Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Trumpetina

New in Town
I am sure this is posted throughout the thread dozens of times, my classic comment is: "You must be in a play" or "what kind of religion are you?"

ha ha! The answers, of course, being NOPE and THAT'S IRRELEVANT :D

I like when people want to take their photo with me, doesn't happen often, but every once in awhile.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
annet said:
sorry to hear that! i love that outfit on a guy, when it fits well of course...

Actually i have a friend who has said much the same thing, he has a penchant for knitted forties jerseys, tweeds etc, and gets loads of "Oi grandad!" comments mainly from younger people. I suppose to the 'yoof' this is the point of reference. Still Ben, you should keep wearing the outfits, for every negative comment there are probably plenty of people who have looked at you and thought you have looked splendid but been too shy to approach you and tell you.

For the record that thirties look always makes my knees go funny ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
benstephens said:
I think this phenomenon is worse when you are a man. One of the looks I like is the 1930s Sports jacket, Flannels, tie and jumper/pullover.
T
Being that men do not really change their style, most old men wear .... Sports jacket, Flannels, tie and jumper/pullover.

So, people do not think I am dressing in a 1930s style, but just like an old man! So, I tend to avoid this style unless I am off to a 'period' event.

Kindest Regards

Ben

The fact that a grown man can't walk down the street in an ensemble like that without being hooted at is a sure sign that the Apocalypse can't be far off.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Seconded, this is the age when walking around wearing trousers with the crutch hanging down by your knees and your underwear spilling over top is considered acceptable attire, where are those seven horsemen when you need them?:eusa_doh:

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
annet said:
haha yeah my little brother always does that! whenever i say some old lady gave me a compliment again he just yells: "but when are you finally going to understand that it's a bad thing when you get compliments from THEM?? it means you look prudish and old!"

and then i say that i love them, because it means i remind them of how they were BEFORE THEY BECAME GRANNIES. he just goes silent after that.

silly teenager with his silly half-ass mustache
Some people just can't get their heads around the fact that old people were once YOUNG people.

However, I kind of like the fact that lots of old ladies have obviously stuck with the style they wore in their youth, and I have started having really bad hair envy of old ladies, or 'glamour nannas' as I like to call them. Should ask them wear they get their hair done. Maybe not the blue rinse though...

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Miss sofia said:
Seconded, this is the age when walking around wearing trousers with the crutch hanging down by your knees and your underwear spilling over top is considered acceptable attire, where are those seven horsemen when you need them?:eusa_doh:

I honestly don't get the point of the trousers halfway down your backside look - I saw a young guy (no more than 18) walking down the street and his jeans were pulled right down pretty much under his rear and you could see most of his underwear and could see his rear through his drawers - he clearly thought he was the business. Bizarre.

I remember a time when I was younger that if someone saw your undies out in the street you would die of mortification..........

annet

One of the Regulars
Miss Golightly said:
I honestly don't get the point of the trousers halfway down your backside look - I saw a young guy (no more than 18) walking down the street and his jeans were pulled right down pretty much under his rear and you could see most of his underwear and could see his rear through his drawers - he clearly thought he was the business. Bizarre.

I remember a time when I was younger that if someone saw your undies out in the street you would die of mortification..........

my youngest brother is sixteen now, and around fourteen he wanted that underwear look so badly... so he just literally pulled his pants down to halfway his butt. you could still tell they were not meant to be worn that way because there was actually a butt roll over them. he would also walk funny in order to keep them up. whenever we confronted him with it he just said 'i can't help it, they just fall down like that!'

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I quite agree Miss G.

Rocketblast - made me laugh about the 'Glamour-mamas' - most of the ladies i see walking past my shop, that i think have got it going on tend to be the older ladies who know what suits them and just wear it really well. Yesterday i had to complement one older lady at least seventy, who was wearing red capris, red jersey and ballet pumps with grey bobbed hair and she looked amazing. I also have one customer, love her, who is my total style inspiration, she is in her eighties and has two tone hair, with a great white Mallen streak down the middle and always wears black and white clothes to match, with lace tights and patent court shoes and the womans walks with two walking sticks! :eusa_clap

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
Not only is it ridiculous but they usually have really unattractive underwear on too! And I find it even more bizarre when they are wearing a belt, but it's underneath their bum. Must be really uncomfortable.

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
Miss sofia said:
I quite agree Miss G.

