Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Miss sofia said:
Yes me too Miss G, although i'm always drooling over your purchases, you have a classic style which is timeless. (It's friday, i'm feeling the love, what can i say)!

Airports are always great for people watching i find. I suppose as has been said it's finding out what suits you and having your own personal style and then running with it all the way. I'm still learning, but i'm getting there, all the inspiration from the lovely ladies here has been a great help though. x

Aww thanks Miss Sofia! Some Friday love right back atcha!

I love when I see people dressed up at the airport - certain people seem to stick in my mind - there was another young lady at the airport one time in a beautiful fitted trench and what looked like a primrose yellow Hermes scarf - trenches weren't really back in fashion at the time but I thought she looked fabulous - funny how some things just stay with you!

Annet - I think it's quite rare to come across these well dressed older ladies - I think that as women get older they can lose a bit of their style - probably something to do with the fear of dressing too young, the whole "mutton dressed as lamb" thing. My Mum (who is in her late 70's) looks great for her age but is so reluctant to wear some things that I know would look amazing on her - she always says "Those shoes/trousers are lovely but I think on someone my age they would look a bit ridiculous" and I roll my eyes because I think they'd be great on her but I have no chance of getting her to even try them on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MissHawthorne

New in Town
I agree on the point that most older ladies do fall into bad dressing habits. However, today on my plane I had two darling ladies in plaid jackets and lovely sweaters and khakis with their hair all done up in lovely soft waves. On top of it? They had the nicest personalities I've ever met. I complimented them profusely, and may have gotten jacket envy.

That's the kind of lady I want to be when I get old.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Miss Golightly said:
Aww thanks Miss Sofia! Some Friday love right back atcha!

I love when I see people dressed up at the airport - certain people seem to stick in my mind - there was another young lady at the airport one time in a beautiful fitted trench and what looked like a primrose yellow Hermes scarf - trenches weren't really back in fashion at the time but I thought she looked fabulous - funny how some things just stay with you!

Annet - I think it's quite rare to come across these well dressed older ladies - I think that as women get older they can lose a bit of their style - probably something to do with the fear of dressing too young, the whole "mutton dressed as lamb" thing. My Mum (who is in her late 70's) looks great for her age but is so reluctant to wear some things that I know would look amazing on her - she always says "Those shoes/trousers are lovely but I think on someone my age they would look a bit ridiculous" and I roll my eyes because I think they'd be great on her but I have no chance of getting her to even try them on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is rare in my opinion to see too many well-dressed oldies, so i always pounce on the stylish ones haha and i definately think the mutton issue does come into play or perhaps they get stuck in a style rut a bit. I have some older customers who are a bit "i feel invisible, so i might as well look invisible", which is very sad. I always try to gently coax them into trying something a bit new, and i find most women if they are too afraid to change their style of clothing can usually be persuaded with a pretty coloured scarf or a new pair of earrings or something to brighten themselves up a bit. All girls love sparkles regardless of age!! I know my Mum is like that too, she is very attractive for her age and has a lovely figure and i always try and get her to try new things but she is terrified of making "a spectacle of herself". Although she does pinch all my coats and costume jewellery when she stays so i'm wearing her down a bit!

Marla

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
Speaking as someone who used to wear extremely low-slung jeans as a teenager (I would wear one normal pair of knickers and then a pair of fancy or plain hot pants which were the ones 'on show', so no one actually saw my undies, though it looked like they did), I can tell you there's no more 'point' to it than there is to deliberately wearing vintage clothes. It's just a fashion look/style aesthetic like any other - I thought I looked damn cool back then! To be fair it was never as ultra-low as some kids' today which seem to defy gravity, but it was definitely low enough to be indecent if I hadn't been wearing the aforementioned shorts. There's also probably a big element of annoying/confusing your parents. "Can't you wear your trousers pulled up?" "No! :p "

Fleur, you should post a photo in the Before And After Vintage thread. I can't picture you not in vintage!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Miss sofia said:
lol lol lol
but those jeans down round by the knees, well they get me everytime, i just want to run up behind them and hoik 'em up!

That's funny, I'm always itching to pull 'em down...and RUN like a demon! (Pants on the ground...) :D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Marla said:
Fleur, you should post a photo in the Before And After Vintage thread. I can't picture you not in vintage!
There are photos on my blog somewhere!

bunnyb.gal said:
That's funny, I'm always itching to pull 'em down...and RUN like a demon! (Pants on the ground...) :D

I have to say, I did get 'pantsed' once, during heavy metal night at my local club, in 1997. I never wore one of those webbing skater belts again - only strong leather ones lol

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
There are photos on my blog somewhere!

I have to say, I did get 'pantsed' once, during heavy metal night at my local club, in 1997. I never wore one of those webbing skater belts again - only strong leather ones lol

What's a webbing skater belt?!

annet

One of the Regulars
i was wearing my sailor pants and someone on the street told me i looked like a tintin character!

tintin-top.jpg

i was a bit confused since there are very few female characters in tintin, but she later said she meant the 'overall atmosphere'.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Puzzicato said:
I had an odd one today. I went to pick up my Freddie's jeans from the tailor - I am wearing plimsolls, bobby socks, Stop Staring Allie jeans, a leather jacket and my hair is up in a pomp. My tailor said "I love those jeans you are wearing - they are so up to date!" lol

YES. This is the story of my life. I guess it's due to vintage being trendy and all; I get people telling me how modern and chic my outfits are. I feel weird complaining, 'cause that's a major compliment for most people. Imagine, I wish people would tell me my clothes looked decades out of style lol .

crwritt

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
A patron at the theatre tonite gaped at my hair -- which was up in a headrag, with only the front roll visible -- and declared "that MUST be a WIG!"

I don't often get left speechless, but that time I did.

Lizzie she thought your "costume" looked so perfect it couldn't have been your own hair.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
A patron at the theatre tonite gaped at my hair -- which was up in a headrag, with only the front roll visible -- and declared "that MUST be a WIG!"

I don't often get left speechless, but that time I did.
A friend of mine has very beautiful hair but it is very big and full and very black. She often wears it in rolls or vintage looking styles. She told me that she is often gets the wig comment. Strange.... that people think because you have nice styled hair it must be fake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo