I just wanted the chair. Oh and the chair had already sold too.

Oh no! Maybe you shou;d swagger in in your absolute finery and see if she even recognises you!

xxx

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Actually i got a really nice compliment today, i went to the big seaside town near me to have a good rummage in the junk shops and there was a rockabilly band playing on the promenade as it's the tailend of the local summer festival and i stopped and had a watch as they were ace. When the guy finished the song, the bass player grabbed the mike and said, "Hey cool kitty over there, come and have a dance and stop hiding"! I went purple and beat a quick retreat, but with a spring in my step i have to say. Although i was the only girl in vintage clothes and everyone else was in football shirts and trainers so i probably did stick out like a sore thumb!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I went to my friends Hen party on Saturday night and I wore my grey Suzy Perette dress with full crinoline underneath and my red (make that VERY red) swing coat and my hair in pin curls - I got a lot of (what I hope were) appreciative stares and lots of nice compliments from the girls at the party - I got a lot of Betty Draper and Mad Men comparisons and my lovely friend said that Grace Kelly would be proud - that made my day!

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Miss sofia said:
Actually i got a really nice compliment today, i went to the big seaside town near me to have a good rummage in the junk shops and there was a rockabilly band playing on the promenade as it's the tailend of the local summer festival and i stopped and had a watch as they were ace. When the guy finished the song, the bass player grabbed the mike and said, "Hey cool kitty over there, come and have a dance and stop hiding"! I went purple and beat a quick retreat, but with a spring in my step i have to say. Although i was the only girl in vintage clothes and everyone else was in football shirts and trainers so i probably did stick out like a sore thumb!

You should have hopped up there and showed them real vintage! I bet you would have gotten alot of compliments as well as questions..you never know who you'll meet!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yeah i should have done haha, it's always good to meet new people, (and they certain were a bunch of handsome fellas and i'm single, doh)! But i'm still finding my feet with the dressing top to toe vintage thing, and being confident with it, so it did do my self-esteem the world of good,(and boy has that taken a battering this year i have to say, boys eh)! So i just took the compliment and ran that was about all i could cope with! x

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I have a coworker who sneers at me whenever I wear anything she doesn't like. She doesn't discriminate, I've gotten the wrinked nose and disdainful huff in vintage, vintage-inspired, and things that didn't look even remotely vintage. So rude.

But as one of my other co-workers has pointed out, at least I wear clothes that fit.

Whenever Mary sneers at me, I check my posture, stand about half-an inch taller, look her over from head to toe and give her a small smile without saying a word. It drives her nuts.

Whenever I see someone wearing something that really suits them, I try to make a point of letting them know. I've had complete strangers make my day by telling me they thought my hair was pretty or they liked my shoes, if I can pass on the good feelings, all the better.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
CherryWry said:
I have a coworker who sneers at me whenever I wear anything she doesn't like. She doesn't discriminate, I've gotten the wrinked nose and disdainful huff in vintage, vintage-inspired, and things that didn't look even remotely vintage. So rude.

But as one of my other co-workers has pointed out, at least I wear clothes that fit.

Whenever Mary sneers at me, I check my posture, stand about half-an inch taller, look her over from head to toe and give her a small smile without saying a word. It drives her nuts.

Whenever I see someone wearing something that really suits them, I try to make a point of letting them know. I've had complete strangers make my day by telling me they thought my hair was pretty or they liked my shoes, if I can pass on the good feelings, all the better.
Yes good on you, i always compliment ladies in my shop if they have a nice outfit, etc, or have obviously had their hair done, you have to add to good karrma in the world where possible! Good for you on standing proud with your co-worker as well, it's probably a case of the green-eyed monster anyway.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
CherryWry said:

I totally agree - someone saying "those are pretty earrings" can change your whole week around. So I do it whenever possible!

Your co-worker is nuts. You don't always have to like what other people wear, but to actually sneer? Woman has problems.

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
CherryWry said:

I really hate when co-workers do that!

And I think it is great that you make it a point to compliment others. I try to do the same. I think the world would be such a better place if people tried complimenting each other!:D

D

Deleted member 12480

Puzzicato said:
You don't always have to like what other people wear, but to actually sneer? Woman has problems.

hahaha this made me laugh!

xxx

FAYEZY123

New in Town
Miss sofia said:

Hi Miss Sofia! Oh my god! This is quite possibly the coolest way to compliment someone ever! You must have really stood out and looked amazing! Go you! :eusa_clap

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
deleteduser said:

xxxx
Oh dammit, I was very briefly in Topshop on Friday afternoon - I was hoping it was me, ha ha! Although I'm not dark haired and I'm not a beauty, I did have rolls and high-waisted trousers with a nautical top ;)

If you had grinned at me I would probably have grinned back!

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
bellabella327 said:
I think it is great that you make it a point to compliment others. I try to do the same. I think the world would be such a better place if people tried complimenting each other!:D
I always compliment other people, but I have to say I do often get strange looks, as if I'm a mad stalker. People don't seem to like strangers talking to them, they just think you're weird. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy