Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Black Dahlia said:
Sounds like a good hubby! ;0

I kind of wish the strawberries were in a different position on the sweater...if you get my drift! *lol*

X
BD

Ah! Well we know men notice those... I think when I get my hair cut next time I will pin a badge on my bosom saying "I've had my hair done" to remind my husband to comment.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato said:
Ah! Well we know men notice those... I think when I get my hair cut next time I will pin a badge on my bosom saying "I've had my hair done" to remind my husband to comment.

OMG too funny Puzzicato! I'm always surprised when men notice changes, especially when they are minute.

Today, my sweater has a 'strategically placed bow.' *lol* Who makes sweaters this way? Perhaps I'll get an "I like your bow" comment today!

What a laugh!

X
BD

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Today I'm wearing a 1950s blue cotton day dress with white embroidery, and some "vintage-inspired" canvas peeptoe wedges that came from Payless on clearance a few years ago:
358vwoj.jpg

So far, our receptionist has commented that I'm wearing her favorite dress - she's in her 70s and always compliments me if I'm wearing something vintagey. My boss (who is pretty "up" on fashion) asked if I had a new dress, and then commented that the 1950s style dresses were popular for fall and that I looked stylish. I giggled when I told her it was actually *from* the 50s. lol

D

Deleted member 12480

Just had this posted on my formspring! lol

why do you dress like my grandma does? its horrid. your ugly

my response:

because your grandma has more fashion sense than you!

Also, the same kid who told me it looked like i had a line of blood down each leg, flicked my hair and said 'i like your hair its poofy..' haha, probably an attempt to make ammends for the blood comment... lol

xxx

lareine

A-List Customer
Annie, I love your response to such a rude comment. Teenagers (I'm assuming that was a teenager) can be complete morons. Some definitely grow up faster than others... Be glad you're in the former camp :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yes, i liked your response Annie, great stuff, although that immature, ignorant post, barely warranted one! If you can't say anything nice don' t say anything at all i always feel. x

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
Was out in Dublin last night for a few drinks with friends and decided to go rather 50's with a red pencil skirt, black off the shoulder top and *sob* flats (due to an accident in work to my foot)...anyhoo one male friend commented that I looked like an old Hollywood film star.

The best bit was when a complete stranger stopped me on the stairs and just couldn't believe how I was dressed! She got me to stand at the top of the stairs and kept going on about how "old Hollywood" I was and that she wished she was gay again (she *may* have been a bit drunk) but I still took it as a compliment!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I don't really dress vintage, I just wear vintage hats. I get a lot of looks when I wear my hats, guys, especially the guys in the hip hop crowd just stare and don't know what to make of me or ask why I'm wearing that type of hat. lol..I get a kick out of it every time.

Lenore

Practically Family
That might possibly be in reference to Evan Rachel Wood who has lovely ginger hair and plays the Vampire Queen of Louisiana, Sophie-Anne, on HBO's True Blood. I would take it as a complement.

baby_butterfly said:
I have often been called the 'vampire girl' despite not having black hair (its ginger).

and 'What a cool costume' when I have been out in town too.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I did a segment for a show about fashion approx. two years ago. I have never seen it but it has been airing on Current TV. A girl on Facebook sent me a note to say that she liked my style and I could be an extra on Mad Men. I don't do 60's style very often, exspecially now but this outfit was very 60's and I was really flattered.

Also if any one watches Current and happens to catch the show can you please tell me the name of the program. I would like to see it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
By now I thought I'd heard everything, but I got one this afternoon that was a new one -- we were hosting an art lecture at work, and someone came in, looked me over, and said in this really spacy voice "You're a ghost out of the past." I said "thanks," and she said "No, I'm serious. I sense a real energy..."

I wanted to say "No, I've just been working up in the booth and might be a little sweaty," but I bit my tongue.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Haha, LizzieMaine, you should've said it!!

I've been asked if I was in a play a couple of times. I think that one's kind of odd; I mean, who goes to the grocery store or whatever in their theatre costume?

I've gotten three separate Zooey Deschanel comparisons within the last week; she's a cute girl I guess, but not what I'm going for at all. Maybe I need to grow out my bangs, haha.

This week I also had my first online creeper run-in... several of my flickr photos were favorited by someone I'd never heard of, so I checked out their other favorite photos, and they were all of young women, many in, err, suggestive positions. Judging by his personal pictures in his photostream, this user is an older man. *yucky* *yucky* *yucky* Of course I blocked him, but the whole experience made my skin crawl. So girls can't wear seamed stockings and pretty dresses without becoming sexually objectified? Almost makes me want to start wearing shapeless ankle-length smocks every day (I said almost!).

D

Deleted member 12480

haha lareine, miss sofia, I like having formspring because i know teenagers will be that sad and think i care! I am genuinely filled with delight when some form of abuse appears, its such fun writing a comeback. I realise this may sound pretty sad, but I can't help myself! Particularly being a bit of a weirdo, i get a fair few 'you are soo overdressed' comments but also lots of 'you're really pretty' to balance it out.

Its cool!

xx

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
oooh I love true blood!
I dont really mind the vampire comment, I love vampire fiction and such :)

Lenore said:
That might possibly be in reference to Evan Rachel Wood who has lovely ginger hair and plays the Vampire Queen of Louisiana, Sophie-Anne, on HBO's True Blood. I would take it as a complement.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
deleteduser said:
haha lareine, miss sofia, I like having formspring because i know teenagers will be that sad and think i care! I am genuinely filled with delight when some form of abuse appears, its such fun writing a comeback. I realise this may sound pretty sad, but I can't help myself! Particularly being a bit of a weirdo, i get a fair few 'you are soo overdressed' comments but also lots of 'you're really pretty' to balance it out.

Its cool!

xx
I know what you mean, sometimes when i stand outside my shop doing the window display or whatever, i get in that kind of 'bring it on' mood, as in my liitle town there are plenty of gawpers or people that just have to make some kind of crass comments, but then the people who are genuinely complementary do cancel that out. xx

annet

One of the Regulars
i get a lot of nice comments from old ladies, who say 'girls today rarely dress that well"

my little brother hates it and doesn't miss a chance to tell me i look like a grandmother. my mother is happy that i grew out of the jeans and sweaters into something more elegant, but doubts the choice for vintage clothing.

my boyfriend LOVES it, and so do his parents. they like that i wear dresses, skirts and heels on a daily basis and not just on special occasions.

random people on the street? always been the same. they either ignore me or just scream someting like 'omg you're so ugly!' when passing by. this has happened since i was fourteen, so i don't think it has anything to do with how i dress though.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I had a lot of lovely comments at Goodwood Revival on Staurday but my favourite was from a 60-something woman as I was leaving. She was WRVS volunteer on the gate collecting used wristbands and she stopped me and said "You look so... so... REAL!" lol lol

This was my outfit:

5002576916_c8a26bbee8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo