Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Puzzicato

One Too Many
RodeoRose said:
Today I went to this great big museum that focuses on rural life/Americana type stuff, and it was so funny-- many exhibit guides/attendants (all of whom were 60+ years old and probably long-time Vermonters) seemed to kind of latch on to me when I'd walk into an exhibit. I was wearing a brass-buttoned liberty print 50s shirtdress with a little Victorian lace collar, Remix wedges and crocheted stockings, with a ribbon in my ponytail-- I must've screamed "history nerd", ha ha.

Ooh - where do you get crocheted stockings?

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Puzzicato said:
Ooh - where do you get crocheted stockings?

I buy my crocheted tights at Urban Outfitters, and I tore one pair around the elastic, so I just chopped the top part off and made stockings, ha ha! I don't know how long they'll last 'til the garter buckle tears the crochet diamonds though...

Edith

New in Town
My first lovely and funny comment

Hello Ladies,
i'm relatively new to vintage, and only started to dress vintagey.
Yesterday i went to sell cupcakes on a event sporting my uniform and a Rita hairdo. A gentleman came up to me and couldn't stop smiling. He said that i "look like from this movie from the 50's. You know where the firemen only have to save cats from the tree.." (He ment Pleasantville from 1998) lol
I loved the comment, since i normally just get stares [huh]

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I went into a vintage shop recently, and the owner said "you fit right in..you belong here" and took my photo. T'was nice! I was wearing a pink & white 50s day dress, 50s jewelery, etc.

X
BD

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I got a comment just now over the fence when i went to bring the washing in, wearing rollers and fifties housecoat, "Is Marlon Brando taking you out tonight?" - from my elderly next door neighbour. (A sweetheart it has to be said). At least he got the era right and well, we can only dream can't we?;)

D

Deleted member 12480

got two incredulous looks from middleaged men in a car and it was really the wrong sort of look. Shudder. Xx

Lillemor

One Too Many
Honey Bee said:
I was rather tickled that the nice man in Tractor Supply quickly came to my aide last week when I first walked through the door, asked me what I needed, led the way down the store, hefted the feed sacks into the cart and then into my truck for me...usually I do this myself, but I am thinking the vintage dress and shoes must have made an impression!
Anytime I can get a guy to haul it into the truck for me is a compliment!
(The Mister always hauls it out when I get home ;) )

Next time I'll be leaving the overalls at home, you can bank on that lol

It's my experience that just looking somewhat ladylike without it being vintage does get a lot of doors opened for me among other things. People are also more polite towards me. Well, mature people are. Some younger people see it as an opportunity to make sure I know they don't think I'm any better than them. Not that that's intentionally implied by the way I dress.:rolleyes:

About ten years ago I had a bob like now and my style was retro 20s-30s and I had a few nice coats that fitted the style (don't ask me what I did with them) and each time I wore them I prayed that a certain neighbor wouldn't be out driving. He made it a point of driving close by and in to any water/dirt/snow to splash it up on me. Don't know what that was about. Don't live in that area any more.

It's been raining overnight. I'm wearing a purple plaid dress as a skirt with a red vintage slipover and matching cardigan, purple leggings with socks over them and maryjanes, the cardigan has abelone buttons and I'm wearing abelone earrings. Nothing very formal but it suits the fun mood I'm in today. An elderly gentleman got off his bike and stepped into muddy grass so I wouldn't have to step in large a water puddle behind the church on the paved walkway to the school where I drop our middle son off in the morning.

On the way back home, every senior lady stopped and nodded then looked down at my purple legs that match my skirt and that appeared to amuse them.

D

Deleted member 12480

'it looks like you have a line of dried blood down the back of each leg.'

Never walking back with the boyf's mates ever again..

Xx

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Miss sofia said:
I got a comment just now over the fence when i went to bring the washing in, wearing rollers and fifties housecoat, "Is Marlon Brando taking you out tonight?" - from my elderly next door neighbour. (A sweetheart it has to be said). At least he got the era right and well, we can only dream can't we?;)

That is just so sweet! :)

GinnyDee

New in Town
I often get asked if i'm on a set for grease..UGH!! OR if i'm headed to a costume party. People in Toronto can be particularly rude. It seems like they are implying that I look costumey. The newest thing is asking if i'm in "Mad Men"...to which I reply "I Wish" because their wardrobe stylist blows my mind.

Veronica

New in Town
deleteduser said:

Never walking back with the boyf's mates ever again..

Xx

High-class comments from elegants gentlemens I guess...
... Boys...Nowadays...[huh]

Tulip

New in Town
The gentlemen of my local market have nicknamed me 'Princess'.

I'm not sure it's a compliment.

Although, one lovely chap bashfully commented that I resembled 'one of those old movie star types'. Aw.

BoPeep

Practically Family
deleteduser said:

Good grief!!! If he can't appreciate seamed stockings, then he has no clue about what makes a woman glamorous! Seamed stockings rank right up there with garter belts and pearls! Completely disregard his opinion - on everything!

D

Deleted member 12480

Paha, not the boyf, just his odd friend. I didn't bother taking it to heart - teenage boys!!

xx

Lillemor

One Too Many
GinnyDee said:
I often get asked if i'm on a set for grease..UGH!! OR if i'm headed to a costume party. People in Toronto can be particularly rude. It seems like they are implying that I look costumey. The newest thing is asking if i'm in "Mad Men"...to which I reply "I Wish" because their wardrobe stylist blows my mind.

Well, any historical style will appear costumey to the average Joe and Jane who isn't in to it and I understand it from their perspective but why it should bother them is what I don't understand. I like your reply to the Mad Men comments.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I'm wearing a vintage repro grey knit sweater with strawberries on it today...that's getting a lot of comments from people in cafes/shops. One man said it was 'classic', and that the red of the strawberries suited my complexion and made the sweater 'pop.' Men do notice such things! ;0

X
BD

Lillemor

One Too Many
Black Dahlia said:
I'm wearing a vintage repro grey knit sweater with strawberries on it today...that's getting a lot of comments from people in cafes/shops. One man said it was 'classic', and that the red of the strawberries suited my complexion and made the sweater 'pop.' Men do notice such things! ;0

X
BD

My husband notices such things too even if he doesn't get what I'm doing.lol

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
The best comment I've ever gotten as this weekend. One of the owners of a certain bridesmaid dress company invited me to NY to take me shopping cause she loves my vintage style so much.
This is from a woman who hates everyone!

Everytime I walked passed the stand she was all " :eek: did you make that? Its GORGEOUS!"

so I've been feeling rather awesome all weekend :cool2: LOL

KnoxvilleRoxie

New in Town
pigeon toe said:
Lizzie, that has got to be the cutest story ever!

I usually get a lot of nice compliments on how I look like Bettie Page, or whatever vintage pin-up or movie star jumps into peoples' minds.

And then I get a lot of bizarre questions like, "Are you representing the 60's?". And once a co-worker asked me if I was European, which totally confused me. I thought she meant if I was of European descent, but she actually thought I was from Europe because I had such a "unique sense of style"! I guess she confused a slight Long Island accent with a French one!

Agreed! I always get the 60's rather than 50's! Its become more of a style now so I think alot more people would mention Katy Perry or Dita than a Betty or a Rita.
But after all the effort we got through worth it to get some compliments right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo