Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Amusing compliment (at least I'll take it as one) - at a stop sign on my old Schwinn, wearing a1940's inspired rayon dress, 1938 vintage sunglasses and wingtip shoes. Car pulls up alongside and I could just feel some eyes on me so I give a side glance. Nice couple - lady says she loves my look and the gentleman says, "You make us want to party like it's 1944!" Since they didn't indulge in any conspiratorial laughter amongst themselves after having said that, I'll take it as kind words and a clever sense of humor. And what the heck, I'll hoist a Nehi to that!

Marla

A-List Customer
Whenever I look especially good I get heckled, and usually by people with horrendous grammar. Take today: "Is that the '50s?" Such episodes always remind me of Oscar Wilde's famous epigram.

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Last night I was in town meeting a friend for a couple of drinks - we got ourselves a nice seat in one of Dublin's oldest pubs and were having a great catch up - it was my turn to go to the bar when this guy stopped me and said "I have a quick question for you - I love your dress - can I ask where you got it? I'm in the rag trade and just had to ask" so I just said "It's vintage Saks Fifth Avenue" and no sooner had I said it than his extremely drunk friend came out of no where and tried to hug me - I shoved him away - in the meantime his friend was still going on about the cut of my dress and how much he liked it and we were discussing vintage and where I bought it - however, at the same time his grubby and quite drunk friend starts leering at me saying what a flat stomach I had and if I did sit-ups - in a firm voice I said "A lady never discusses that kind of thing" and ignored him - his friend was not drunk and was very polite so we again went back to our conversation - still the disgusting drunk guy is giving a running commentary on my figure and how much he liked it - I kept ignoring him. I can tell and "good" drunk from a bad "drunk" and this guy was a bad one - he was clearly drinking all day and was getting a bit on the aggressive side - particularly as I was ignoring him. Another friend appeared and dragged him away and meantime the decent one was apologising for his friend's behaviour. I was quite shocked in a way because I haven't been approached in that manner for a very long time (I'm usually out with my husband). The decent guy was leaving but went over to my friend to again say how much he liked my dress and then they left.

So it was nice to have my dress appreciated but the moment was spoiled by the drunk guy's leering and all round oafish behaviour - those kind of aggressive drunks can't be reasoned with so it was best to just ignore him. I imagine he has the hangover from hell today......good enough for him.

Flicka

One Too Many
MissG, I feel for you. I hope he has a hangover and that his friend tells him what an idiot he was. We can throw in a random food poisoning as well. Bad prawns?

Whenever I look especially good I get heckled, and usually by people with horrendous grammar. Take today: "Is that the '50s?"

Always disconcerting to run into the random decade. :)

I once again got "you look like a movie star!" So far that's the most common compliment I've gotten for my clothes. I also told a girl I really wanted to open an antique shop, and she looked at me and said: "Yeah, I can see that." I think it was meant as a compliment so I took it as one!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
MissG, I feel for you. I hope he has a hangover and that his friend tells him what an idiot he was. We can throw in a random food poisoning as well. Bad prawns?

The guy was such an idiot - you can just tell this is the kind of thing he ends up doing every time he gets plastered - nothing worse than a bad drunk! I'm sure he is more than paying for his bad behaviour today - if I could have shovelled some bad prawns into him believe me I would have!

I once again got "you look like a movie star!" So far that's the most common compliment I've gotten for my clothes. I also told a girl I really wanted to open an antique shop, and she looked at me and said: "Yeah, I can see that." I think it was meant as a compliment so I took it as one!

That's a lovely compliment and here's to you opening your first antique shop - that would be perfect for you!

helsabot

New in Town
My boyfriend and I can't go anywhere dressed vintage without being stopped or asked to pose for a photo. It gets a little irritating sometimes, as we would rather get where we're going unmolested.

Once, when I was in a very put together early 60s outfit (an outfit which was, looking back, a little too mature of a look for my age) shopping with my mother, a passerby asked if I was in costume for a movie. My mom's reply: "She's in costume for her life!" My mom loves my clothes, as they remind her of growing up in the 50s and 60s.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I got a new one today. I had a random stranger come up to me and tell me I had great eye brows. She said they reminded her of Betty Grable's . Which made my day because that was who's picture I brought with me when I got them done.

SheBear74

Practically Family
I was at a jewelry party tonight with some of the other "marching band" moms. They are pretty used to me and how I dress but we where talking about how long it takes to get ready. Then the conversation turned to how I dress at home. I said I dress like this... I was wearing a pink sweater and a pencil type skirt I had just made. They where shocked and even asked me the question a couple more times. lol I told them I do it cause it makes me feel pretty. I had to throw in that I put on a pretty 50s house dress and apron when I clean. I love the look on their faces, it was like they just didn't believe me. It was cracking me up!

rue

I was at a jewelry party tonight with some of the other "marching band" moms. They are pretty used to me and how I dress but we where talking about how long it takes to get ready. Then the conversation turned to how I dress at home. I said I dress like this... I was wearing a pink sweater and a pencil type skirt I had just made. They where shocked and even asked me the question a couple more times. lol I told them I do it cause it makes me feel pretty. I had to throw in that I put on a pretty 50s house dress and apron when I clean. I love the look on their faces, it was like they just didn't believe me. It was cracking me up!

It cracks me up too! :) My sister-in-law, in particular, can't get over the fact that I clean the house in a dress. It's mind boggling to her lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It amazes me that people don't understand that there's actually much more freedom of motion for housework in a housedress than in pants. As long as there aren't 40mph winds blowing in your kitchen, you'll find it much more comfortable.

SheBear74

Practically Family
It amazes me that people don't understand that there's actually much more freedom of motion for housework in a housedress than in pants. As long as there aren't 40mph winds blowing in your kitchen, you'll find it much more comfortable.

I find it way more comfortable to wear a dress! I did mention that as well. Some of the ladies bragged at how little time they spend getting ready in the morning. I admitted that it does take some time to "spackle my face" which had them laughing. As a housewife though I have that luxury of taking time for myself and I'm not going to feel bad about it. ;)

Flicka

One Too Many
Today at a job meeting I was told 1) "you look like you belong in a '50s fashion magazine" and b) "you probably get this all of the time, but I always think of Mad Men when I see you" by two different females.

Could be worse! Of course, the Mad Men reference, yes, I DO get that all of the time! :)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Out for dinner the other week wearing a 60's olive green silk mix wiggle dress and white coat & gloves, the hostess came over and asked if our meal was to our liking, so I said it was delicious and she said "I had to say it to you - you look gorgeous - so glamourous! I was only thinking how much I loved your outfit when you came in!" - I was so delighted to hear that - it made my evening!

I think so many men/women - maybe women in particular - love to see other women dressed in vintage clothing and admire the effort that's put in - that it's more elegant a look than what's usually seen out and about.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Last night I was in town meeting a friend for a couple of drinks - we got ourselves a nice seat in one of Dublin's oldest pubs and were having a great catch up - it was my turn to go to the bar when this guy stopped me and said "I have a quick question for you - I love your dress - can I ask where you got it? I'm in the rag trade and just had to ask" so I just said "It's vintage Saks Fifth Avenue" and no sooner had I said it than his extremely drunk friend came out of no where and tried to hug me - I shoved him away - in the meantime his friend was still going on about the cut of my dress and how much he liked it and we were discussing vintage and where I bought it - however, at the same time his grubby and quite drunk friend starts leering at me saying what a flat stomach I had and if I did sit-ups - in a firm voice I said "A lady never discusses that kind of thing" and ignored him - his friend was not drunk and was very polite so we again went back to our conversation - still the disgusting drunk guy is giving a running commentary on my figure and how much he liked it - I kept ignoring him. I can tell and "good" drunk from a bad "drunk" and this guy was a bad one - he was clearly drinking all day and was getting a bit on the aggressive side - particularly as I was ignoring him. Another friend appeared and dragged him away and meantime the decent one was apologising for his friend's behaviour. I was quite shocked in a way because I haven't been approached in that manner for a very long time (I'm usually out with my husband). The decent guy was leaving but went over to my friend to again say how much he liked my dress and then they left.

So it was nice to have my dress appreciated but the moment was spoiled by the drunk guy's leering and all round oafish behaviour - those kind of aggressive drunks can't be reasoned with so it was best to just ignore him. I imagine he has the hangover from hell today......good enough for him.

Time for a Three Stooges eye poke *boink* AHHHHH!

lframe

One of the Regulars
@Miss Golightly I get comments even when I'm not dressed in vintage/vintage style that people just appreciate the fact that I actually took time with my appearance. Little things can be huge in the days of yoga pants and tank-tops in restaurants.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
@Miss Golightly I get comments even when I'm not dressed in vintage/vintage style that people just appreciate the fact that I actually took time with my appearance. Little things can be huge in the days of yoga pants and tank-tops in restaurants.

That's so true!

I really have to wonder about people who think it's more than fine to wear yoga pants in a restaurant - I seriously can't get my head around it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21