Rocketblast - made me laugh about the 'Glamour-mamas' - most of the ladies i see walking past my shop, that i think have got it going on tend to be the older ladies who know what suits them and just wear it really well. Yesterday i had to complement one older lady at least seventy, who was wearing red capris, red jersey and ballet pumps with grey bobbed hair and she looked amazing. I also have one customer, love her, who is my total style inspiration, she is in her eighties and has two tone hair, with a great white Mallen streak down the middle and always wears black and white clothes to match, with lace tights and patent court shoes and the womans walks with two walking sticks! :eusa_clap
Whenever I see old ladies with cool hair I always want to compliment them, and also want to befriend them and find out their life histories and what they were doing during the war... but I'm too shy.
I hope I've got the energy to get dolled up when I'm old, I don't want to become a slob.

annet

One of the Regulars
Rocketblast said:
Not only is it ridiculous but they usually have really unattractive underwear on too! And I find it even more bizarre when they are wearing a belt, but it's underneath their bum. Must be really uncomfortable.

the belt is usually quite tight so the pants don't fall down... that weird o-legged walk is for the same reason.

Octavia

Familiar Face
Rocketblast said:
Some people just can't get their heads around the fact that old people were once YOUNG people.
THIS.

Also, I notice too frequently on reality talent competitions that if a young contestant dresses mature and classy, they're told by the judges to dress their age (supposing this makes them more "marketable").

I've had co-workers suggest to me I should dress younger and stress that my style does not fit my age. This about the only negative comment I've gotten - but this bothers me. It comes off a little presumptuous to me.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Speaking as someone who used to wear extremely low-slung jeans as a teenager (I would wear one normal pair of knickers and then a pair of fancy or plain hot pants which were the ones 'on show', so no one actually saw my undies, though it looked like they did), I can tell you there's no more 'point' to it than there is to deliberately wearing vintage clothes. It's just a fashion look/style aesthetic like any other - I thought I looked damn cool back then! To be fair it was never as ultra-low as some kids' today which seem to defy gravity, but it was definitely low enough to be indecent if I hadn't been wearing the aforementioned shorts. There's also probably a big element of annoying/confusing your parents. "Can't you wear your trousers pulled up?" "No! :p "

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I had an odd one today. I went to pick up my Freddie's jeans from the tailor - I am wearing plimsolls, bobby socks, Stop Staring Allie jeans, a leather jacket and my hair is up in a pomp. My tailor said "I love those jeans you are wearing - they are so up to date!" lol

Miss sofia

One Too Many
lol lol lol

Actually i do agree with Fleur's comment, it's just a question of aesthetics, no different from how we dress and i used to wear some shocking clothes when i was young, 501's with the bum and knees ripped out and spotty boxers underneath etc, I know it's all about fashion and keeping up with the currrent trends, and by thinking otherwise we run the risk or becoming a little fuddy-duddy, but those jeans down round by the knees, well they get me everytime, i just want to run up behind them and hoik 'em up!

Plus i am not averse to admiring a pert derriere on rather a nice young chap, and well, those jeans are spoiling my fun! :eusa_doh:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
Speaking as someone who used to wear extremely low-slung jeans as a teenager (I would wear one normal pair of knickers and then a pair of fancy or plain hot pants which were the ones 'on show', so no one actually saw my undies, though it looked like they did), I can tell you there's no more 'point' to it than there is to deliberately wearing vintage clothes. It's just a fashion look/style aesthetic like any other - I thought I looked damn cool back then! To be fair it was never as ultra-low as some kids' today which seem to defy gravity, but it was definitely low enough to be indecent if I hadn't been wearing the aforementioned shorts. There's also probably a big element of annoying/confusing your parents. "Can't you wear your trousers pulled up?" "No! :p "

I know that there no "point" to the current trend - that was just my turn of phrase - I suppose it's the same as girls showing off those jewelled thongs a few years ago (never was my thing - they always looked scratchy and uncomfortable!) - it's just because it's blokes sporting this revealing trend I suppose and not girls....

Miss Sofia - I love when I see really glam older ladies - I saw this particular lady at the airport in Nice and she was immaculate - her hair was a lovely blonde and perfectly coiffed, nice black trouser suit and these beautiful turquoise earrings - everyone was staring at her. She may have been in her mid-sixties but she was the one commanding all the attention from everyone! I hope to look that nicely put together when I get to her age!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yes me too Miss G, although i'm always drooling over your purchases, you have a classic style which is timeless. (It's friday, i'm feeling the love, what can i say)!

Airports are always great for people watching i find. I suppose as has been said it's finding out what suits you and having your own personal style and then running with it all the way. I'm still learning, but i'm getting there, all the inspiration from the lovely ladies here has been a great help though. x

annet

One of the Regulars
i wonder where you all see these stylish old ladies, or are they pretty rare? most ladies here seem to have drowned in a sea of peach and giant polyester jackets...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo