Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
I must be lucky in that i have only had nice comments. there is one lady in work who always tells me i look like a brunette Marilyn which is a complete lie but lovely to hear nonetheless!

i don't actually have any vintage clothing, just vintage style stuff, but when i was wearing my dress that i made (the butterick walkaway) with full on red lippy and curled hair, this man in a traffic jam wound down his window to tell me i looked sexy! made my day i can tell you

oh actually, my 9 year old step son asked me where i got my 'costume' on Friday - i was wearing a black pencil skirt with shirt and stockings and high heels. did give me a giggle!

Drappa

One Too Many
We were at the seafront today with the inlaws and while I was walking a man poked me on the shoulder to tell me that my dress was beautiful (50's dress with big petticoat underneath). A bit later as we were walking across a field our dog went over to two women and they came over to us and said that they had been talking about us yesterday... :confused: They asked if we dressed like that every day (hubby was wearing a fedora), and when I said mostly, she said she saw us showing our 50's house on tv. When the lady saw my confused look she realised it wasn't me, as I haven't been on tv, nor do I live in a 50's style house sadly. I guess to some non-vintage dressers we must all look the same!

Marla

A-List Customer
Drappa, you have the best encounters!! Wonderfully funny and shocking. Perhaps you should have cameras following you around!

Kiri

One of the Regulars
That's hilarious Drappa! I suppose when you're not used to something like that everything does look the same. :)

Drappa

One Too Many
I guess the funniest part is that I don't look *that* vintage, because my hair styling skills are shocking. Then again, I love in a town in which a mob attacked a paediatrician thinking he was a paedophile because of his job title...:/

wahine

Practically Family
When I was wearing this dress (with matching gloves) at an Oldies Festival the other week, a man took a picture of me, and asked me if it's really vintage. Then he asked if I go dressed up like this every day. On my saying No, he came closer (too close), touched my arm as if I was a cute puppy and said very loud:
Oh you REALLY SHOULD wear this EVERY DAY, why don't you, PLEASE?!!
It was supposed to be a compliment but I felt as if he wanted to take me home to put me in his vitrina...

Drappa

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
Dear god - tell me that is a joke?!

So were they talking about you or the people on TV?
Apparently it really happened ten years ago, but I didn't live here then.
And she was talking about the people on tv, but thought we were them.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Drappa said:
Apparently it really happened ten years ago, but I didn't live here then.
And she was talking about the people on tv, but thought we were them.

Oh well that's good - at least random people in your town weren't talking about you behind your back!

Your dog needs to learn not to talk to strangers...

ETA - fortunately it looks like the other thing is a bit of an urban legend http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4719364.stm although the vandalism is bad enough!

Drappa

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
Oh well that's good - at least random people in your town weren't talking about you behind your back!

Your dog needs to learn not to talk to strangers...

ETA - fortunately it looks like the other thing is a bit of an urban legend http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4719364.stm although the vandalism is bad enough!
Oh wow, that's good to know! People told us that story when we first moved here, but I never actually googled it. Makes me feel a bit better :)

Veronica

New in Town
MirandaFern said:
I discovered that my mother has me in a "Beauty Box". That is, she is convinced that I need to wear certain colors and not deviate from that. If it were up to her, I would still be wearing the first shade of shell pink lipstick she bought me when I was in 8th grade.

She nearly flipped out at the Estee Lauder counter (we go shopping togehter once a month), when I selected "Classic Red" lipstick as my free gift with purchase, telling the Make-Up Lady that I'm a "Pink Girl." So red lipstick has gone on the list of "Things Not to Buy when Mom is Around, Lest She Say Something Snarky"...other list items include Twin Sets, Spectator Pumps....

Fiance says he doesn't care what color my lipstick is, he just doesn't understand why I need a whole range of shades..."Isn't Red just RED?"

Thank you MirandaFern for your comment, you were right about beauty boxes !

Last week-end my friends (the same boys who were quite virulent about red lipstick ) explained that they had been shocked to discover my very own kind of beauty.
I jumped from the "Flawless Fat Girl Buddy" box to the "Charming Curvy Woman Buddy" box.

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
I was at a funeral today (ok not the best way to start a post :rolleyes: ) but near the end of the mass the fiancé of my uncles brother came up to me, grabbed me in near and said that I looked like a movie star from old films and that I was gorgeous! Apart from attending the funeral it made my day!

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Do any of you ladies encounter other women in full vintage a lot? I have never actually seen anyone else dress in head to toe vintage like I've been known to...usually in Toronto people tend to more "mix and match" wearing a vintage dress with modern accessories or vintage bag and shoes.

For the first time ever, while I was driving, I saw a woman walking down the street with victory rolls in her hair. I yelled to my boyfriend in the passenger seat (he is now deaf) "OMG! Did you see that lady??? She had victory rolls! VICTORY ROLLS!!!" And I proceeded to turn the wheel in the direction I was looking. I would have ended up in the opposite lane of traffic if my b/f hadn't jerked the wheel back!!! He then said he was trying not to be insulted from the fact that this was the most excited he had seen me in ages! lol

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I bumped into two people in London who were absolutely accurately dressed in 40s clothes. I literally went over squeeling to them and they were so pleased that there were all 3 of us dressed in vintage and were into the events, clothes etc. We had a really brief chat, but got on so well. Unfortunately I was so beside myself that I forgot to get numbers before I dashed to the train station. I was so excited!

But that's been the only time in public so far.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I sent my 90 year old grandmother some photos of some of the dresses Ive made. I called her to see if she got them. She liked them and was somewhat amazed at how well they looked, but then she said, "My mother used to wear a dress like that."

I just beamed.

LD

Miss sofia

One Too Many
MaryMary said:
Do any of you ladies encounter other women in full vintage a lot? I have never actually seen anyone else dress in head to toe vintage like I've been known to...usually in Toronto people tend to more "mix and match" wearing a vintage dress with modern accessories or vintage bag and shoes.

For the first time ever, while I was driving, I saw a woman walking down the street with victory rolls in her hair. I yelled to my boyfriend in the passenger seat (he is now deaf) "OMG! Did you see that lady??? She had victory rolls! VICTORY ROLLS!!!" And I proceeded to turn the wheel in the direction I was looking. I would have ended up in the opposite lane of traffic if my b/f hadn't jerked the wheel back!!! He then said he was trying not to be insulted from the fact that this was the most excited he had seen me in ages! lol
There used to be a lady in our town who ran a restaurant and she used to dress top to toe in forties every day, even when she was at the outdoor market buying fruit and veg with the rest of us mere mortals, she used to wear seamed stockings and rolls in her hain and a smart suit with a fur tippet, she was an inspiration and i used to gawp i have to admit when she walked past as she just looked so amazing all the time!

Lenore

Practically Family
I had an interview on Thursday and immediately went to my hubby and my group afterwards. There was a completely new crowd as we've been bad about not going for a couple of months now and none of the people there had every seen me, let alone seen me dressed up. :rolleyes:

One of the new ladies stared at me the whole time and after told me that I reminded her of this lady in a movie.. with airplanes..and the 30's... (which totally narrows it down) but then she mentioned Ben Aflack and I knew she was talking about Pearl Harbor. She also gushed about my shoes. Another of the new ladies came up to me during break privately and told me how much she liked my look and thought I looked great.

It made me feel pretty good after the interview was pretty much a wash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy