Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by ITG, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Espee

Espee Practically Family

That photo makes me think of Claude Rains... in drag.

2. Ms*Raven*Lady

Ms*Raven*Lady New in Town

Wow! I'd love to have a uniform like that! Wouldn't it be great if nurses could still dress like this, instead of having to wear unflattering scrubs? :)

3. JennieWren

JennieWren Familiar Face

You know, I have actually considered going in to work in a repro dress (since I sew all my scrubs anyway), but live in horror that that would be the day I would have to crawl up on top of some really big dude to do chest compressions and flash my knickers at the entire code team. The naughty nurse image is not the kind of professional image that I want to project!

4. sheeplady

sheeplady I'll Lock Up Bartender

The last two days I was asked to co-teach a session for our distance doctorate program. I know a few well, some ok, and some I've never met. Today one of the gentlemen came up to me today and said "Oh, when I saw you yesterday, I thought maybe you were just dressed that way for an event. But this is how you dress everyday? It's just you're style? That's *great*!" He was really impressed. Made me feel good. :)

Absolutely made my day. My good friend also told me that I looked "So sexy. I'm green with envy." She is a darling.

5. Louise Anne

Louise Anne Suspended

Last week end I wore a vintage inspired look around my home town for the very first time , and I did not get any comment made ever way, a couple of ladies did have a good look whilst I was waiting to pay for a pair of ear rings, they did say anything to each other.
    I did in the end wear a pair of black seamed stocking and bright red shade of lipstick which i thought either might attract some attention ... nothing ... so I an very pleased with that.

6. wahine

wahine Practically Family

Paul, it's great that you did that and wonderful that you're happy with the reaction (or rather non-reaction) of the people.

Not a very extraordinary comment, but the first one I got from a stranger:
    Recently, I've been wearing vintage far more often than modern. People often look, but no one ever said anything (northern Germans aren't really the outgoing types ;) ).
    The other day, I wore a vintage inspired look (high waisted brown linen skirt, white top, white t-strap sandals and a head scarf). A man stopped walking when he saw me and said: "You look fantastic in that outfit!" (with an emphasis on the *fantastic*). I'm not even sure if he noticed the vintage touch, but I was flattered anyway.

7. William Stratford

William Stratford A-List Customer

I wonder, do the ladies find the responses tend to be more appreciative whilst the gents tend to find it attracts sniggers (except from the older generation who appear to value any effort on our part)?

Yikes! Faux Pas! I did not realise this was in the powderroom!
    note to self: pay more attention to where threads are located
    *backs out discreetly* :eek:

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  8. ThesFlishThngs

ThesFlishThngs One Too Many

All I can say to that is when I see a gentleman who's taken care with his appearance by adding classic/vintage touches I'm tempted to let him know I've taken notice. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, depending on whether I feel I can express myself in a sincere way that won't come across as flirty.
    Also, at times, depending upon my wine intake. ;)

9. wahine

wahine Practically Family

I second that :D

10. Flicka

Flicka One Too Many

I can only say that I, personally, get appreciative comments FROM ladies, rather than from men.

11. Louise Anne

Louise Anne Suspended

William my Dad (in his 80's) will pass comment and noticve how smarty some one is dressed a man or women , and how standards are dropping these days etc, he would have to know them very well to say it to there face, a stranger he not say any thing either way , becuse he a gentleman.

12. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

I'm glad to hear this too Paul, I bet you looked a treat :)

13. Louise Anne

Louise Anne Suspended

Thanks C-dot I going to do a photos when the timming right and I am home alone

14. MissNathalieVintage

MissNathalieVintage A-List Customer

After singing at the independence day concert. A lady saw me came over and told me you look like you belong on the cover of a 1940's WWII Look magazine. It made my day extra special.

15. Miss Tuppence

Miss Tuppence A-List Customer

At the weekend a lady asked me what relation I was to my mother and then went on to say that she thought we were sisters. :eeek:I bet my face was a picture- I was totally aghast to say the least!!!
    Only a couple of years ago a man thought I was 15- blimey I’ve aged badly, eh;)

16. sheeplady

sheeplady I'll Lock Up Bartender

Strangers tell me that they think my mother and I are sisters all the time. I think part of it is how we interact with each other more than anything else. Or so I hope. ;)

17. W-D Forties

W-D Forties Practically Family

I think it's because people genuinely find it hard to put an age on a woman who isn't either dressed like something from Jersey Shore or Mrs Thatcher. They probably just don't know how to take you. There's a wonderful history teacher in my school who's very into the 50's, with a beehive and cat's eye glasses. She looks brilliant but there's no way I could judge her age and I wouldn't dare try!

By the way Tuppence, that wasn't you doing the voice over for the female spy on BBC2 the other night was it? It was a fabulous programme about double and triple agents during WW2, I can't remember what it was called, but it was on Monday or Tuesday.

18. Miss Tuppence

I guess that's it- people have always said I look older than my sister who is (nearly three years my senior) but I don't mind that too much!
    And no it wasn't me- I haven't made my way in TV yet and nor would I want to! I remember being interviewed for TV once and I looked quite green after the ordeal!
    I’ll have to find the programme on iplayer, sounds good :)
    t x

19. Miss Tuppence

Well we do enjoy each others company (well, most of the time!) and are more like friends when we are out and about, so again, that could be the reason. My dad just said the lady was short of sight!!!;)

20. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

Today a very sweet lady who came to our office told me I remind her of "olden times - like the lady from Peyton Place". I asked her if she meant Lana Turner and she said yes - I could have hugged her! :eek: