Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

rue

The other day I was in the grocery store and this woman that just started working there screamed. I looked up startled and she said "I'm so sorry, but you look like someone out of the past!" and then she went on to point me out to everyone in the store. Of course, everyone that worked there already knew me, because I'm a regular, so they just nodded. She was really sweet, but she scared the life out of me lol

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
The other day I was in the grocery store and this woman that just started working there screamed. I looked up startled and she said "I'm so sorry, but you look like someone out of the past!" and then she went on to point me out to everyone in the store. Of course, everyone that worked there already knew me, because I'm a regular, so they just nodded. She was really sweet, but she scared the life out of me lol

One night, walking down the street in one of my vintage ensembles with my coat collar up and my hat pulled down low from the cold, I went walking in the fog by my house, when I came to the intersection in the middle of my block, under the (then) only light, some guy saw me, took a double take and went "EEEP!" and went running the other way. I presume that he thought I was a ghost. It didn't scare me, I just started bellowing out laughing at the absurdity. I think I was maybe 14 at the time. We should have a thread on here called "Have you been mistaken for a ghost or spectre yet?" Hahahaaa!

Kathleen'sMeg43

New in Town
One of the first times I ever wore vintage to church a little older lady came up to me and in her shaky voice said, "You remind me of the "Boogie Woogie Bugle boy!" I took it as a compliment. :D

Luckily I've only ever heard nice things in public about vintage wear. (Now wearing Civil war clothes in public did get some odd looks... but never vintage!)

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Best comment ever; "Wow! Can I take a picture of you for my magazine?!", to be fair, I don't know that I ever ended up in a magazine or anything...Who knows?

Scratch the first one written!

BEST COMMENT EVER; Little old lady in her late 80s at least, tells me "You know, young man, you remind me of how the young gentlemen used to dress when I was a little girl!" (I was wearing detachable collar, pocketwatch, 3 pc suit, homburg, gloves, cane, et all.

Worst comment ever; Biker walks up to me at a gas station where I'm waiting for a ride because my car bombed out up the road, he says "Hey, nice suit man; give me your money, I need gas (while hitting his open palm with a tire thumper bat in his other hand and grinning at me). I said "Thanks, but I really can't help you.", he said "Aww, too bad for you", and lunged at me, I dodged, and smashed the side of his helmet with a squeegie so hard that his helmet flew off and he fell down covered in gray soap scum water. Actually, pretty epic. He tried running me over with his bike but I whacked him in the face again with the squeegie as he came at me, and he flew off onto the lawn of an apartment building, hit a brick planter edging and flew off into a bush. Late night fun at the gas station folks! YIKES!

Last edited:

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
One of the first times I ever wore vintage to church a little older lady came up to me and in her shaky voice said, "You remind me of the "Boogie Woogie Bugle boy!" I took it as a compliment. :D

Luckily I've only ever heard nice things in public about vintage wear. (Now wearing Civil war clothes in public did get some odd looks... but never vintage!)

I Love little old ladies! They are almost always pretty nice, and so darned cute! You just want to pinch their cheeks or something! Great pic by the by, Kathleen'sMeg43! What State do you call home when you're there? Hehe

P.S. Welcome to the Fedora Lounge!

-Evan

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I don't dress head to toe vintage, more classic. But- I always get stopped for my hair and red lips. When it was longer and I took the time to curl/style it, always was old hollywood or Dita. Now that I've had a Louise bob for a few years it's like people have never seen this cut before. Always thrown by blunt bangs. [huh]The senior crowd loves it! I'm in the process of growing it out now.

wahine

Practically Family
I hear "You look older" a lot. I don't really mind, since I actually look younger than I really am; so with the vintage styling I might look my real age.
But I often get the impression that a vintage styling (if it's not a pin-up styling) is usually considered verrry unsexy. Like every woman who wears a blouse is a grandmother! And how dare you cover your knees or wear pants that don't show everything (you know what I mean, camel t..) ?!!
Sometimes I pity that many modern people, both men and women, often can't see the subtle sexiness that vintage styling can have. Anyway, if my choice is "show it all or be unsexy", then I'll gladly choose the latter.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I usally get allot of "where are you going" or "you look all dressed up" I notice allot of non-vintage wearing girls make comments like "aww you are dressed so cute, I usally dress cute" lol whatever that is supose to mean lol. But lately I have been going to a friends house allot, and he has allot of friend traffic coming in and out constantly and I was so flattered with the amount of comments I get wile I am there! mostly from the fellas which amazed me because I would have never thought that they would be into vintage anything what so ever haha but they seemed to enjoy it allot :) lfor example I walked into my buddy's room and he had a few guy friend sittin there, and as soon as I walk in one said "I really like how you dress alot" and he made that comment about 3 more times!! I just said thank you modestly and smiled:) and everytime I sit on a bar stool wile wearing my 1940s outfites I always get "you sitting on that fits your look great" I just say thank you and blush a bit haha I like to think it is a breath of fresh air to the younger generation of fellas to see a properly kept young lady :D

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
I get Dita comments a lot which makes me happy cause she's so pretty. :) And I get asked if I'm an actress. Even though most contemporary actresses wear pretty much anything but classic hollywood style apparantly that image is firmly stuck in people's heads. I rarely get negative comments, just sometimes a little too much attention from random male strangers.

Hat'sThat!

New in Town
And I get asked if I'm an actress. Even though most contemporary actresses wear pretty much anything but classic hollywood style apparantly that image is firmly stuck in people's heads.
I had that comment the other week. A friend's girlfriend who I had just met said I look like a 30s film star. I wasn't even dressed vintage, just curled my hair like Dita's. I thought that was nice :)

St. Louis

Practically Family
Well, you ladies must be very lovely. I never get that. Do you know what people ask me? They want to know whether I'm a schoolteacher. That's fine; I'm not in the least ashamed of it. What's scarier, though: you don't want to know how often I've been mistaken for a nun. There's nothing that will stop you in your tracks faster than being called "sister," and I am perfectly sure they didn't mean that in a 1940s kind of way.

Mabel

New in Town
I don't get comments so often, but what I have noticed is that men tend to treat me more formally when I am dolled up vintage. They are more likely to hold open doors and elevators, call me Ma'am, stuff like that. I've even had men apologize for accidentally cursing in front of me, as if I were their Grandmother. That's always interesting, I like it.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I know this is the womens section but like the other male poster stated , I get comments all the time " and so do I and I have yet to this date gotten a bad comment from someone .
I was out with my wife last weekend and a woman walked by us , stopped looked at me and stated " you look so handsome" and I rolled my eyes at my wife as if to say " she thinks I'M handsome ,hu ??? )

All the Best , Fashion Frank

susan

Familiar Face
It´s really funny when you get a stupid comment or look from a camel t.. girl who´s wearing way too tight stretch jeans or leggings...Usually I reply with a "fasten your seatbelts" Bette Davis face :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner