Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Lenore

Practically Family
Anyone else get the "Flo from Progressive" comments?

On another note, I had a customer just tell me that he loved my "1920's look" and that it really suits me. "The only people I see trying to do that with their hair are goth girls and girls on the old car magazines. It doesn't suit them like it does you." It's nice to be told that I'm getting it right, even if they're not sure WHAT I'm getting right. ;)

Last edited:

mmissanachronism

New in Town
I live in an area where people very rarely dress vintage, so I get looks. The best comment I've gotten is "You look like a hundred year old doll." I don't know if it was supposed to be a compliment, but I took it as one!

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Anyone else get the "Flo from Progressive" comments?

Ugh. I've gotten this (when my hair was dark). Especially when I'm out with my car at a car show.
I mean I'm sure she's lovely and all but I can't stand Flo! lol
I think her makeup and hair just looks off.

Lenore

Practically Family
I think I get Flo and Elizabeth Taylor the most... which is such an odd combination...

I got told today "Are you trying to channel Liz Taylor, or did you do that by accident? Because you nailed it!" today from one of my customers. I'm still preening.

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
People tell me that I look vintage even when I'm not purposefully going for that look. My dad often compares my style to Donna Reed. People tell me I look sexy or hot. And I often I'm told that I look like a vintage actress and called "glamour girl". I've had one person compare me to Marilyn, which is funny because I'm a brunette with an olive complexion! I've never been compared to Flo.....watch, now I will. :p Lenore, I immediately thought of Liz Taylor when I saw your picture!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A while ago, I've re-decided to "slap on" red lipstick. (since I've started working, I've been "going with the flow" with my co-workers, meaning: NOT wearing 1940s skirts, NOT polishing my nails inappropriately red.. and definitly forgetting red lips).
Going mad that morinig, I came to work all-red.
Lips, nails.. it's a Freak show, ladies and gents! :icon_smil
I was expecting all sorts of comments (starting from the Coffee-cook [size=-2]indeed, we still keep them, not that our does much of the coffee-cooking[/size] and the Typist [size=-2]we can all type just fine, but she's still roaming the halls[/size]... OK they probably DID comment my look behind my back)
..others said nothing.
I think it was the best (or worst?) reaction I ever got: they were.. stupefied (there's a word I found in the dictionary) :third:

..finally I've asked them: "So, have you noticed that I straightened my hair?" :rofl:

Last edited:

Lenore

Practically Family
After my college advising session (yay!!! for going back to school!) I decided to stop off at the liquor store on the way home... because today just needed a hard cider... and was flirted with by the guy at the check out. He complimented me on my look saying he liked my hair and that I looked like some "30's lounge singer." I don't know about that, but it sure made me feel good!

Oh yeah... and a customer asked me today if I ever heard that I looked like Flo from Progressive...

....."Frequently..."

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
Someone told me I looked like silent era Swanson last week...
Lately, I have been getting Daisy buchannan a lot , and "oh, you must watch Downton Abbey"
Those have replaced "you look just like Ruth in fried green tomatoes!"
None of these displease me, except maybe Daisy.. I never did like that character.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
(yay!!! for going back to school!)
Great decision! :thumb:

He complimented me on my look saying he liked my hair and that I looked like some "30's lounge singer." I don't know about that, but it sure made me feel good!
Super-posh lounge singers.. that would made me happy, too.
The thing is: most of days, people just stare. They find me strange.
Me?! Pardon me, [size=-2]40+ year old and obese[/size]madam?!
pinkplush.jpg

I'm looking strange?!
*yucky*

Someone told me I looked like silent era Swanson last week...
Nice. :clap:

Lillie Librarie

New in Town
This isn't exactly about a comment I got while dressing vintage more of a slight, but since this seems to be the thread for venting your vintage dress frustrations I'll give it a go. I dress vintage (mostly 1940s and 1950s) on a regular basis especially for special events. In my experience it is well received in New Orleans and I occasionally see other ladies dressed similarly (though most of them work at Trashy Diva or the WWII museum).

The hubby and I attended a Mad Men themed party at the Hotel Monteleone in NOLA last night and it was well put on and the majority of attendees put effort into appropriate dress. There was a prize for best dressed that I wanted to win and I put some extra effort into the details of my look because of it. After perusing the crowd and getting many many complements (largely from the people old enough to have actually been there for the 1960s) and several people asking to take my picture I was confident of my success. I was however passed over for another girl who had a nice look, it was however from the wrong decade!! Her 1940s dress with a high slit revealing her "bedroom style" garters and birdcage veil were all kinds of wrong for the theme but clearly those that judged know very little about correct period dress. The winning gentlemen's attire is also a little odd but I don't have the energy to go into that. I have attached a picture of the winners and a picture of us before the party in our clearly Don and Joan toned looks. I turn to you ladies to vent as I know you can understand my frustrations in a way few others can.

558149_10151592780913669_1655878046_n.jpg

IMG_7413b.jpg

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
^^Lillie, how very “Joan” you look! Your dress is lovely (that color complements your complexion and hair color beautifully), and you and your “Don” are certainly appropriately and tastefully attired for the occasion—channeling that cool, confident ‘60s vibe. The couple that won…perhaps their ensembles would have been fitting for a different occasion, but certainly not a Mad Men theme party. From your description, her outfit sounds quite tawdry, and his…well, it’s a bit confusing, isn’t it?

Flicka

One Too Many
The other day I was walking to the tube when an elderly lady stopped me and said: "You look all 50s! Lovely!" Considering her age, she probably knew what she was talking about. :)

jessesage

New in Town
"Someone should cast you in a period piece!" I appreciate this comment but at the same time, I'm thinking, great, who is this Someone and can I have their number? :)

Lenore

Practically Family
Wow, this thread has been quiet.

This afternoon, I picked up my daughter from day care and one of the teachers there said I looked like a teenager. I didn't know how to take that. She told me she meant it as a compliment and that how I dressed made me look younger than I am in a good way. This is a change from usually hearing people tell me they can't guess my age and leaving it at that. I don't know that I want to look like a teenager though...

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Wow, this thread has been quiet.

This afternoon, I picked up my daughter from day care and one of the teachers there said I looked like a teenager. I didn't know how to take that. She told me she meant it as a compliment and that how I dressed made me look younger than I am in a good way. This is a change from usually hearing people tell me they can't guess my age and leaving it at that. I don't know that I want to look like a teenager though...

If you're half as adorable as your avatar, then I would think it's a good thing to be told you look like a teenager!

renaissancemedici

One of the Regulars
I always get compliments when I wear 1950s style, hourglass dresses, and my hair is short or in a bob. I know 1950s is my best style, but I so love the 40s...:eek:

My best "vintage" compliment came from an an older lady though. My hair is in a long bob, and she told me that I look like Natalie Wood. I was very happy to hear that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner